Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Horse »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:50 am Fella at work has just bought a new Tesla Model 3 long range.
He turned up to work yesterday in his old Fiesta 1.8 diesel - range anxiety has got to him already and worried about being able to locate operational chargers and not being able to make it home!
How far is his commute?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Slenver

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Slenver »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:50 am Fella at work has just bought a new Tesla Model 3 long range.
He turned up to work yesterday in his old Fiesta 1.8 diesel - range anxiety has got to him already and worried about being able to locate operational chargers and not being able to make it home!
That's a hell of a commute. Real world range in summer will be 300 miles at the least, so assume he must live at least 150 miles away with no ability to charge at work?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Horse wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:53 am
How far is his commute?
About 160 miles each way
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:56 am
That's a hell of a commute. Real world range in summer will be 300 miles at the least, so assume he must live at least 150 miles away with no ability to charge at work?
160 miles each way - comes down for a few days in the office and then back home. Chargers are being installed at work but as with everything, very slowly.
I do know another guy with a Model 3 and he commutes 220 miles per day but I'd guess through winter he may be pushing his luck somewhat.....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So he bought a car with a stated range of 300 miles to do a regular 320 mile round trip? :hmmm:

EDIT: Oh it's long range - so stated 375 miles. Be reet :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:01 am So he bought a car with a stated range of 300 miles to do a regular 320 mile round trip? :hmmm:

EDIT: Oh it's long range - so stated 375 miles. Be reet :D
He was full of confidence until it arrived - he's keeping a spreadsheet of its power consumption now. Was quite surprised how much power they consume just sitting idle!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Heating you mean?

Kinda illustrates how much power an ICE wastes too, you can run those systems off of what the engine is chucking away in the bin :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:11 am Heating you mean?

Kinda illustrates how much power an ICE wastes too, you can run those systems off of what the engine is chucking away in the bin :D
~Chatting to him yesterday he quote 1kW just to keep the car systems alive per day? Not being used, no heat - just sat on his driveway.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Dunno TBH, does sound like a lot. Probably more likely self discharge on the battery?

SOC is also notoriously hard to measure accurately, so even comparing "hot battery just parked" to "cold battery which has been outside all night" will appear to show some loss even if it's not "real".
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:24 am ~Chatting to him yesterday he quote 1kW just to keep the car systems alive per day? Not being used, no heat - just sat on his driveway.
Does he mean 1 kWh?

Never thought about it like that, but even at today's crazy energy prices that's still only 30p/day. Not gonna break the bank one would hope.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:29 am Dunno TBH, does sound like a lot. Probably more likely self discharge on the battery?

SOC is also notoriously hard to measure accurately, so even comparing "hot battery just parked" to "cold battery which has been outside all night" will appear to show some loss even if it's not "real".
Slenver wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:29 am
v8-powered wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:24 am ~Chatting to him yesterday he quote 1kW just to keep the car systems alive per day? Not being used, no heat - just sat on his driveway.
Does he mean 1 kWh?

Never thought about it like that, but even at today's crazy energy prices that's still only 30p/day. Not gonna break the bank one would hope.
Think it's all adding to his anxiety TBH.
Whilst I'd happily have an EV for my wife, who does max 25 miles per day, I think anyone who does decent mileage is still playing roulette until the infrastructure is improved. I can see him using his diesel Festa until the chargers at work are commissioned, even then I think he'll stress......
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:38 am Whilst I'd happily have an EV for my wife, who does max 25 miles per day, I think anyone who does decent mileage is still playing roulette until the infrastructure is improved. I can see him using his diesel Festa until the chargers at work are commissioned, even then I think he'll stress......
I'd definitely not enjoy commuting to the very limit of range if there was no option to charge en route or at work.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If this report is to believed, and if Toyota is being entirely truthful about the solid state battery tech they are developing, then they are saying that by 2030 they will be able to commercially offer a battery with a range of greater than 700 miles and a recharge time of 10 minutes. Sounds (and smells) suspiciously like pie in the sky to me, but the EV market really does need a step change of this magnitude to gain widespread adoption.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ctric-cars
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:33 am If this report is to believed, and if Toyota is being entirely truthful about the solid state battery tech they are developing, then they are saying that by 2030 they will be able to commercially offer a battery with a range of greater than 700 miles and a recharge time of 10 minutes. Sounds (and smells) suspiciously like pie in the sky to me, but the EV market really does need a step change of this magnitude to gain widespread adoption.

IIRC there was a scientist (or a team) at some Uni who had figured that out, a year or two ago, but was looking for corporate backing to investigate whether or not it was feasible as an actual product. Mind you - that happens all the time - there's lots of people investigating this as a desirable technology, so they're always testing different materials and combinations.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Solid state batteries already exist, Toyota already exist...so....dunno. I mentioned a few pages back about how Mercedes are also brining silicone anode batteries to market, they potentially have up to 10 times the energy density of current tech.

As I've said loads of times now, I don't think there's going to be a step change. There are lots of incremental changes which are already happening. This is also reflected in the ownership figures, loads of people say "oh you need a step change of XXX for wide spread adoption to occur" and meanwhile OEMs are selling (literally) millions of EVs. The snowball has already started rolling.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:33 am If this report is to believed, and if Toyota is being entirely truthful about the solid state battery tech they are developing, then they are saying that by 2030 they will be able to commercially offer a battery with a range of greater than 700 miles and a recharge time of 10 minutes. Sounds (and smells) suspiciously like pie in the sky to me, but the EV market really does need a step change of this magnitude to gain widespread adoption.

And a high explosive burn rate of 8000!

What ever happened to Hydrogen power, i though that was coming back into fashion again?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:41 am As I've said loads of times now, I don't think there's going to be a step change. There are lots of incremental changes which are already happening. This is also reflected in the ownership figures, loads of people say "oh you need a step change of XXX for wide spread adoption to occur" and meanwhile OEMs are selling (literally) millions of EVs. The snowball has already started rolling.
What you're seeing are people with lots of disposable cash who can pick up another motoring toy to add to their collection. This is not mass adoption. Mass adoption is when the likes of grumpy old gits like me decide that it makes sense to go EV. At present that is sufficiently far in the future for it to be not worth thinking about.

Stuff like Toyota's alleged breakthrough is the kind of thing that could change my thinking, not incremental (read, very small) improvements.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:47 am What you're seeing are people with lots of disposable cash who can pick up another motoring toy to add to their collection. This is not mass adoption. Mass adoption is when the likes of grumpy old gits like me decide that it makes sense to go EV. At present that is sufficiently far in the future for it to be not worth thinking about.
It's somewhere in between that. ICE cars still outsell EVs, but to say EVs are only bought as toys is hugely disingenuous. In December, the no.1, no.2 and no.9 best-selling cars in the UK were pure electric, and at least two others in the top 10 had electric variants of the models.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I dropped my daughter at school this morning more than half the cars there were EVs, I made a note of it cause its some kind of threshold.

When the top 10 best selling cars list generally contains 1 or more EVs (which it does) it's time to stop thinking of them as niche IMO.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

That would make sense for me. However I won't hold my breath for it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!