Current affairs, Politics, News.
gremlin

Re: In todays news...

Post by gremlin »

Chandrayaan-3: India's historic Moon mission lifts off successfully

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-66185565

Well done India!

Can we stop sending you foreign aid now? :roll:

Wikipedia: According to India's budget in 2021-22, its direct overseas aid stood at ₹18,154 crore (US$2.4 billion).
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Woo hoo :obscene-birdiedoublered:

We've cycled it and it's super cool :)

https://gazettelife.com/news/lanzarote- ... the-world/
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie

Post by irie »

Ben Wallace is resigning. Should be next Sec General of NATO but Biden didn't like the fact that the UK trained Ukrainian pilots in simulators on how to fly F-22's before the US. So the demented Biden says Ursula vd Leyen should be the next NATO leader. It's a HUGE strategic mistake relying on vd Leyen and Germany.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... hine-guns/
2015 wrote: Germany’s army is so under-equipped that it used broomsticks instead of machine guns
One guess who was German defence minister at the time of this debacle ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Seems like the Northern Research Group has been trying their hand at a bit of corruption.
Our local MP is the chairman so I wouldnt be at all surprised if John Stevenson wasn't upto his neck in it.
https://news.sky.com/story/westminster ... n-12919851
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:51 pm One guess who was German defence minister at the time of this debacle ...
Crazy Cavan.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:51 pm Ben Wallace is resigning. Should be next Sec General of NATO but Biden didn't like the fact that the UK trained Ukrainian pilots in simulators on how to fly F-22's before the US. So the demented Biden says Ursula vd Leyen should be the next NATO leader. It's a HUGE strategic mistake relying on vd Leyen and Germany.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... hine-guns/
2015 wrote: Germany’s army is so under-equipped that it used broomsticks instead of machine guns
One guess who was German defence minister at the time of this debacle ...

I can only think that Ursula simply opens her legs as soon as a 'suitable' position comes along for her one and only talent.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Yambo wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:51 pmSo the demented Biden says Ursula vd Leyen should be the next NATO leader.
Blimey...and they thought Trump was bad for NATO! :o
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Has she been appointed? Stoltenberg is in the job for another year+ I thought. Rutte was favourite but looks like he's quitting for quiet obscurity. Seems pretty obvious to go for someone from the EU bloc tbh.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 pm Has she been appointed?
irie wrote: Biden says Ursula vd Leyen should be the next NATO leader
hth
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:19 pm
hth
Even if Biden did say it, he's not the only one with a vote. The Sec Gen is always a European - and the EU has iirc 21 Nato members out of the 31 in it. UvdL isn't a shoo in by any means. Problem seems to be finding someone (suitable) that a) wants to do it and b) is acceptable to everyone with a veto, as it's done by concensus.
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:33 pm
hth
blah-blah-blah
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:14 am

hth
blah-blah-blah
:lol: I didn't miss your point....I ignored it. (Again).
Voltaire
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 pm Has she been appointed? Stoltenberg is in the job for another year+ I thought. Rutte was favourite but looks like he's quitting for quiet obscurity. Seems pretty obvious to go for someone from the EU bloc tbh.
Every article I've read regarding the claims that Biden blocked Wallace refers back to a Telegraph piece and an unamed source. Same for the Ursula von der Leyen claim. 5 days earlier, the Telegraph claimed it was Macron blocking Wallace, again from an unamed source. Other media outlets blame France and Germany, while others blame a group of unamed EU countries.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:49 am
Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 pm Has she been appointed? Stoltenberg is in the job for another year+ I thought. Rutte was favourite but looks like he's quitting for quiet obscurity. Seems pretty obvious to go for someone from the EU bloc tbh.
Every article I've read regarding the claims that Biden blocked Wallace refers back to a Telegraph piece and an unamed source. Same for the Ursula von der Leyen claim. 5 days earlier, the Telegraph claimed it was Macron blocking Wallace, again from an unamed source. Other media outlets blame France and Germany, while others blame a group of unamed EU countries.
Exactly. TBH Wallace was never really in with a chance. The USA will want someone with influence in the 21 (or is it 22 now?), who will want someone that represents them. A UK bod would be seen as an American proxy. The problem comes with finding someone the Europeans can agree on, which won't be easy and will probably mean they'll end up with a very neutral, diplomatic sort of choice (a Stoltenberg-alike).
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:50 am
irie wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:14 am
blah-blah-blah
:lol: I didn't miss your point....I ignored it. (Again).
Ah well that's alright then :lol:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Reads like The Telegraph just throws lots of stones at the same time in the hope that one hits its mark and they can say they were right.
irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:31 am
Reads like The Telegraph just throws lots of stones at the same time in the hope that one hits its mark and they can say they were right.
A triumph of politics over reality which the US, when Biden has gone, will in the future regret.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Why? The whole of the EU only contribute 20% of the NATO budget, and several EU countries especially Germany do not contribute as much as they have signed up to do.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20045192#

Cholesterol: Top foods to improve your numbers
Diet can play an important role in lowering your cholesterol. Here are some foods to improve your cholesterol and protect your heart.

Oatmeal, oat bran and high-fiber foods
ok, you probably knew that)
Fish and omega-3 fatty acids And that, and these:
Almonds and other nuts
Avocados
Olive oil
Foods with added plant sterols or stanols

But how about this one:
Whey protein
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: