Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: Debanking

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:01 pm Farage was dropped by Coutts because he no longer abided by the T&C's that all account holders agree to abide by. It's not authoritarianism, it's business. It's not punishment, it's an exclusive club that only let the rich in and Farage has failed Coutt's definition of rich. He can (and undoubtedly will) be able to open an account that doesn't have the price of entry that Coutts exacts. So he hasn't been persecuted or ganged up on, he's just trying to do the only thing he knows how to - self-publicise.

Why is it that any thread of this nature always winds up either with the WEF, AI, Biden, IMF or the New World Order. I suppose I should be grateful it's not The Lizards.
That is a very believable excuse yes but Farage states he is willing to show that his account(s) have remained at some given level for the past decade - so why now?

Plus you're wrong. He can't just open up another account because ALL of the other banks are refusing him. That is why I suggest "ganging up". They are acting as a bloc. It is most likely PEP which is an ESG requirement and is effectively designed to give banks much greater CONTROL over what people say and do. If that's not authoritarianism, I don't know what is. And this is just the tip off the iceberg.

Natwest then realise that this is not going to go unnoticed and have subsequently offered him a regular Natwest account. We'll see how this pans out but the obvious consequence being that Farage (et. al.) had better watch what they say or else. That is an infringement on free speech right there and the hallmark of a totalitarian state.

I honestly don't know why you people keep going on about lizards. Did you forget to wear your tinfoil hat?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:01 pm Why is it that any thread of this nature always winds up either with the WEF, AI, Biden, IMF or the New World Order. I suppose I should be grateful it's not The Lizards.
It was telegraphed in the first post:

'What do we make of this I wonder? I have my own views (of course) but I am interested to hear what people think of it'.

It just took 3 pages before it turned out to be 'I'd like to tell you what I think about AI/WEF again' rather than a fascination with why an organisation with membership rules might turf someone out if they didn't meet them.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

No I am genuinely interested in what people think.

I discover largely that they don't.
Plato
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:33 pm No I am genuinely interested in what people think.

I discover largely that they don't.
:angelic-green:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

In a side note, bearing in mind that there's such a thing as a "Search Bubble" how is it the same people keep pulling up stories about transexuals to be outraged about?

Imagine my disgust when I was innocently searching the internet using the term "Ladyboy DIY" and I found this story about Wickes, I was so disgusted that I won't be using their products again :angry-cussingblack:
I'm now using the term "Caged Tranny" and I better not see anything about post op prisoners actually wearing clothes dangnabbit
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If you wanted to persecute Farage why would you do it now? To what end? He's barely even relevant any more and that's being generous.

Occam's razor IMO.
irie

Post by irie »

I've got accounts at three different banks so if one pisses on me I really don't give a flying fuck, I'll just use another bank. Rocket science. Not.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:54 pm If you wanted to persecute Farage why would you do it now? To what end? He's barely even relevant any more and that's being generous.

Occam's razor IMO.
Exactly. I was just about to mention Occam's razor but you beat me to it.

The only sensible conclusion is that Farage is feeling overlooked and left behind and wants some more of that publicity he craves. So he passes off his inability to meet a banking requirement as persecution.

Infamy, infamy, everyone's got it infamy...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:58 pm I've got accounts at three different banks so if one pisses on me I really don't give a flying fuck, I'll just use another bank. Rocket science. Not.
Likewise, although for me it's five. I'm sure the same is true for Farage.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:59 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:54 pm If you wanted to persecute Farage why would you do it now? To what end? He's barely even relevant any more and that's being generous.

Occam's razor IMO.
Exactly. I was just about to mention Occam's razor but you beat me to it.

The only sensible conclusion is that Farage is feeling overlooked and left behind and wants some more of that publicity he craves. So he passes off his inability to meet a banking requirement as persecution.

Infamy, infamy, everyone's got it infamy...
Or perhaps this:
DT wrote: Now, to hold an account, you need to invest some £1 million with them or have around £3 million in savings. More than two decades ago, the requirements were considerably less onerous. One needed to have around £2,000 in credit.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

One thing we do know is that Coutts have a reputation for discretion (they also style themselves as 'Wealth Managers' rather than anything so hoi polloi as a bank), so we'll never know if he ceased to be sufficiently funded, paid off his £million+ borrowing*, became insufficiently prestigious or they noted funds coming in from dodgy Russian oligarchs or whatever. They did have (still have?) a jolly large tree in their foyer on the Strand though.

* You can be a client if you borrow enough.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

One other thing we know, somehow Farages personal banking arrangements were "leaked" to the BBC.

It is obvious to me that ESG and PEP are legislative mechanisms designed to give authorities greater control over the mass populace, circumventing and subverting our democratic process and hard won freedoms. I'm not really that bothered about it, it really shouldn't affect me. It annoys me though because it's such a dirty trick, I feel the need to expose these shenanigans if only to demonstrate they can't play me for a fool. Despite the rather obvious irony that in laying out my observations people who really don't care suggest I'm the fool.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Plato
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Barely relevant?

He's the orchestrator of Brexit. And hasn't it gone well? Like his banking.

Keep it Brexity; nice and Brexity. :thumbup:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

FFS. Not all heros wear capes. Farage recast in yet another poor-victim role.

Ordinary people have to put up with all sorts of unfairness, problems-they-made-themselves and "that's just the way it is" stuff. Only Farage can make it , newsworthy, lightweight martyrdom and mobilise the petty tinfoilhatters.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Don't forget, we are talking about the genius who campaigned ceaselessly to basically put himself out of an MEP's job, and then was mightily upset when the money stopped rolling in.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:08 pm Don't forget, we are talking about the genius who campaigned ceaselessly to basically put himself out of an MEP's job, and then was mightily upset when the money stopped rolling in.
You realise of course that your comment reveals you think it would be "clever" for a politician to carry on riding the gravy train. Taking as much money as they can grab. Our money. Taxpayers money.

That's not the sort of "clever" politicians I want working for me.
Plato
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:22 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:08 pm Don't forget, we are talking about the genius who campaigned ceaselessly to basically put himself out of an MEP's job, and then was mightily upset when the money stopped rolling in.
You realise of course that your comment reveals you think it would be "clever" for a politician to carry on riding the gravy train. Taking as much money as they can grab. Our money. Taxpayers money.

That's not the sort of "clever" politicians I want working for me.
How on earth do you come up with that piece of ass-backwards thinking? I made no such assertion, and once again you try to twist my words. Farage is a knob and the last person on earth I would want in any position of power. My comment was pointing out the moral vacuum he occupies allied to his inability to think coherently. My comment most certainly was not made in support of him or his modus operandi - quite the opposite, in fact.

The last thing anyone needs are politicians riding the gravy train, and doubly so when they are as morally bankrupt as Farage.
Potter

Post by Potter »

This is more “it doesn’t affect me so I don’t care” stuff.

Farage is pointing out that banks are powerful and can have a significant impact on your life, not just by crashing economies but by singling out people to cancel, if and when they feel like it.

It’s hilarious that some people have put their hatred for rich peoples boutique banking to one side and they’re actually defending Coutts, because they hate Farage more.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Farage is doing what he does best - self-publicity. It's a complete non-story. Banks have net worth thresholds for their most prestigious accounts - who'd a thunk it?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Bollocks, those of you defending farage could have given a toss about the likes of Coutts before today. And "hatred for rich people's banking"? Bit of a stretch, made up even