Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
gremlin

Re: Debanking

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:44 am

Banks used to be banks, staid, respectable, old fashioned and ultra cautious.
But let's not forget that Mr. Mainwaring never offered unauthorised overdrafts, nor did he offer internet banking, off-set mortgages, apps, instant currency exchange, etc., etc.

Banks only offer the service that people demand.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 am
Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:01 am

Converting the building societies into banks was one of the biggest errors (IMO)
And yet, who converted the Building Societies to banks?

The members.
As I said, lots of people ie members just rubbed their hands and took the money. (No doubt many of them are now the ones complaining about branch closures and the state of banking etc etc).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I took the money, but at least I voted against converting.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Potter wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:00 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:55 am
weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:51 am

LOL No you're not.
My PM still don't work. You have removed my subscription, you are closing my threads...
Seriously?
Yep. among other stuff we discussed by PM I cannot share in public. I am finding this whole saga extremely distressing.
Last edited by Screwdriver on Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Post by Ant »

From debanking, to deforumed!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:50 am
Still, at least Yorick will be happy if he's not too busy wanking over the lovely ladies.
I've got a beautiful lady to do it for me :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:35 am Yep. among other stuff we discussed by PM I cannot share in public.
Crack on fella.... If it makes you happier i'll share my last PM to you or any other PM to you on here... I've got nothing to hide.

Feel free to post anything i've ever written in PM to you, you have my full permission.

In fact, here you go
What do i want...

Simple terms, i want you to enjoy posting here.. If you're not, then leave. It's pretty much that simple.

If you have a problem with someone, tell them... Speak to them, PM them.... However, as i've said before, it's not a school playground and i'm not the headmaster. What you see as bullying, i don't see as bullying. I read your report and ignored it, quite simply, i didn't see the issues you saw in his post. You may not like that, but i don't have to agree with reported posts or the reports... I read, i decide and i move on.

Clearly you're not enjoying your posting time here and clearly there's a number of people who don't enjoy your topics... but it's down to you to decide what to do from there.

I will continue to moderate as i see fit. I won't ban you for the threads i find daft, but don't expect me to respect them either... they'll be treated with a certain level of derision from me.

What i will say again is, i'm just a bloke who built a forum. Being the site owner and Admin doesn't mean i change into some understanding psychologist, i don't have the levels of empathy or sympathy for that. I'm not a kind caring considerate bloke. I've got way too much going on in my life to pander to you or anyone else on here. This is a side-line and if it gets more than that, i'll close the place down. It won't be dragging me down.

So where does that leave you.. Well, wherever you want it to leave you is the simple answer. This place can be whatever you want from it. But you do need to move on from your 'bullying' thing...

Enjoy.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:36 am
Still, at least Yorick will be happy if he's not too busy wanking over the lovely ladies.
I pity her.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:38 am
Yorick wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:36 am
I pity her.
Move on fella :D
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

If the internet is distressing, sounds like you need to turn it off for a while and detox. Get yourself a dog and get outdoors, they're equally frustrating at times but at least your not shouting into the wind (unless he's ran off again, which mine does).
Ant

Post by Ant »

Get out of London and move into the countryside, that'll make a massive difference too.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:27 am I took the money, but at least I voted against converting.
Same here. I'd had an account with mine since the year dot. Now I don't...I moved to two that stayed mutual-ish. Funnily enough, the main one is now the only money place on my local High Street (Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, HSBC, Halifax etc all went - and took their ATMs with them). The PO has done well out of it too.

I see Virgin is going to close 1/3 of theirs now too. Meanwhile, in Guildford opposite where Barclays used to be is a shiny new 'challenger' bank branch (Metrobank). Wonder what their business model is and why cf Monzo etc they think it's a good idea. :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Potter wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:18 am...

"Home ownership among young people has almost halved since the 1980s, according to one recent study, as property prices have massively outpaced wage growth." - https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mor ... eveal.html

We stopped youngsters leaving school at 16, encouraged half of them to go to university and defer their earning years to their early or mid 20s, then we complain that they can't afford to buy a house. It may be a GOOD THING™ to have thousands of media studies graduates, but stopping young people from earning then complaining that they haven't got enough money is perverse.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:37 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:35 am Yep. among other stuff we discussed by PM I cannot share in public.
Crack on fella.... If it makes you happier i'll share my last PM to you or any other PM to you on here... I've got nothing to hide.

Feel free to post anything i've ever written in PM to you, you have my full permission.
You have deleted all my PM's.

I guess you don't realise that but arbitrarily removing me from full subscription means all my send mail is deleted.

Like I said in my last PM, much simpler if you reinstate the subscription level I paid you for. It wasn't a loan. B it is of course probably too late. By messing around with my status, one of the little deaths is the loss of my ability to send a PM.

You told me to report any instances of harassment if they start to get out of hand. I report them and you ignore them. You just let a prick like Yorick get away with whatever he wants and ultimately, when I object, you kill my threads.

There are also my friends on here. You don't own them, you don't own me. Naturally, you can control whatever is posted here. An interesting microcosm for the current problems social media is experiencing globally> I don't like what you say, I don't like the way you say it, therefore I am going to shut you up.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:44 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:27 am I took the money, but at least I voted against converting.
Same here. I'd had an account with mine since the year dot. Now I don't...I moved to two that stayed mutual-ish. Funnily enough, the main one is now the only money place on my local High Street (Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, HSBC, Halifax etc all went - and took their ATMs with them). The PO has done well out of it too.

I see Virgin is going to close 1/3 of theirs now too. Meanwhile, in Guildford opposite where Barclays used to be is a shiny new 'challenger' bank branch (Metrobank). Wonder what their business model is and why cf Monzo etc they think it's a good idea. :hmmm:
I was very glad that Nationwide never converted from Mutual status, and coincidentally they seem to have retained their branches while all the Banks were closing theirs.

And Metro Bank seem to be more of a hybrid than a 'challenger' bank, and are slowly extending their Branch network (they opened one in Sheffield a year or so ago). They are right next door to Virgin's branch, curiously enough, which has apparently survived the recently announced cull.

I have accounts at all three... :)
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:35 am
Yep. among other stuff we discussed by PM I cannot share in public. I am finding this whole saga extremely distressing.
It's a bit of a catch-22 and for sure I think you've been bullied on here - BUT you do continue to invite it and if you want my honest opinion I think you're a bit too involved in conjecture and conspiracy. I agree with most of the themes you post on, but you do go a bit too far and it's obviously going to make you a target for the people who can't even follow the theme.

I'm saying this out of genuine respect, but I think you spend too much time virtually and not enough time physically with sensible people who will put some context around the rabbit holes you're going down and push back kindly to help you keep it from going too far. I've got a mate that has gone too far with it, he lives on his own, takes drugs occasionally and he's literally sent himself psychotic on Youtube with conspiracy stuff, we've all washed our hands of him now because he's lost and we can't even have a sensible conversation with him anymore.

On here you're going to get 5% of people that see where you're going with it and try to engage you in discussion after sorting the wheat from the chaff, and 95% who will throw the baby out with the bath water and dismiss you as a nutter.

FWIW I don't think Weeksy has it in for you, I think he's a decent bloke, he's just not very sympathetic to where you're at in your head.
If you feel like it's all a bit too much then take the target off your back and chill for a bit.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Timmy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:41 am If the internet is distressing, sounds like you need to turn it off for a while and detox. Get yourself a dog and get outdoors, they're equally frustrating at times but at least your not shouting into the wind (unless he's ran off again, which mine does).
Actually I am in a bit of a mood since my last relapse looks like it will cost me the use of my left arm. MS is gradually chipping away at me. It does make me somewhat fractious. I might end up losing half of my entire complement of arms.

Thankfully, years after the initial diagnosis, I am told I will be given some treatment which "might" (60% probability) stop things getting worse. So I largely keep away from people, live online, use this forum as an outlet and potter about in the shed.

I mentioned this to @Weeksy who completely misunderstood why I was telling him that hence his comment about not being a psychiatrist. That was not my point, I am not looking for help or asking for pity. The point is, social media is my only lifeline so give me boundaries or rules to play by and I will follow them. He keeps shifting the goalposts.

Now a rant which I will try to drag back on topic:

I do not trust myself in public, especially in this day and age of trans bollocks and race baiting. I am still the sort of person who will not shy away from conflict. If someone throws their rubbish on the street in front of me, they will be invited to pick it up. If there is an altercation, I will step in to break it up. But this is London and half the people here immediately play the race card and that is a dangerous scenario if you happen to be white. I dare not shop at Wickes now either in case they insist I refer to a bloke in a dress as "she" (my default position is to ignore) but a situation may develop where I might be forced to acquiesce and I would not. That's not in my DNA.

In short, under my current circumstances, it is all to easy for me to get into trouble just for being a bit "different". For example, if a prick like Yorick spoke to me in real life the way Weeksy allows him to in this forum, he would never do it twice. I have a few people on ignore of course, those who delight in winding people up up but Yorick is different. He is deliberately targeting me specifically but on top of that, I know him. I know some of his past let's say "indiscretions". I don't take shit from a cunt like him.

Oh and there is a very strong possibility that such moral fortitude (if that's what it is), if exposed, would have you looking for a new bank account.

Such is life.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I dunno
- why blokes in Wickes dressed as ladies is something anyone cares about
- why suddenly there is a noticeable uptick of blokes dressed as ladies in Wickes anyway
- how you manage to get into a conversation in Wickes whereby use of a pronoun becomes necessary, or can't be avoided. If in doubt "Oi mate, where are the screws?" is about the level and depth of conversation necessary.

It seems like an unnecessary theoretical situation to worry about. And if you do get kicked out of Wickes for being a plank(!) there's always HomeBase and B&Q.

Sorry about the arms.
Last edited by DefTrap on Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

@Weeksy:

"You have 2 private messages currently on hold because of full folder.
Release all on-hold messages… they will be re-sorted into the appropriate folder if enough space is made available."

I am not in the right head space to be organising the remaining messages in my inbox. All of the sent mail has been deleted and I do not want to lose what little remains. I have been selling the odd 3d print to forum members among other things. Most of that dialogue is lost. I wish you had told me you were going to do this.

Goodness only knows how much hassle it would generate for anyone who has their bank accounts deleted like this. Ironic really that this parody of cancel culture is being played out here.

For anyone else interested, since I am quite likely to "disappear" you may contact me via Screwdriverxx <with an "at symbol> and gmail (commercial) at the end.

...and no I am not being conspiratorial this time, I might literally just leave. I can't deal with this sort of one sided, illogical harassment. Unilaterally deleting my subscription without warning is despicable. I don't know if there is any way back from that.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I won't go to Wickes either since that rant from their senior manager. To be honest, that was on top of asking one of their members of staff some questions about a product. This member of staff was clueless, wasn't bothered at all, so basically had no interest in customers or their money - add to this that said staff had multicoloured rainbow hair, so we know what his/they priority was and it's not building materials and helping customers.