Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by mangocrazy »

There is of course the 'early adopter' and 'save the planet' demographics to consider here (and I'm not taking a pop at the ecologically aware), and I suspect that most of the EVs you see on the road have been bought by folks who fall within those loose groupings. It's converting the rest of the populace to go EV that will be the difficult bit, particularly those who can't afford a new EV and/or who don't have the means to charge at home.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There's at least one owner (I guess? He's gone quiet) who bought one because he prefers it on it's own merits. :D

viewtopic.php?t=7611

I'm the same, range isn't really an issue for me because of my lifestyle. If I can get an EV next I will because they're genuinely better cars IMO. Once you've driven a decent on going back to ICE is like downgrading, assuming range isn't a problem.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:08 pm There is of course the 'early adopter' and 'save the planet' demographics to consider here (and I'm not taking a pop at the ecologically aware), and I suspect that most of the EVs you see on the road have been bought by folks who fall within those loose groupings. It's converting the rest of the populace to go EV that will be the difficult bit, particularly those who can't afford a new EV and/or who don't have the means to charge at home.
Most of the people i know with electric cars are very much in the 'I want a new car and don't want to pay for petrol' demographics.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:15 pm If I can get an EV next I will because they're genuinely better cars IMO
It still depends on what you want from a car. I like manual sports cars with character and excitement, so have little interest in switching to electric. My missus likes to be as removed from the process of driving as possible and likes quiet, refined, automatic cars. We're looking at electric for her next.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

On a personal level, I could see myself driving an EV as long as range and speed of charge is at the same level as an ICE vehicle. I tend to regard a car as a tool to do a job and as long as the car does the job reliably and efficiently I'd be fine with it. If I want fun, character and excitement I have motorbikes for that. But the cost of entry is a barrier (I've never bought a new car in my life) as is range anxiety and charging concerns.

I'm ready to be convinced, but I'm nowhere near that at present.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:40 pm On a personal level, I could see myself driving an EV as long as range and speed of charge is at the same level as an ICE vehicle. I tend to regard a car as a tool to do a job and as long as the car does the job reliably and efficiently I'd be fine with it. If I want fun, character and excitement I have motorbikes for that. But the cost of entry is a barrier (I've never bought a new car in my life) as is range anxiety and charging concerns.

I think the cost of entry has been a big factor in that it used to be that you had to buy new and many people, both you and I included, don't want to do that.

But this is just a time factor and will inexorably improve as time moves on. Even now, there are 20,000 EVs for sale on Autotrader, starting at £3k. Still not the same choice as for ICE of course, but the difference is diminishing fast.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:50 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:40 pm On a personal level, I could see myself driving an EV as long as range and speed of charge is at the same level as an ICE vehicle. I tend to regard a car as a tool to do a job and as long as the car does the job reliably and efficiently I'd be fine with it. If I want fun, character and excitement I have motorbikes for that. But the cost of entry is a barrier (I've never bought a new car in my life) as is range anxiety and charging concerns.

I think the cost of entry has been a big factor in that it used to be that you had to buy new and many people, both you and I included, don't want to do that.

But this is just a time factor and will inexorably improve as time moves on. Even now, there are 20,000 EVs for sale on Autotrader, starting at £3k. Still not the same choice as for ICE of course, but the difference is diminishing fast.
I've had another look to see what can replace my 7 year old e class estate, I need an estate to carry the mountain bike and my car cost me £14k. It's got an easy 5-10 years life left yet and probably more as I only do 7k miles a year in it. Fuel costs me around £85 a month. Tax is £135 a year. Servicing and tyres add another £400. So running costs are around £1500 a year. Looking at EV's I can't find one as big as the E class but if I take say a Skoda Enyaq which will do the job then road tax also has luxury tax on from next year so that's £500+. I know one person with one and they needed a pair of front tyres at 7k miles and they cost £560. Going on their range and having a low charging tariff at home electric will cost me £15 a month. That's a big saving, but still total cost is £1200 ish plus a service and doesn't allow for any charging in the public domain which would be needed. Being generous running costs for 7k miles could be similar.
None of this takes into account buying or leasing, a £14k loan will cost me £15200 over 3 years. At the end I'll have a car worth £7k. Total cost for 3 years £12700/£352 a month
The enyaq on a 3 year lease £4200 down and £430 a month and hand the car back, total cost for 3 years is £23280/£646 a month.

Obviously I'm comparing an older car vs a new one but if I replace the e class with a reliable older petrol toyota the figures are even more in favour of the petrol car. I just don't see any world I live in where £600+ a month on a car is acceptable even if I can afford it. Guess there's many that think it is ok though.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Couchy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:52 pmAll that
I agree. It's definitely only a reasonable cost proposition for certain people/scenarios with specific needs.

I've only ever bought 2nd hand for cash, but my missus wants a new car and has a salary sacrifice scheme through work. For that situation it's more weighted towards an EV as she'll be spending 500/month on a brand new car either way with all costs aside from fuel built-in. The main factor is whether she wants an ICE that does 40mpg or an EV that does an equivalent 75mpg. May as well go electric.

I shan't be replacing my 911 any time soon though!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:11 pm
Couchy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:52 pmAll that
I agree. It's definitely only a reasonable cost proposition for certain people/scenarios with specific needs.

I've only ever bought 2nd hand for cash, but my missus wants a new car and has a salary sacrifice scheme through work. For that situation it's more weighted towards an EV as she'll be spending 500/month on a brand new car either way with all costs aside from fuel built-in. The main factor is whether she wants an ICE that does 40mpg or an EV that does an equivalent 75mpg. May as well go electric.

I shan't be replacing my 911 any time soon though!
Or a hybrid that does 70mpg?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:55 pm Or a hybrid that does 70mpg?
Yep.

The crazy price of electricity has skewed the figures an awful lot of course, and minimised the advantage. The people I know with EVs tend to use nighttime tariffs which bring the rate down to about 7.5p. At that point you're talking 300+ mpg so well beyond hybrids. 75mpg was a fairly arbitrary figure tbh, and even at full rates of 30p would be typically more like 85 I think for many cars.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Although matey boy with the slightly too long commute is presumably getting infinity mpg - or at least, will be when he can charge at work for free :D

We - the electric car company - don't have charging at work. Some kind of irony in that we're using up every single scrap of electricity we can get our hands on to build electric motors :lol:
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:50 pm But this is just a time factor and will inexorably improve as time moves on. Even now, there are 20,000 EVs for sale on Autotrader, starting at £3k.
Starting at £3k...Nissan Leaf with 40 miles of battery range remaining.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Kneerly Down wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:10 pm
Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:50 pm But this is just a time factor and will inexorably improve as time moves on. Even now, there are 20,000 EVs for sale on Autotrader, starting at £3k.
Starting at £3k...Nissan Leaf with 40 miles of battery range remaining.
Is that a 2010 model? A ~£30k car down to £3k (at current prices) in 13 years seems a bit :( 40 miles (in winter?) is bordering on useless though so £3k actually seems pricey.

PS @Slenver at £500/month is saving a few p on running cost really an issue?
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I have a hybrid, all paid for and 7 years old. Based on my last Lexus it should be good for 20 years, and still be reliable, even if cosmetically it may have a few scars. The worry is that the last one was ICE only, I am not certain the battery in the hybrid will last 20 years

When the 2030 cut off was announced I vaguely planned to buy a new hybrid in about 2028, just to be sure I didn't miss the cut off. A Toyota electric with 700 mile range, and 10 minute recharge could change that, that sort of range and recharge speed I can live with.

However by 2030 I will be 84 (assuming i haven't fallen off my perch), so maybe I should stick with what I have? Or buy a little electric something since I will only drive 5 miles to Tesco and I can top it up there? Or be really outrageous and buy a pure ICE toy like a Mazda MX5?

Decisions, decisions!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:15 pm There's at least one owner (I guess? He's gone quiet) who bought one because he prefers it on it's own merits. :D

viewtopic.php?t=7611
He's probably still out playing on it!! :lol: :lol:

Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:22 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:15 pm If I can get an EV next I will because they're genuinely better cars IMO
It still depends on what you want from a car. I like manual sports cars with character and excitement, so have little interest in switching to electric. My missus likes to be as removed from the process of driving as possible and likes quiet, refined, automatic cars. We're looking at electric for her next.
I love the idea of one. I very rarely do long distance drives and when I do I could easily organise it to allow for charging.

But where I live it probably won't be possible for some time. I'm in a first floor apartment without parking anywhere near.
There are a couple of charging points in the covered parking I can use in the winter, but I'm not sure how often I could actually take one of the spaces.
Living at 2000m is probably not ideal for the cold in the winter and the fact that it's about 22kms down a mountain before I drive anywhere sensible. I am sure I've been told that is not ideal either!!

But, TBF, if I could afford one and find decent parking, I'd probably got for a bike version cos that'd be a lot of fun I think

Like Slenver, I do like the idea of a manual sports car and whilst I suspect that electric would have its own buzz, I'm not sure it would match. In an ideal world I'd have an automatic every day car and a manual 2 seater soft top!! I suppose an electric could replace the everyday one :D :D :D (In about a million years when I can afford one - by which time everything will have changed, and I won't be able to drive anyway!! LOL)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

UK sales
20230704_195721.jpg
20230704_195721.jpg (229.13 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:53 pm However by 2030 I will be 84 (assuming i haven't fallen off my perch), so maybe I should stick with what I have? Or buy a little electric something since I will only drive 5 miles to Tesco and I can top it up there? Or be really outrageous and buy a pure ICE toy like a Mazda MX5?
I'd say you need to be a bit more outrageous with your outrageousness.

I'd suggest this for sir... :D

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5117262631
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:26 pm PS @Slenver at £500/month is saving a few p on running cost really an issue?
I'd certainly say so. Difference between, say 40 and 80mpg is about £800/year, so £2,400 over a 3-year lease. I'd very much prefer to save that!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:20 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:26 pm PS @Slenver at £500/month is saving a few p on running cost really an issue?
I'd certainly say so. Difference between, say 40 and 80mpg is about £800/year, so £2,400 over a 3-year lease. I'd very much prefer to save that!
Well, of course you would....it's not your car. :lol:
Voltaire
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:23 pm
Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:20 pm

Well, of course you would....it's not your car. :lol:
She thinks filling up with fuel is a blue job.