Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: Debanking

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:28 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:13 pm
cheb wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:57 pm 50p for the plastic bags, you can keep the scrap metal.
Ok. Deal. Pm me ur contact info.

Anyone want some bearings? New special offer: 50p off
My inner magpie has been triggered by that little lot. What projects did you buy them for that never materialised?

Supermoto bike shop went bust, I bought up all the bankrupt stock. They’re all bike specific….
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:37 pm I'm triggered by the word bearing, cause it implies servitude.
If you identified as female you could claim that it showed support and nurturing of future generations.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Just to get back to the debanking topic, apparently there are 1.3m people in Britain without bank accounts, 1/3 of them because they've 'got into trouble with debt in the past'. I assume the other 2/3 are travellers who are very much a cash society, but I don't know.

Meanwhile 7.45m people have 'basic' bank accounts that offer essential functionality for handling payments but do not offer credit or other facilities.

It's probably more difficult to 'unbank' people than suggested ^^^^ if basic accounts are available on that scale.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Tell her that...

Plato
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Her partner (who fled the UK, contrary to a Court order) was known as “the Kremlin’s banker”.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:51 pm Her partner (who fled the UK, contrary to a Court order) was known as “the Kremlin’s banker”.
Not her though eh?

I thought it was supposed to be "more difficult" than you think. Seems you just have to pop on a list after a bit of googling and you're fucked.

Ignore the crappy channel and terrible interview, it is her words I find quite chilling. The casual way she was simply cut off from her money. With three kids. In London. What crime did she commit?
Plato
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:51 pm Her partner (who fled the UK, contrary to a Court order) was known as “the Kremlin’s banker”.
The funding behind GB News is interesting too wrt Russian links. Legatum (based in Dubai) and Christopher Chandler aren't exactly 'rouble free' and they do have at least one ex RT presenter. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Has Alexandra been invited to share her experience on lets say a more acceptable channel?

If not, why not? Why, when you search for certain information does it inevitable end up on fringe outlets?

I realise that opens me up to mindless insults from people who want to say "yeahbut you're searching for shite" etc when in fact I'm just looking for the missing pieces that do not fit the mainstream media narrative. Secondly, as with Farage, it is not helpful to personalise the issue and say "oligarchs ex wife who cares".

The issue is this new mechanism whereby banks can exert extreme control on anyone with a bank account (!) AT THEIR WHIM, is a recipe for totalitarianism. Bit like inventing a new law which is proposed to use against terr'ists and then using that authority to go after anyone who does not support your political view.

Not forgetting this PEP moniker and the ridiculous ESG nonsense are tools invented by the WEF specifically to grant themselves more power within an otherwise democratic society. Nobody voted for them to represent our interests. It's all about generating more money and more power for themselves. Nothing else.

For example, do I feel better now that Farage has been deplatformed, debanked and depersoned? Exactly who is benefitting? I wouldn't be surprised if Coutts haven't shot themselves in the foot (get woke go broke) and I fail to see how NOT allowing a controversial figure like Farage to bank with them is better for them in any way. It's political interference in my opinion and I will be surprised if they get away with it. Perhaps horrified would be a better word.
Plato
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Seems like you don't like the reason Coutts told him to do one, so you made a reason up.
Funny how the anti woke are actually the most woke of all when it comes to inventing things to be outraged about. deplatformed, debanked and depersoned
Great examples, could write my PhD on it, top marks for being topical anyway.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:17 pm Just to get back to the debanking topic, apparently there are 1.3m people in Britain without bank accounts, 1/3 of them because they've 'got into trouble with debt in the past'. I assume the other 2/3 are travellers who are very much a cash society, but I don't know.

Meanwhile 7.45m people have 'basic' bank accounts that offer essential functionality for handling payments but do not offer credit or other facilities.

It's probably more difficult to 'unbank' people than suggested ^^^^ if basic accounts are available on that scale.
Havent checked recently, but at CA MK I helped a guy get a basic bank account. The bank wasnt keen, mainly because he had a conviction for bank fraud.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:21 pm
For example, do I feel better now that Farage has been deplatformed, debanked and depersoned?
He's on GB News every weeknight at 7, probably has a load of money in other accounts and he's still Farage, lending his name to craft gin, getting trolled making Cameo vids and doing everything he can to stay relevant.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He can't have been deplatformed that much, the story broke via the man himself!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I just nipped in to see what's so interesting

Hmm. An old MP has tiny problem

RaTTLe's best arguers go into insane mood.

:D
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

He hasn't got a fucking clue...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Anyone who has access to UK-wide media to plead their case for having been debanked/deplatformed/depersoned is clearly none of the above.

I'd be a lot more interested to hear the details of how someone from a sink estate has been unable to obtain a bank account.

There is a large element of 'the boy who cried wolf' here.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:56 pm I just nipped in to see what's so interesting

Hmm. An old MP has tiny problem

RaTTLe's best arguers go into insane mood.

:D
In other news: apparently some dirty old man has swapped his raincoat for leather and is flashing his tits at other men.

Its a funny world.
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:52 pm
For example, do I feel better now that Farage has been deplatformed, debanked and depersoned?
He's on GB News every weeknight at 7, probably has a load of money in other accounts and he's still Farage, lending his name to craft gin, getting trolled making Cameo vids and doing everything he can to stay relevant.
Yeah yeah, Farage is a twat, blah blah. I don't disagree. So it's ok then for the financial services industry to just debank anyone for any reason they like? Wouldn't that leave our democracy somewhat exposed to manipulation for example if a populist figure made it difficult for them to run the world the way that suits them?
Plato
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:06 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:52 pm
Yeah yeah, Farage is a twat, blah blah. I don't disagree. So it's ok then for the financial services industry to just debank anyone for any reason they like? Wouldn't that leave our democracy somewhat exposed to manipulation for example if a populist figure made it difficult for them to run the world the way that suits them?
Their house their rules. They don't have to offer their services to anyone they don't want to. It's no different to getting to the velvet rope and being told "Not tonight mate"

Farage isn't a populist figure outside of his diminishing fanbase, his utter humiliation at the ballot box has proven this, his ex party is on the brink of oblivion with not a single elected at any level.

He's just a grifter who'd probably recite the Koran wrapped in an EU flag if you offered him cash to do so.

He gives as much of a fuck about the man in the street as I do about lesbian lentil recipes.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:17 am
Their house their rules. They don't have to offer their services to anyone they don't want to.
Which is ok if it's a nightclub you can't get into, but when it's an entity that can put you on the streets homeless and hungry, at a whim, then it's a little more concerning.

Unless you're a hoarder then you're probably less than a week away from starting to starve to death if all your banking assets were frozen.
Anything with that much power needs to be a service controlled by democracy, not a dictator to it.

It doesn't matter so much who started the conversation.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:18 am
Unless you're a hoarder then you're probably less than a week away from starting to starve to death if all your banking assets were frozen.
Anything with that much power needs to be a service controlled by democracy, not a dictator
Once upon a time banks would give you back your assets, over the counter, in cash. I once stood next to a bloke in a branch of Barclays who withdrew somewhere north of £100,000 in cash, no problem. All the bank was concerned about was that it was your account, and you had enough money in it.

Then our democracy introduced money laundering rules.

I think I will take my chances witha banj, I certainly dont trust 'democratic' governments.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!