Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Couchy

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Couchy »

demographic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:09 pm
Couchy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:00 am Friend has the new Porsche Taycan with the sound generator, yup it makes an engine noise to the outside world lol. Nice car and quick but still does nothing for me. Fake engine note aside it's the same noise as a Nissan leaf. Lease plus electric still works out more expensive than running a diesel and you still have the EV downsides. We see a lot of care dealers whilst installing charge points and most are saying the market for selling to private buyers is dead. Lease companies and low BIK are all that's keeping the market going and as soon as the tax benefits change it'll kill that too. It's still rare to see an EV up here, maybe see 2 or 3 a week.
Im not joking here but what backwater do you live in?

I see more Teslas than that most days in Carlisle, let alone other EVs included.

The last cew weeks Ive been working xlose to home so have only done less than thirty miles a week work driving and Ive seen more EVs than that per day.
I live in Mansfield, North Notts. I live in one of the more expensive parts, on our road there is perhaps 100 cars and one is an EV. On the whole estate there's one other I've seen so maybe 0.5% of cars are EV but even that is only in the part I live. Where my unit is I pass through an old mining village and I haven't seen one and there's 2000+ houses there. Most cars there are £2-£3k maximum. In fact looking round our town that's about the average car price. You can still buy a house here for £100k. With this in mind it's obvious these people can't get cars on finance so what do they do when they have to buy an EV ? It's ok saying they'll have to get public transport but that's non existent at some times. Of course they are only low paid workers so they could just sign on, but when they can't get to work who does the low paid jobs ? Might think it doesn't matter but there's some huge warehouses here employing 1000's and then there's no one to send the stuff out to those who can afford an electric car. Maybe one day an old EV will be down to a price they can afford but the range will be so low they won't be able to go anywhere. Once you've priced the lower earners off the road there's going to be issues getting people to do their jobs.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You can still buy pure ICE cars (under current plans) up until 2030.

If people are driving £2k cars now they're probably what, 10-15 years old? It'll be 2040-45 before you can't get a 10 or 15 year old ICE car any more. Things will change a lot by 2045, in one form or another!

People have had jobs for a long time, a lot longer than people have had cars.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Couchy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:54 pm
Couchy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:00 am Friend has the new Porsche Taycan with the sound generator, yup it makes an engine noise to the outside world lol. Nice car and quick but still does nothing for me. Fake engine note aside it's the same noise as a Nissan leaf. Lease plus electric still works out more expensive than running a diesel and you still have the EV downsides. We see a lot of care dealers whilst installing charge points and most are saying the market for selling to private buyers is dead. Lease companies and low BIK are all that's keeping the market going and as soon as the tax benefits change it'll kill that too. It's still rare to see an EV up here, maybe see 2 or 3 a week.

I see more Teslas than that most days in Carlisle, let alone other EVs included.

The last cew weeks Ive been working xlose to home so have only done less than thirty miles a week work driving and Ive seen more EVs than that per day.
I live in Mansfield, North Notts. I live in one of the more expensive parts, on our road there is perhaps 100 cars and one is an EV. On the whole estate there's one other I've seen so maybe 0.5% of cars are EV but even that is only in the part I live. Where my unit is I pass through an old mining village and I haven't seen one and there's 2000+ houses there. Most cars there are £2-£3k maximum. In fact looking round our town that's about the average car price. You can still buy a house here for £100k. With this in mind it's obvious these people can't get cars on finance so what do they do when they have to buy an EV ? It's ok saying they'll have to get public transport but that's non existent at some times. Of course they are only low paid workers so they could just sign on, but when they can't get to work who does the low paid jobs ? Might think it doesn't matter but there's some huge warehouses here employing 1000's and then there's no one to send the stuff out to those who can afford an electric car. Maybe one day an old EV will be down to a price they can afford but the range will be so low they won't be able to go anywhere. Once you've priced the lower earners off the road there's going to be issues getting people to do their jobs.
Prime candidate for a 15 minute city?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:02 pm You can still buy pure ICE cars (under current plans) up until 2030.

If people are driving £2k cars now they're probably what, 10-15 years old? It'll be 2040-45 before you can't get a 10 or 15 year old ICE car any more. Things will change a lot by 2045, in one form or another!

People have had jobs for a long time, a lot longer than people have had cars.
Before cars people lived a lot closer to work. I don’t see how an EV that costs £40k will ever be affordable for those on the breadline that can just run a cheap ICE car. Old EV also have very low range left in them. It maybe 10–15 years before ICE cars are done but they’ll be taxed off the road before they’re all worn out which will also hit the low earners first. Anyone that doesn’t see that low earners need cheap transport is sipping the EV koolaid. It’s as bad as the environment argument when what is really needed is the discouragement of personal transport, of course as above people don’t live local to work etc anymore.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:46 pm
Couchy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:54 pm

Prime candidate for a 15 minute city?
Yup, the future isn’t personal transport of any sort tbh.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Well, since I mentioned it I've spotted a Kia EV, a Proace DPD delivery EV van and the first VW ID Buzz I've ever seen yet.

To be fair, I reckon thats less than most days.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If I avoid the pre-9am traffic the number of electric cars I see locally is pretty impressive. Loads of 'em, all makes but the little BMW is popular, loads of Hyundais too . You need ears like a bat walking across the car parks! Never see them plugged into the chargers in the local car parks though so assume they're all charged at home. Not so much retired old giffers either so I also suspect a lot of them are second cars/runabouts.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Get the commuters on E bikes where possible. Government sweetner to help with purchase. Must go 25 mph. Just buy and ride. KIS.
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66083329

Electric carmaker Tesla says it delivered a record number of vehicles in the three months to the end of June, after cutting prices to boost sales.

It has lowered prices in markets including the US, UK and China to compete with rival manufacturers.

This weekend, major Chinese car makers also reported a surge in sales in June.

Earlier this year, Tesla boss Elon Musk said he believed pursuing higher sales, with lower profits, was the "right choice" for the company.

On Sunday, Tesla said it delivered 466,140 vehicles in the second quarter, which was more than 80% higher than a year earlier.

Meanwhile, the company said it had increased vehicle production to nearly 480,000 in the same period.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:18 am This weekend, major Chinese car makers also reported a surge in sales in June.
Take the Chinese reports with a pinch of salt. One of several reports I've seen on this.

https://insideevs.com/news/672926/china ... byd-geely/
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I live in Cornwall. Lots of very expensive housing lots of 2nd homes/holiday lets, and lots of poorly paid people on minimum wage and/or seasonal work.

Lots of Chelsea Tractors, more than a few EVs, but almost all confined to visitors or 2nd home owners. Most locals drive sub £5k cars. Many EV visitors struggle to find convenient nearby chargers.

Come the great electrification Cornwall folk are going to be reliant on buses, so your favourite local restaurant or hotel is likely to only be open o Tuesday and Thursday.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:29 am
Horse wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:18 am This weekend, major Chinese car makers also reported a surge in sales in June.
Take the Chinese reports with a pinch of salt. One of several reports I've seen on this.

As the article says:
The abandoned cars may have undergone a similar fate. So take the YouTuber's allegations with a pinch of salt.
Akin to the widely-seen video of the stored EVs on fire. Actually a US scrapyard full of IC cars.

However, depending on how often it's updated, it would be interesting if someone could find it on Google Earth.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

LOL!! Now you're sharing articles that were also posted on CCD...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/china ... ge-fields/
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:48 pm

LOL!! Now you're sharing articles that were also posted on CCD...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/china ... ge-fields/
As the first linked article says:
The abandoned cars may have undergone a similar fate. So take the YouTuber's allegations with a pinch of salt.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

You didnt really think any goverments were just going to give up tax revenue because of technology change, did you?

Pay per mile, pay per kWh, whatever. You WILL pay.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ford projects it will lose $3 billion on electric vehicles in 2023, bringing its EV losses to $5.1 billion over two years.

In 2021, Ford reportedly lost $34,000 on every EV it made. This year it was losing more than $58,000 on every EV.
https://thefederalist.com/2023/06/29/el ... sive-scam/
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:56 pm As the first linked article says:
Which is EXACTLY what the CCD link says, because it's the EXACT SAME article... But Piranha says everything on CCD is bullshit.. so it's gospel on one website & bullshit on another... Hence my post the other day about him debunking a debunked report on a debunked website.. then today he posts the EXACT SAME article.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:00 pm
Ford projects it will lose $3 billion on electric vehicles in 2023, bringing its EV losses to $5.1 billion over two years.

In 2021, Ford reportedly lost $34,000 on every EV it made. This year it was losing more than $58,000 on every EV.
https://thefederalist.com/2023/06/29/el ... sive-scam/
It doesn't cost 34k or even 58k to produce an EV, let alone making 58k loss.

I imagine those figures are "total amount spent on EVs (i.e. including all the billions spending on R&D) divided by number of cars produced", which is schoolboys level of sophistication.

We can give Ford a proper schooling in that area, we've NEVER made a profit :lol:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Fella at work has just bought a new Tesla Model 3 long range.
He turned up to work yesterday in his old Fiesta 1.8 diesel - range anxiety has got to him already and worried about being able to locate operational chargers and not being able to make it home!