What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yambo »

Skub wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:55 pm Mrs.Skub had a lucky escape today when her car reached the end of it's viable existence. She'd been tooshing along at 60/70mph earlier,but only noticed when she came back to the car in the carpark.

Ooops!

Gaffer tape, just a couple of rolls.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

First decent run on the R without the Mrs on the back.

160 miles via Moffat and St Mary’s Loch.

I was sitting outside the cafe when a guy on a new S 1000 RR pulled away from the bike park, did a bit of a U turn and stalled it right in the middle of the road, just catching it before it hit the ground. A couple of guys rushed over to help him get it up.

Imagine the cost of just replacing one of those winglets.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 pm Ooops!

Gaffer tape, just a couple of rolls.
£150 from a breaker and I'd just put 4 new tyres on it! I still feel like we dodged a bullet by Mrs.Skub not having one and safely breaking down in a carpark. Nobody died and we still got paid. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

Made a widget to repair a trolley jack, listed some more stuff for sale, and made a couple of spacers and shortened some bolts on the lathe.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Skub wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:55 pm Mrs.Skub had a lucky escape today when her car reached the end of it's viable existence. She'd been tooshing along at 60/70mph earlier,but only noticed when she came back to the car in the carpark.

What happened to it? Being a Toyota, I thought the wheels wouldn't just fall off.
Skub

Post by Skub »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:28 pm What happened to it? Being a Toyota, I thought the wheels wouldn't just fall off.
Rear arm rusted through. 15 years of salty schitt coming home to roost. It was a tidy looking little SR,but underneath showed the true picture.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Same thing happened to our son's Mk4 Golf - beam axle went. £140 for a new one, and a total bill of about £500 to replace it, with new bearings, bushes etc. That was at 260K miles, it's now at 310K. Yes, it was debatable, but the car is otherwise v good, and what can you get for £500?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:35 pm He changed his car when he was back in the uk - I got to drive what I call a Monster Truck!! :lol: :lol: A Ford Ranger Wildtrak thing. It's frikkin MASSIVE!!! I'm not fussed about big vehicles, but someone else's new big vehicle on mini mountain roads was interesting. But fun!! LOL And DAMN it's high up!! I really struggled to get in and out! :lol: :lol:
That's a mid-size/compact over here. Ok for moving an appliance or a couple of haybales etc, but not for moving anything much bigger. Had a look at an all black Tremor version last week, looks nice but no use to anyone who needs a truck for work.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Skub wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:12 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:28 pm What happened to it? Being a Toyota, I thought the wheels wouldn't just fall off.
Rear arm rusted through. 15 years of salty schitt coming home to roost. It was a tidy looking little SR,but underneath showed the true picture.
Interesting. Japanese cars do seem to rust still. My two NIssans were terrible for it.

I'm glad it was noticed before anything bad happened.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:13 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:35 pm He changed his car when he was back in the uk - I got to drive what I call a Monster Truck!! :lol: :lol: A Ford Ranger Wildtrak thing. It's frikkin MASSIVE!!! I'm not fussed about big vehicles, but someone else's new big vehicle on mini mountain roads was interesting. But fun!! LOL And DAMN it's high up!! I really struggled to get in and out! :lol: :lol:
That's a mid-size/compact over here. Ok for moving an appliance or a couple of haybales etc, but not for moving anything much bigger. Had a look at an all black Tremor version last week, looks nice but no use to anyone who needs a truck for work.
Anything bigger would be a bit silly as a daily (not work) car here. He lives at 1650m so has 14 hairpins to get down to the valley. And 7 hairpins n 350m altitude to get up to the main resort!! 🤣🤣🤣

I drove something à similar size (slightly shorter) for work every weekend, but wouldn’t be keen on a daily drive that size!! 🤣🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:28 pm

Interesting. Japanese cars do seem to rust still. My two NIssans were terrible for it.

I'm glad it was noticed before anything bad happened.
Toyota replaced thousands of Tacoma chassis over here, they were folding in half from rust.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Replaced the 30yo plastic closet rail brackets that failed with spiffy new steel ones.
Fired up the little compressor (6gal Metabo pancake), put ends on my nail air hose, reinstalled some baseboard.
Ate an icecream.
Now sat in front of a fan to cool off & read the latest installment of Jack Varians V6 Ranch blog.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Skub wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:12 pm
:o

I’d better have a look under our Yaris, I’ve notice a squeek coming from the rear on right handers.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:13 pm
Ohhh just spent loads of imaginary money building a Raptor.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gregor wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19 pm I’d better have a look under our Yaris, I’ve notice a squeek coming from the rear on right handers.
They sell those clown cars here, so that means loads of rust free used parts.

Former B-i-L's clown car, I think it's a Yaris?:

Felix

Post by Felix »

Took some wheels round to a mate to jet wash the brake dust off and the flaky rust. Got one done and the silly fucker got the high pressure cable wrapped round the exhaust. Fuck that water hurts :lol: anyway. Scrubbed seven wheels, washed with paraffin and spray painted with some cheap satin stone chip paint. Been picking some black shit out my nose ever since. So glad i dont eat my own snot
David

Post by David »

Felix wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:03 am Took some wheels round to a mate to jet wash the brake dust off and the flaky rust. Got one done and the silly fucker got the high pressure cable wrapped round the exhaust. Fuck that water hurts :lol: anyway. Scrubbed seven wheels, washed with paraffin and spray painted with some cheap satin stone chip paint. Been picking some black shit out my nose ever since. So glad i dont eat my own snot

Whose do you eat?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:27 am
Gregor wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19 pm I’d better have a look under our Yaris, I’ve notice a squeek coming from the rear on right handers.

Aygo. For people with adequately sized testicles :thumbup:

I like those "alloys" but I prefer the Aston version anyway :D

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/as ... 011/937627
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:35 am
ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:27 am

Aygo. For people with adequately sized testicles :thumbup:

I like those "alloys" but I prefer the Aston version anyway :D

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/as ... 011/937627
It's a Toyota IQ