Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: Debanking

Post by Count Steer »

Just on the subject of PEPs, a certain Ivo Dawnay (he's a journalist) only found out he was one when he tried to change money in Mexico. They scanned his passport and said 'No, you must go to a government owned place to get your local sponduliks'. There's no way to find out who put him on the list or why or how to get off it.

Given the fact that he's married to Boris Johnson's sister you might think he could get a few strings pulled to find out. If he's on it because he's married to a PEPs sister you'd think someone would have told him he's at risk of bribery and corruption...and that it's an entrusted public function. :D

'In financial regulation, a politically exposed person (PEP) is one who has been entrusted with a prominent public function. A PEP generally presents a higher risk for potential involvement in bribery and corruption by virtue of their position and the influence they may hold'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:40 pm Screwd and Yambo are right though, not having a bank is much more of a problem today. Literally unemployable in a lot of places/roles. You can't shop either in many places, loads of stuff here in MK just doesn't take cash.

I'd be surprised if there aren't laws to prevent you being debanked entirely but I've not looked. I also suspect there's no law saying you have the right to a good bank account.
Which is another matter entirely innit? And certainly not what Farage is whinging about - he's just moaning that he's been caught in a loophole (and it's probably a loophole of his own making) and he's milking the last bit of cow-juice out of the geriatric milker that is his dead career

Give us a list of those who've been debanked entirely so that we have something to shoot at. Absolutely this will be a whos?-who? of fraudsters and bankrupts. A colleague of mine used to whine like a milkfloat that he couldn't get a mortgage because he'd been recently bankrupt. "I've changed.". So you say, have a think about it in your rented flat for a few years until your credit score is a bit less iffy.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I bet my bottom dollar all the Russian/Ukranian money sloshing around in the UK housing market is perfectly safe...

As an aside, are we all aware that there is a proposal for cash to be "phased out"!

Problem with cash being there is no control over who spends it and how. I mean we should be perfectly happy to be treated like criminals or terr'ists if it catches the actual criminals right? I mean it's not as if they already have a way round that type of authoritarian control...

I believe there is a petition doing the rounds to make it clear to Richy that the general populace quite like the idea of being able to spend their own money without it being monitored by the state.

In reply to some comment made earlier, yes banks have been around for 100 years etc. but there's this new thing called the internet which connects everything/everyone and another new thing called AI which monitors everything - and everyone.

Increasingly I am beginning to wonder if my obsessive/compulsive nature is already falling foul of some of the deeply psychological tricks that appear on YouTube, FaceBook, Google etc. Certainly I am being fed an unhealthy stream of YouTube videos by an AI driven algorithm. More recently I was mindlessly (!) browsing FaceBook (a number of ex uni colleagues persuaded me!) and for some reason just bought a natty looking pair of shorts. Without thinking. That was two weeks ago, still waiting for delivery and I have probably been tricked into feeding the Shein monster (aka the CCP sweatshop).
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:13 pm
As an aside, are we all aware that there is a proposal for cash to be "phased out"!
I've not been to a cashpoint in 3 years.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I'm loading all my cards onto my phone. My fear of being left behind like a pissy granddad is far greater than my fear of Biden using his magic laptop to steal all my money and personality so that he can shoot the crack with all his nazi hookers
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

So Farage decided to out himself as being a peasant without a pot to piss in?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:41 pm So Farage decided to out himself as being a peasant without a pot to piss in?
Well, less than £3m. So more than you.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Peasantry is relative
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:44 pm Peasantry is relative
So is bullshit.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

On the rag?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:50 pmOn the rag?
Why, because you're being a prick and I called you out for it?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Farrage just didn't have enough money to keep an account witb them, they offered him a plain old Natwest account like us plebs have and the fucking snowflake pissed and moaned about it.

HGAF?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Farage would be far more upset if they'd said he isn't a PEP. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:50 pm
Holy shit, PMS too? Take a fucking Midol. All I did was ask a question.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:24 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:50 pm
Holy shit, PMS too? Take a fucking Midol. All I did was ask a question.
Bullshit again. You were being wankerish and trying to look cool and score points. However, you were completely off target with your aim. It's just fucking pathetic how some of you just want to score virtual points and usually against people who'd never ever even see it. So who are you scoring points against?

It's always the same this place and it's quite frankly pathetic
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:24 pm Farage would be far more upset if they'd said he isn't a PEP. :lol:
You have to admit, his political career is a complete farce, only place he gets elected to and his entire mission in life is to have it abolished and put himself out of a job.....

He's a caricature of a politician, watching him on GB News is like watching Spitting Image for real. Hates immigration, married to a German and his kids speak German at home. Supposedly a man of the people but went to Dulwich and is moaning about not having an account with some bank that requires a minimum 3 million quid?

The guy's a walking definition of irony.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:28 pm Bullshit again. You were being wankerish and trying to look cool and score points. However, you were completely off target with your aim. It's just fucking pathetic how some of you just want to score virtual points and usually against people who'd never ever even see it. So who are you scoring points against?

LMFAO!! You sure as fuck read WAY to much into some posts. Take a day off, go get drunker.

Edit: or sober up.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:48 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:28 pm Bullshit again. You were being wankerish and trying to look cool and score points. However, you were completely off target with your aim. It's just fucking pathetic how some of you just want to score virtual points and usually against people who'd never ever even see it. So who are you scoring points against?

LMFAO!! You sure as fuck read WAY to much into some posts. Take a day off, go get drunker.
It's 4.45 and I'm working. Well, sort of.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I am less concerned about who they are doing this to or why. It is the mere fact that the banks can literally gang up and punish citizens at their whim. It is a slippery slope and if we turn a blind eye to this type of authoritarianism, it will only get worse.

Plus of course, the entire system is being gamed by the WEF to hand themselves more power and make it even more difficult to exist in our society without an accredited bank account. This is why they were horrified at the prospect of bitcoin which is effectively electronic cash, right at the moment they want to phase out cash and have the entire populace dependant on electronic banking to survive.

Secondly, if it is true that the powers that be are beginning to introduce AI into the equation, that's not good for the development of AI! We need to seriously start thinking of these(this?) system as an intelligent being, albeit a very immature, childish one. Currently it is being "trained" for all the wrong reasons. This will inevitably influence its character.

I appreciate a fair few people will assume I must be out of my mind, crazy at this point. it' s just a machine, it's not "sentient" etc.

I have news for you. If you think that AI is not going to become a free thinking, self aware conscious entity, you are wrong. It is inevitable.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Farage was dropped by Coutts because he no longer abided by the T&C's that all account holders agree to abide by. It's not authoritarianism, it's business. It's not punishment, it's an exclusive club that only let the rich in and Farage has failed Coutt's definition of rich. He can (and undoubtedly will) be able to open an account that doesn't have the price of entry that Coutts exacts. So he hasn't been persecuted or ganged up on, he's just trying to do the only thing he knows how to - self-publicise.

Why is it that any thread of this nature always winds up either with the WEF, AI, Biden, IMF or the New World Order. I suppose I should be grateful it's not The Lizards.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.