In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Bigjawa

Re: In todays news...

Post by Bigjawa »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:48 am

Excuses excuses!! :lol: :lol:
I still remember the Santa outfit with those boots...... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Anyway, big guy I work with, he and his missus decided early on not to have kids. His gaff is paid off, he has a nearly new Camry and is off tomorrow to New York, Poland and Lithuainia for three weeks.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:43 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:48 am

Excuses excuses!! :lol: :lol:
I still remember the Santa outfit with those boots...... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Anyway, big guy I work with, he and his missus decided early on not to have kids. His gaff is paid off, he has a nearly new Camry and is off tomorrow to New York, Poland and Lithuainia for three weeks.
LOL It still wasn't a 'come hither' photo!! Just some fun!!

And life can certainly be different with/without kids. And for years there's been pressure for everyone to have kids (and get married!).
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:13 pm

I remember my reaction was along the lines of "GAWDALLFUCKINGMIGHTY!"
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:16 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:13 pm

I remember my reaction was along the lines of "GAWDALLFUCKINGMIGHTY!"
Aw shucks :wub:

I still don't understand the reaction to that photo, but it is appreciated! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I read the BBC news website every morning for entertainment, but I always end up rolling my eyes at the newspaper headlines bit.
This morning The Sun has a headline about holiday makers in Greece being "seconds from death" or something - the fires are a challenge but no holiday makers are in danger of anything except a couple of uncomfortable nights on a mattress in a hall somewhere.

I suppose it might be the highlight of their life, before they get 'rescued' and repatriated to their dull lives somewhere, but the tabloid sensationalism gets right on my tits.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Potter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:50 am I read the BBC news website every morning for entertainment, but I always end up rolling my eyes at the newspaper headlines bit.
Same, if only for the Daily Star front page, which makes me giggle....

Anyhow, I suppose on a slow news day, when the Spanish elections are about the only other thing going on, a headline that reads 'UK tourists inconvenienced by wild fire 10km away.' just ain't gonna shift enough copies.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I've been asked to evidence my fare on public transport previously, which I've always done. That's probably why I've never ended up being arrested....

Mother wrongly accused of dodging bus fare handcuffed in front of crying child

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 80664.html

So....she had a ticket, refused to show it, gets arrested for failing to show it, then the world goes a bit bat shit crazy with M.P.s getting involved. FFS. :roll:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:44 pm I've been asked to evidence my fare on public transport previously, which I've always done. That's probably why I've never ended up being arrested....

So....she had a ticket, refused to show it, gets arrested for failing to show it, then the world goes a bit bat shit crazy with M.P.s getting involved. FFS. :roll:
Take a step back - what would have been the easy solution ...
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:54 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:44 pm I've been asked to evidence my fare on public transport previously, which I've always done. That's probably why I've never ended up being arrested....

Take a stp bak - what would have been the easy solution ...
Showing yer ticket?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:56 pm

Showing yer ticket?
You would think so - but perhaps it doesn't make you so edgy and street - and then you can throw in "You are only doing this because of ..."

Not showing your ticket ...
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:00 pm

Showing yer ticket?
but perhaps it doesn't make you so edgy and street
Mate....You can't get any edgier and streetier than me.... 8-)
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:01 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:00 pm

Showing yer ticket?
but perhaps it doesn't make you so edgy and street
Mate....You can't get any edgier and streetier than me.... 8-)
Sure , GremDogz
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

This looks incredibly like the BBC are saying a senior member of staff at RBS was disclosing false PII about a client, time for another name change?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66288464
On 4 July, the BBC reported Mr Farage no longer met the financial requirements for Coutts, citing a source familiar with the matter.

Ex-UKIP leader Mr Farage later obtained a Coutts' report which indicated his political views were also considered.

BBC News CEO Deborah Turness has written to Mr Farage to say sorry.

BBC Business Editor Simon Jack also tweeted an apology, saying his story was "from a trusted and senior source".
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:32 pm This looks incredibly like the BBC are saying a senior member of staff at RBS was disclosing false PII about a client, time for another name change?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66288464
On 4 July, the BBC reported Mr Farage no longer met the financial requirements for Coutts, citing a source familiar with the matter.

Ex-UKIP leader Mr Farage later obtained a Coutts' report which indicated his political views were also considered.

BBC News CEO Deborah Turness has written to Mr Farage to say sorry.

BBC Business Editor Simon Jack also tweeted an apology, saying his story was "from a trusted and senior source".
So the main stream media lies about why he was debanked, then the left wing buffoons jump all over on it and lap up every word :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

As usual, Screwdriver was quite right in his appraisal of the situation, it is quite an important issue to tackle and not just Farage being a moaner.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Potter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:59 pm As usual, Screwdriver was quite right in his appraisal of the situation, it is quite an important issue to tackle and not just Farage being a moaner.
The buffoons who follow him around the forum and bait him because they're scared of critical thinking (the same two people usually) are the sort who'll just lap up any old tripe the MSM blurts out.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:59 pm As usual, Screwdriver was quite right in his appraisal of the situation, it is quite an important issue to tackle and not just Farage being a moaner.
See, the thing is...after all is said and done, they haven't actually "rebanked" him (would he want them to?) so all the apologies smack of PR rather than contrition. Most corporate apologies could be described that way to be fair.

If you look at the document leaked to/by the Daily Mail is seems like Coutts were primarily concerned with looking bad (ha! Irony much now) rather than trying to punish Farage for anything (highlights here are by the DM).

I dunno, I'm sure that's an even more depressing commentary on 21st century life. Looking bad is worse than actually being bad. Was he de-banked for his views, or how his views would make Coutts look?

Final thought! As I've mentioned a few times now, it seems moves have been afoot to crack down on this sort of thing for a while.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Coutts are going to be taken apart soon all being well. I hope the BBC get a decent fine too. its up to a maximum of 17.5% of turnover.

Giving out private information like that could be a £17.5M fine because of GDPR rules. "The UK GDPR and DPA 2018 set a maximum fine of £17.5 million or 4% of annual global turnover – whichever is greater – for infringements."

I heard someone say “so Farage might get a pay-out for the break of GDPR rules, and that’s an EU law – how ironic”

To which someone replied with “maybe you aren’t too clear on the Data Protection Act of 1998 that we had beforehand, and the EU copy and pasted that into their law?” …. lovely put down…
There will be a number of customers of Coutts looking for a new private banking service right now.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've just clocked the title too :D

"Reputational Risk Committee"

The committee sits in judgement of all customers, presumably. I suppose for a bank like Coutts, which probably deals with some right dodgy fuckers, it comes with the territory.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:34 pm
Final thought! As I've mentioned a few times now, it seems moves have been afoot to crack down on this sort of thing for a while.
It's a good job this sort of thing was bought into the light, not least because it shows that there are brainwashed people who will swallow anything and allow persecution as long as it suits their political bias - rather amusingly on here it's the ones who claim to be libertarians who crowed the most about Farage being persecuted by a banking authority :lol: