Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: Debanking

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:14 am
It gets worse. I have a Nat West account that I've had since I was a student but I moved most of the important stuff over to another account. I just transfer £100/month in to meet the few remaining SO/DDs. Went to check the balance of the account at an ATM only to find my bank card was out of date (as was the credit card). They didn't tell me, just never supplied new ones.

I'm outraged! GB News here I come. :lol:
Baclays do that too. We have a joint account, and Mrs CJ has a bank card. She rarely uses it, I do all the banking but she has equal authority and she can use it if she needs to. I was due to disappear on a bike trip, so reminded her she ought to check she hadn't mislaid it and go on-line and pay a bill or two, just to make sure she could do so when I was away.

It was out of date, and they hadn't sent a new one because she hadn't used it for a while.

Cue much gnashing of teeth and a complaint.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Just listening to an interview on Kevin O'Sullavan about a woman who was debanked by Natwest, they froze her accounts, wouldn't tell her why and wouldn't give her £12k back....so they wouldn't provide a service but wanted to keep her money.

Something about an organisation the banks use to collect information about people, found that she lived in Monaco and told the bank that - but she's never even been to Monaco.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I was a bit ho hum about NatWest not sending us our new cards. Money goes in, money goes out - it doesn't really need one.

Then I realised last night, there are occasions when you want to access the account and, guess what? Sometimes you need to put the card into the card reader to generate a code in order to do something.

Ah.

Next step, transfer it and the DDs to Nationwide and close the account. (Which I guess is what NatWest want too).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:51 pm Just listening to an interview on Kevin O'Sullavan about a woman who was debanked by Natwest, they froze her accounts, wouldn't tell her why and wouldn't give her £12k back....so they wouldn't provide a service but wanted to keep her money.

Something about an organisation the banks use to collect information about people, found that she lived in Monaco and told the bank that - but she's never even been to Monaco.
Hot topic innit? And I imagine it sucks. But not politically motivated, not in any instance so far.

And still nobody is interested in why my Insurer refused to reinsure me - despite neither my circumstances not changing nor because I made a nuisance of myself on 3000 episodes of QuestionTime, just because they felt like it.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Well there's new rules which have just been passed to stop banks from shutting down those who don't follow the authoritarian far left narrative.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

The bank has brought out another statement which sbows that Farrage just didn't have enough money or borrowing with them.
He's whining like a milkfloat that he was offered a normal Natwest account and his band of merry racist followers are bleating about it still, it's like watching children fight over a fucking sandpit.

Looking on the bright side, at least he's taken time off from shouting at the sea and blaming immigrants for his own issues.

If he's serious about this then take the bank to court, put his money where his mouth is. Doubt that will happen though.

irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:10 pm The bank has brought out another statement which sbows that Farrage just didn't have enough money or borrowing with them.
He's whining like a milkfloat that he was offered a normal Natwest account and his band of merry racist followers are bleating about it still, it's like watching children fight over a fucking sandpit.

Looking on the bright side, at least he's taken time off from shouting at the sea and blaming immigrants for his own issues.

If he's serious about this then take the bank to court, put his money where his mouth is. Doubt that will happen though.

As ever you're talking out of your arse. The CEO (Alison Rose) of Natwest, owners of Coutts Bank, has issued a grovelling apology to Farage.
Alison Rose wrote: Dear Mr Farage,

I am writing to apologise for the deeply inappropriate comments about yourself made in the now published papers prepared for the Wealth Committee. I would like to make it clear that they do not reflect the view of the bank.

I believe very strongly that freedom of expression and access to banking are fundamental to our society and it is absolutely not our policy to exit a customer on the basis of legally held political and personal views. To this end, I would also like to personally reiterate our offer to you of alternative banking arrangements at NatWest.

I fully understand yours and the public’s concern that the processes for bank account closure are not sufficiently transparent. Customers have a right to expect their bank to make consistent decisions against publicly available criteria and those decisions should be communicated clearly and openly with them, within the constraints imposed by the law.

To achieve this, sector wide change is required, but your experience, highlighted in recent days, has shown we also need to put our own processes under scrutiny too. As a result I am commissioning a full review of the Coutts processes for how these decisions are made and communicated, to ensure we provide better, clearer and more consistent experience for customers in the future.

The review will be reporting to me as NatWest Group CEO.

I welcome the FCA’s reviews of regulatory rules associated with Politically Exposed Persons, and we will implement the recommendations of our review alongside any changes that they or the Government makes to the overall regulatory framework.

Yours sincerely,

Alison Rose.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I saw that ^.

Doesn't actually say they're giving him his account back? Still "just" offering him NatWest.
cheb

Post by cheb »

If he's canny he'll use this as leverage to get a free upgrade to one of NW premium accounts, the free breakdown cover, travel insurance and more has got to be worth it.

Added: The toitier ones will get you into airport lounges for free. He'll be living the high before ho knows, hob nobbing with the great and the good.
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:35 pm I saw that ^.

Doesn't actually say they're giving him his account back? Still "just" offering him NatWest.
If I was in Farage's shoes I'd give a single finger salute to Peter Flavel and his fellow Coutts woke warriors, take up the offer of a Natwest account, and exploit it to the full.

It is not the business of the banks or of any other commercial organisation to sit in judgement of anyone's legal views or opinions. If they consider them to be unlawful then they should be reported to the police. Rocket science. Not.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Sure, but for all their apologies nothing has actually changed.

So it's a kind've "sorry for your feelings" cop out, not all that grovelling.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

And he was moved on from Coutts because he no longer complied with their published required wealth levels. Nothing at all to do with his views or opinions. How many times does this need to be repeated?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:03 pm And he was moved on from Coutts because he no longer complied with their published required wealth levels. Nothing at all to do with his views or opinions. How many times does this need to be repeated?
Exactly what were and are now Coutts' required wealth levels, when and how did Farage qualify as satisfying those requirements, and when did Farage cease to satisfy those requirements?
Last edited by irie on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

To be fair, there have since been leaked internal reports discussing the "reputational risk" he posed to the bank.

Whether that's just their reputation for not dealing with poor people, I dunno. Probably not!

I do have to give Herr Farage some credit here, I was not aware of the movements behind the scenes to regulate this area of banking more strongly. As I said several pages back I'm sure he'll take the credit for making this happen (and here I am giving him some :lol: ) but as far as I can tell its been afoot for a while.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:03 pm And he was moved on from Coutts because he no longer complied with their published required wealth levels. Nothing at all to do with his views or opinions. How many times does this need to be repeated?
This thread sure has outed The Mail and Express readers so it's all good.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:13 pm
Exactly what were and are now Coutts' required wealth levels, when and how did Farage qualify as satisfying those requirements, and when did Farage cease to satisfy those requirements?
Do your own bloody research.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Coutts has since admitted it was due to political views....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Apart from the bank documents where they listed his views and opinions as a reason to ditch him.
irie

Post by irie »

Ant wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:25 pm Coutts has since admitted it was due to political views....
Mussels wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:42 pm
Apart from the bank documents where they listed his views and opinions as a reason to ditch him.
As above.

I happen to think that Farage is a dodgy dick and judging by @mangocrazy 's spouting, so is he, but (imo) that's not a qualification to be "debanked".
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DIGAS about Farage or Coutts?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!