In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yambo

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:30 pm Fancy £100k job?
No experience necessary.

Completely bonkers

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxf ... e-66162417

I think it's a job for the boys.

It'll suit retired fairly senior officer who is bored even with his lovely pension and doesn't want to stack shelves in Asda. They've probably already got a short list.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:55 pm It is also perfectly possible to manage people who do jobs that you couldn't do yourself.
Yeah I can see the thought process TBH...managing people do to something is a completely different skill set to doing said something.

I'm sure we've all seen it the other way around, people get promoted on their ability to do something but completely suck at managing others doing it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:01 pm
I'm sure we've all seen it the other way around, people get promoted on their ability to do something but completely suck at managing others doing it.
It even has a name, the Peter principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:55 pm It is also perfectly possible to manage people who do jobs that you couldn't do yourself.
Yeah I can see the thought process TBH...managing people do to something is a completely different skill set to doing said something.

Similar in my role too.

I have interviewed and also worked with people who have all the paper/technical skills they need to do the job but can't actually do the job as their people skills are almost non-existent!

We have a super tech guy at the new company i have joined and he is fucking useless. He is good at hiding at the back corner of the office doing his thing but cannot make eye contact, cannot go out to sites alone, cannot even have a teams meet with the camera on! He is also very anti-social and tbh is a bit of a c.unt. He is meant to be there as a top level support guy but you ask him something and most of the time he either wont even respond to you or he will just say he is too busy.

Still, i suppose having poor people skills is better than having no tech skills at all in a tech role like one guy i interviewed who tried to take apart a CRT monitor that was plugged into the mains to change the RAM!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

An English woman who lives here (not all year) put a photo of the head of OFSTED on Social Media a few weeks back and asked "Does this woman look like someone who has any idea what goes on in the majority schools?"

She was a little miffed when I suggested that as a school teacher (and apparently the youngest female head teacher in the UK once upon a time) she should not base her opinions on whether or not a person could do a job based on the way that person looked.

Her being miffed may also have had something to do with my opinion that she would make a fuckin' lousy PE teacher. :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

When is a grope not a grope? When it doesn't last longer than 10 seconds, of course!

Italian uproar over judge's 10-second groping rule

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66174352

I work with a bloke who is an absolute dinosaur in his attitudes to women. He'll often comment that women really love it, they use it get ahead in life, it's all harmless fun, etc., etc. If I ever want to shut him up and see double standards at work, I just ask him how he would feel if that person committed that act on his daughter. It's funny how his opinion of it suddenly changes....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:54 pm I work with a bloke who is an absolute dinosaur in his attitudes to women. He'll often comment that women really love it, they use it get ahead in life, it's all harmless fun, etc., etc. If I ever want to shut him up and see double standards at work, I just ask him how he would feel if that person committed that act on his daughter. It's funny how his opinion of it suddenly changes....
I have a colleague with enormous funbags, who uses them to torture geezers like that in the work environment. Makes it obvious she knows they are looking, then they pretend not to look, they end up staring at the ceiling.

I think she picks her victims wisely, I don't think she's getting murdered on the way home.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:10 pm
I have a colleague with enormous funbags, who uses them to torture geezers like that in the work environment. Makes it obvious she knows they are looking, then they pretend not to look, they end up staring at the ceiling.

I think she picks her victims wisely, I don't think she's getting murdered on the way home.
I see it loads in the corporate world, the very attractive ladies with good figures who dress provocatively usually get promoted more, but personally I don't want them in my office if that's how they roll.

I've sent ladies home for dressing inappropriately for an office environment.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:50 pm
DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:10 pm

I see it loads in the corporate world, the very attractive ladies with good figures who dress provocatively usually get promoted more, but personally I don't want them in my office if that's how they roll.

Photos?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:50 pm I see it loads in the corporate world, the very attractive ladies with good figures who dress provocatively usually get promoted more, but personally I don't want them in my office if that's how they roll.

Oh yes I agree - it's distracting for all sorts of reasons. I had another colleague who was gorgeous and made the most of it - it wound up her female colleagues far more than any unrest from blokes leering.

However in this instance she was doing it to punish a geezer who was being a bit of a twat, and it was actually quite funny to see his discomfort.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I used to love not helping the fit secretary at work, which sounds well harsh :lol:

She was pretty capable at many things TBF, but she had a proper 'learned helplessness' thing going on in many fields, she could just flutter her eyelashes and get a man to do something she didn't know how to or want to do.

Fortunately I could see she was attractive on paper but for one reason or another she just didn't "do anything" for me, so I of course could see straight through her (attempted) charms.

T'was actually quite funny watching her deflate when i made her so stuff (which was quite reasonably her job to do) herself.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Here is Vicky Flind's statment in full:

"In light of the recent reporting regarding the 'BBC Presenter' I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family.

"I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.

"Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.

"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future.

"Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published.

"To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.

"In the circumstances and given Huw's condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.

"I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end."

Article share tools
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
irie

Post by irie »

So after being found out by the press (and conveniently shopped by his wife as having mental health issues) Huw Edwards has had a breakdown (and voluntarily committed himself?) which is a convenient get out strategy to get him off the liability hook. Forgive me if I don't believe this garbage about this sleezeball. Another dodgy BBC ducker and diver. Wonder what other dodgy stuff Edwards has been up to over the years?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom.
One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"
"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

'Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance."That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?" "No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"
"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?" The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"
"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man was bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Huw Edwards?
Well crap, I had a fiver on it being Zippy from Rainbow
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:54 pm Huw Edwards?
Zippy was an ITV star. :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 pm ... This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.
But never got promoted at News International.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:54 pm Huw Edwards?
I told the girls at work it was Vernon Kay. Two of them said I bet it is, he has form for sexting etc. Within minutes they had all concluded he was a seedy bastard and all manner of bad things were wished upon him. No one asked me to qualify my statement. The rumour mill is a vicious, advancing machine!
Sincerely,
Super Soaraway Tai...
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I feel sorry for Eamonn Homes. Always did get the two of them confused...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:10 pm I used to love not helping the fit secretary at work, which sounds well harsh :lol:

She was pretty capable at many things TBF, but she had a proper 'learned helplessness' thing going on in many fields, she could just flutter her eyelashes and get a man to do something she didn't know how to or want to do.

Fortunately I could see she was attractive on paper but for one reason or another she just didn't "do anything" for me, so I of course could see straight through her (attempted) charms.

T'was actually quite funny watching her deflate when i made her so stuff (which was quite reasonably her job to do) herself.
You just came out.

Who’s got the hat?