In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66223747 - The mother of an airman who died after climbing into a commercial bin has spoken of her anger that more was not being done to stop similar tragedies.

A bloke from the RAF Regiment climbs into a bin pissed up and gets crushed and dumped into landfill.
His mum blames the bin company for not putting locks on the bins.

Grief is a funny thing and as a parent I feel for the woman, but how far does society need to go to protect people from themselves?
irie

Post by irie »

westers151 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:45 am
Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 pm Has she been appointed? Stoltenberg is in the job for another year+ I thought. Rutte was favourite but looks like he's quitting for quiet obscurity. Seems pretty obvious to go for someone from the EU bloc tbh.
The EU members of NATO have been a shambles for a very long time so it makes sense to put her in there to finish the job.
Especially France and Germany of course.

Edited because of following post.
Last edited by irie on Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:32 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 pm Has she been appointed? Stoltenberg is in the job for another year+ I thought. Rutte was favourite but looks like he's quitting for quiet obscurity. Seems pretty obvious to go for someone from the EU bloc tbh.
Why? The whole of the EU only contribute 20% of the NATO budget, and several EU countries especially Germany do not contribute as much as they have signed up to do.
And this ^^^

Germany has consistently spent far less than its obligation to spend at least 2% of GDP on defence. And France was not a member of NATO from 1966 (when De Gaulle took France out of NATO) until 2009 when it rejoined. :roll:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:59 am
Why? The whole of the EU only contribute 20% of the NATO budget, and several EU countries especially Germany do not contribute as much as they have signed up to do.
And this ^^^

Germany has consistently spent far less than its obligation to spend at least 2% of GDP on defence. And France was not a member of NATO from 1966 (when De Gaulle took France out of NATO) until 2009 when it rejoined. :roll:
I could be wrong but I thought the 2% target was to be reached by 2025.

Anyway, as everyone is so interested in the functioning of NATO rather than taking cheap shots at EU members :D , here's an interesting analysis of some points/issues:

https://globalriskinsights.com/2021/03/ ... -security/
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:16 am
irie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:59 am

And this ^^^

I could be wrong but I thought the 2% target was to be reached by 2025.

Anyway, as everyone is so interested in the functioning of NATO rather than taking cheap shots at EU members :D , here's an interesting analysis of some points/issues:

https://globalriskinsights.com/2021/03/ ... -security/
For Germany it's always tomorrow :lol:
NATO wrote:The 2014 “Defence Investment Pledge” (DIP) – made by Allies at the 2014 Wales Summit, the first NATO summit held after the illegal annexation of Crimea – established an important baseline by setting the goal of at least 2% of GDP spent on defence by all Allies as a political commitment agreed at the level of Heads of State and Government.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230718_075853_Google~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230718_075853_Google~2.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:48 am
NATO wrote:The 2014 “Defence Investment Pledge” (DIP) – made by Allies at the 2014 Wales Summit, the first NATO summit held after the illegal annexation of Crimea – established an important baseline by setting the goal of at least 2% of GDP spent on defence by all Allies as a political commitment agreed at the level of Heads of State and Government.
From the same source:

'As the Alliance approaches 2024, the tenth anniversary of the Defence Investment Pledge, all eyes will be focused on this initial deadline for reaching the 2% target. The 2023 Vilnius Summit and the 2024 Washington Summit will therefore be opportunities for NATO Leaders to review achievements and agree future commitments. These could include:....'

Might as well link the whole thing if people want the full picture.

https://www.nato.int/docu/review/articl ... index.html
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mmmm, for quite a long time after 1945 the rest of Europe and the US didn't want Germany spending a lot of money on their military. :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

Potter wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66223747 - The mother of an airman who died after climbing into a commercial bin has spoken of her anger that more was not being done to stop similar tragedies.

A bloke from the RAF Regiment climbs into a bin pissed up and gets crushed and dumped into landfill.

Grief is a funny thing and as a parent I feel for the woman, but how far does society need to go to protect people from themselves?
Seems to me to be the modern way, millions of people are mildly inconvenienced in trivial ways frequently because of one person's stupidity.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:40 am Mmmm, for quite a long time after 1945 the rest of Europe and the US didn't want Germany spending a lot of money on their military. :D
+ they have had '000s of Allied troops 'in-house', including the BAOR etc. Germany is a bit of a special case really but they do need to open the € taps on defence spending.

FWIW I don't think UvdL is a good choice, but we only have the scuttlebutt from the Telegraph to suggest she's in the frame. It IS interesting to speculate why Biden might favour her but primarily in the context of the USA/NATO/CSDP balance of power in Europe (and beyond). eg the USA might prefer all the NATO muscle to be on call should they wish to, for example, occupy Afghanistan. They can't do that with the CSDP. I wonder where UvdL stands on the CSDP? I'd have to dig a bit on that one. I'll have a guess that she/Germany are keener on NATO and France, for example, is a bit more leaning towards the CSDP.
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:17 am
+ they have had '000s of Allied troops 'in-house', including the BAOR etc.

Yes, I was one of them for about 15 years plus two years in Berlin (not part of BAOR).

It was interesting to see the changes over the period from 1969 - 1990, the increasing influence of the Green Party, the calls for training areas to be given back, the attitude of some of the German population etc.

One of the arguments about training areas was to improve things for wildlife when in reality the training areas had abundant wildlife which was probably safer and better protected than in other areas. :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:08 am
Potter wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66223747 - The mother of an airman who died after climbing into a commercial bin has spoken of her anger that more was not being done to stop similar tragedies.

Seems to me to be the modern way, millions of people are mildly inconvenienced in trivial ways frequently because of one person's stupidity.
My F-I-L spent many years in the 'environmental waste industry', i.e. he was in charge of the binmen who collected rubbish in Bromley. Much as he welcomed sensible advances in working practices, one thing he laughed at was the procedure he was meant to implement, whereby the bulk bins to be collected had to be banged on the side with an accompanying cry of 'Is anybody in here?! This bin is about to be emptied!!' or some such bollocks.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:17 am
Yambo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:40 am Mmmm, for quite a long time after 1945 the rest of Europe and the US didn't want Germany spending a lot of money on their military. :D
+ they have had '000s of Allied troops 'in-house', including the BAOR etc. Germany is a bit of a special case really but they do need to open the € taps on defence spending.

FWIW I don't think UvdL is a good choice, but we only have the scuttlebutt from the Telegraph to suggest she's in the frame. It IS interesting to speculate why Biden might favour her but primarily in the context of the USA/NATO/CSDP balance of power in Europe (and beyond). eg the USA might prefer all the NATO muscle to be on call should they wish to, for example, occupy Afghanistan. They can't do that with the CSDP. I wonder where UvdL stands on the CSDP? I'd have to dig a bit on that one. I'll have a guess that she/Germany are keener on NATO and France, for example, is a bit more leaning towards the CSDP.
Perhaps even he realises that UvdL is pretty incompetent at most things she has done ( and was not of the EU leader list until Merkel shoe horned her in). That alone will put the balance of control back into the USAs hands.
Or maybe Biden just identifies with others of his same calibre ?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:32 am Perhaps even he realises that UvdL is pretty incompetent at most things she has done ( and was not of the EU leader list until Merkel shoe horned her in). That alone will put the balance of control back into the USAs hands.
I suppose I should have said 'the USA' rather than Biden - I always assume he goes with what his advisers tell him. (They must brick themselves every time he goes off message).

I can see why the USA would want a weak Sec Gen. I'm sure they'd like as much control over as big a European force as they can get. As a Merkin once said 'The first World War was fought in Europe, the second World War was fought in Europe and the third World War damn well will be'. (China permitting).

They'd be better with a powerful proxy one that was onside with their aims though.
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

WW 3 will unfortunately be fought between the USA and China. Not sure how Europe will feature - other than the starting ground. But that is way more likely to be the South China Sea or Taiwan :-(
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:03 pm WW 3 will unfortunately be fought between the USA and China. Not sure how Europe will feature - other than the starting ground. But that is way more likely to be the South China Sea or Taiwan :-(
You’re supposed to tell us to mark your words.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:22 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:32 am Perhaps even he realises that UvdL is pretty incompetent at most things she has done ( and was not of the EU leader list until Merkel shoe horned her in). That alone will put the balance of control back into the USAs hands.
I suppose I should have said 'the USA' rather than Biden - I always assume he goes with what his advisers tell him. (They must brick themselves every time he goes off message).

I can see why the USA would want a weak Sec Gen. I'm sure they'd like as much control over as big a European force as they can get. As a Merkin once said 'The first World War was fought in Europe, the second World War was fought in Europe and the third World War damn well will be'. (China permitting).

They'd be better with a powerful proxy one that was onside with their aims though.
I'm not sure how having a British sec general would be better mind, we've been the US's bitch for so long I think its ingrained.
irie

Post by irie »

BBC has duty to protect ‘young man’ in Huw Edwards scandal, says acting chairman
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've just read that because Starmer's latest flip flopping u turn on the two child benefit cap, some of his own MP's are now calling him "Sir Kid Starver".
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Is he in line for a Darwin Award? Seems to me the human race dodged a bullet if he hadn't bred yet.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:48 am
For Germany it's always tomorrow :lol:
Tomorrow belongs to me.