Incoming, project/build Bird Aeris 1.5

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Incoming, project/build Bird Aeris 1.5

Post by weeksy »

Imagep6pb19549170 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Imagep5pb19549171 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

This is going to end up being a bit of a GP type slow burner thread. Basically the plan is to build it up over winter/spring for when the boy is too tall for his current specialized FSR Stumpjumper.

Only downside is a minor one which is that his rear wheel won't fit, but that's far from to sort, i think i can even steal one from Crust for now as a spare.

Bird are a highly thought of bike and they were built just down the road from Swinley Forest, which is my boy and my stomping ground and where he's grown into the rider he is today, so it's very close to us in that context to buy one from them.

There's the added benefit that the guy who designed it posts on the other cycling forum i frequent too. Awesome.

I've still not quite decided how we'll build it yet, we've got many of the bits in spares, so we could in theory build from spares, add some bits like a set of forks and then sell the Specialized as a whole bike, or we can split it up, use all the bits off the Specialized and then sell the frame only.

Collection this weekend, but either way, it's a bit big for the boy so won't be going into full build for a while yet.
porter_jamie

Re: Incoming, project/build Bird Aeris 145

Post by porter_jamie »

missus has the same frame but she got a custom paint job. they do a 160mm rear link. not sure I'd bother if the rider is light. missus has 150mm pikes and wide dt swiss rims on hope hubs and it's a joy to ride. 2.6wt maxxis reckon tyres.
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

that's not a 145 it's a mk1.5 because it's got adjustable travel rear end. its currently in the short travel setting. mine is a 1.5 and its non boost wheels
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

porter_jamie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm that's not a 145 it's a mk1.5 because it's got adjustable travel rear end. its currently in the short travel setting. mine is a 1.5 and its non boost wheels
Ah, right, apologies, i don't know much on them :)

It's deffo non-boost which is OK, i'm going to chat with Crust (member on here) and see if i can steal his forks and wheels short term when building it... He bought my Boost setup front end and my Hope Pro4's which he's running on his T-130, so he's got both a pair of wheels and a set of Suntour Aions which i'll either be able to steal or even buy off him short term for getting it into a running bike.

I've ordered a headset which is one of the main things i don't have in spares, i'll also need a shortish stem and a seatpost 30.9>31.6 shim. The rest of the stuff, i'm pretty sure i've got lying round at least for testing.
porter_jamie

Re: Incoming, project/build Bird Aeris 1.5

Post by porter_jamie »

just seen the price - you got a bargain there.
i run mine on a fox coil shock and coil converted pikes at 160mm. im not sure that was a wise move as its a bit heavy now but its great fun in the alps / bpw / black mountain. i run hope hoops which are a touch heavy - friend of mine is constantly on at me to get some Hunt wheels as he has af ew sets and he says they have transformed his bikes.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

porter_jamie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:36 pm just seen the price - you got a bargain there.
i run mine on a fox coil shock and coil converted pikes at 160mm. im not sure that was a wise move as its a bit heavy now but its great fun in the alps / bpw / black mountain. i run hope hoops which are a touch heavy - friend of mine is constantly on at me to get some Hunt wheels as he has af ew sets and he says they have transformed his bikes.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/
Well i've got to be a little bit careful here as he's only 12 years old after all :D Can't have him running the best of all parts and me having a PoS cheapo bike... even if his riding deserves it, i'm not convinced he gets better components than i have :D

If i use his components fitted to the Specialized he'll end up with 150mm revelations and 11 speed GX kit along with SRAM Guide RS and a Vyron remote dropper... which all things considered is a pretty bloody good spec.

I'd only have to sell his frame/cranks for £400 then to break even which shouldn't be too tricky to do.

THe slightly good side for me is, i now get the Hope Pro4 rear he's been using.
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

sounds like a really nice spec! lucky boy :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

There's an epic site for checking out dimensions on bikes.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

Image2020-10-13_05-10-56 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

What we learn from there is that the Bird is a fair bit longer than his current bike, it's also slightly longer than the wifes Liv Embolden E+ which currently feels too big for him. So that's kind of good as this was always planned as a future bike... But also means there's really no rush at all to get it built.

Although i can bet my arse there's at least 1 member on here who'll want it built ASAP so he can ride it because just like myself, he's been interested in Birds for a long time (stop sniggering).

Looking through my spares boxes and piles, i can build the bike apart from a front 10 speed shifter and a stem without spending any money (once i've borrowed the same persons forks and rear wheel), it'll only be 10 speed and a none clutch SRAM X7 rear mech, but will have good brakes, dropper, cranks etc. All for what's in spares :) (It will also have some proper ugly bars to start with)

Once that's done and we can then have a play with it and over spring i'll get the 11sp kit for the bike and get it fully built with the nicer parts.
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

if you put on the shortest stem in the world and slightly narrower bars (700 is considered narrow these days) how far away are the grips from the tip of the saddle, as that's what is actually important
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

porter_jamie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 pm if you put on the shortest stem in the world and slightly narrower bars (700 is considered narrow these days) how far away are the grips from the tip of the saddle, as that's what is actually important
I guess we'll find out after i collect it Sat.

I've got a 40mm stem in the box along with some 710mm riser bars, so that'll give us a decent indication of where it is for him. I can then either simply sit and wait, or look for the other bits.

Either way, it's only a matter of time before it fits him right, so no biggy if that's not till next summer. He'll love it in Morzine :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Oh errrrm, i've just noticed... There's no water bottle mount points on this ! Even if there was, with such a large shock nothing would fit anyhow.

So i've bailed on the purchase. It's just not viable at his age that he'll take and carry water in a backpack, he'll forget, get dehydrated, the extra weight on his back and growing etc... I just don't think it's the right thing to do.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 am Oh errrrm, i've just noticed... There's no water bottle mount points on this ! Even if there was, with such a large shock nothing would fit anyhow.

So i've bailed on the purchase. It's just not viable at his age that he'll take and carry water in a backpack, he'll forget, get dehydrated, the extra weight on his back and growing etc... I just don't think it's the right thing to do.
I'm guessing that there must be more to it than the water bottle, and you weren't feeling it for other reason(s) too, as seems a shame to abandon it for
just that.
You know that I know 3/5 of feck all about treaders, but I do love the look of that frame, and that sounded like a nice project to me- It ( to me at least) seems a small thing to overcome, and part of the fun- sure you'd be able to adapt / fabricate / get something fabricated , and even if you didn't fancy that, if a water bottle is that important, something (very ugly and yep naff but functional ) like this would do the job, no?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-B ... SwLGxfO0i1

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That'd last about 11s at BPW on the Reds.. LOL

Honestly, the bottle mounts is 100% the reason why it's not being bought.