The hi-viz SMIDSY thread

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

Re: The hi-viz SMIDSY thread

Post by Hot_Air »

The headlight doesn’t stand out at all. (Why doesn’t the rider know to use yellow lighting at the front :) ?)

The rider in the background is wearing the setup I originally saw RoSPA sell to instructors: a black tabard with hi-viz yellow stripes (plus a fashionable RoSPA logo). Judging by the photo, IAM Roadsmart appears to be following this trend for ‘dazzle camouflage’. It does a magnificent job of breaking up a rider’s shape :roll:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:52 pm The headlight doesn’t stand out at all. (Why doesn’t the rider know to use yellow lighting at the front :) ?)

The rider in the background is wearing the setup I originally saw RoSPA sell to instructors: a black tabard with hi-viz yellow stripes (plus a fashionable RoSPA logo). Judging by the photo, IAM Roadsmart appears to be following this trend for ‘dazzle camouflage’. It does a magnificent job of breaking up a rider’s shape :roll:
Dip beam therefore below the level of the camera...

And aux lights add nothing either against a backlit environment:

https://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/upl ... e-road.jpg
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:01 pmAs well as screens and top boxes (and rucksacks) obscuring fore and aft, sleeveless tabards and those H belts are also pretty useless from a 3/4 forward perspective - just where a driver might be sitting before he 'looks but fails to see' - thanks to the angle of the rider's arms.
Has anyone told the DVSA :roll: ? As a government agency, shouldn't it be giving evidence-based advice?

The Spin Doctor

Another update...

I've lost count of how many 'new' editions I have on the shelf - at least half a dozen. I stopped buying them when I realised the biggest change with the picture on the cover.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm Another update...

I've lost count of how many 'new' editions I have on the shelf - at least half a dozen. I stopped buying them when I realised the biggest change with the picture on the cover.
Wrong thread? Or do you mean [plug] your SOBS book? :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm Another update...

Wrong thread? Or do you mean [plug] your SOBS book? :)
Ha. No I meant 'Essential Skills'. Every year when I was a DAS trainer there seemed to be a new version so muggins bought it, to see what was different. Usually it was the cover, and the edition / date of publication.

SOBS here https://www.lulu.com/en/gb/shop/kevin-w ... mmen4.html has only been through two versions - I pulled the first quite quickly as it was too wordy so it's really only one edition ;) :) Till midnight 16 October, there's even 10% off ;) | Use Code: LULUFAM10 at the checkout ;)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@The Spin Doctor I’ve a question about the Science of Being Seen: is this your Aerostich? :mrgreen:

Please take extra care in roadworks - camouflaged against those pesky traffic cones - drivers won’t have a chance of seeing you in this getup.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm
Please take extra care in roadworks - camouflaged against those pesky traffic cones - drivers won’t have a chance of seeing you in this getup.
Someone's already looked (sic) at that.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/asse ... u9z2n9uf_I
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm @The Spin Doctor I’ve a question about the Science of Being Seen: is this your Aerostich? :mrgreen:

:sick: :ugeek:

Nope. Mine's a rather nice grey / green colour - bit like WW2 German army :)