In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
MyLittleStudPony

Re: In todays news...

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:51 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:18 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:46 pm Going green - 20% is added to your gas and electricity bill, going into the pockets of those benefiting from this green 'carbon neutral' cult.
And if the UK were carbon neutral tomorrow it would make 2/5 of 3/8 of the square root of fuck all difference to the planet. We are a small, pretty insignificant, little country.
Carbon neutral is meaningless anyway. The only way it could mean anything is to not do anything, basically do not live, as carbon is a natural element, you can't be rid of it.

And for what?
Once again you evidence your low IQ.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:57 pm I am not going to defend Tory poicy in the past, I am however concerned about the future.
Sorry, didn't finish my train of thought ...

Anyway, it was going to be along lines of
- people put up with austerity
- believed jam tomorrow
- they endured the last three years, including the Johnson and Truss fiascos
- they're now seeing reduced fruit, reduced sugar, no-jar, jam - and are saying 'enough'
- they will push back against whichever broken promises, etc., fit their beliefs
- but they're in for even more grief
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

The problem is the continuing increase in World population.

I have no solution to that. Sorry.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:23 pm The problem is the continuing increase in World population.

Absolutely. There's just too fucking many of us. How do you fix a problem like that?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:53 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:23 pm The problem is the continuing increase in World population.

Absolutely. There's just too fucking many of us. How do you fix a problem like that?
We can’t fix it. Things will happen, that will restore balance.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

There is also the problem that business and governmental projections are based on continuous growth on a finite planet, and one where the available arable land is shrinking year on year.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:55 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:53 pm

We can’t fix it. Things will happen, that will restore balance.
They will. But they will not be popular, or enjoyable.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

There is an imbalance. It will be resolved.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:46 pm Going green - 20% is added to your gas and electricity bill, going into the pockets of those benefiting from this green 'carbon neutral' cult.
And if the UK were carbon neutral tomorrow it would make 2/5 of 3/8 of the square root of fuck all difference to the planet. We are a small, pretty insignificant, little country.
I believe the correct equation is three quarters of the square root of fuck all but you're right of course.

In some ways we are facing a disaster, climate change, global warming it is bad and it will get worse. CO2 levels are astronomically high, we're in a right pickle.

So far so what? That's not news, we get that rammed down our throats constantly. What the "news" and the greedy energy companies neglect to tell us is that nothing we do now will make the slightest difference in our lifetimes. We pumped way too much crap into the atmosphere way too quickly AND removed a large swath of the CO2 scrubbers. I think we're still chopping down the Amazon rainforest as we speak. That won't grow back in our lifetimes either.

Having spent 200 years or so dumping vast amounts of CO2 and other global warming gasses/emissions into the atmosphere it will take time for the planet to recover. Quite a lot of them I should expect. One or two centuries at least so this idea that we need to hit net zero by <name that tune> is frankly, bollocks. We need a sensible and considered approach to gently weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels. There is a rate which would be sustainable and merely lining the pockets of global corporations is not the answer.

We also need to concentrate on the worst offenders and that means China and India. Without their honest compliance (and please don't make me laugh, they are really fucking abysmal) there's hardly any point in the rest of the developed world doing anything...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:09 pm
Yes we have emitted large amounts of carbon per capita historically, and that's up there now still.

Plus this country prospered from environmentally (and morally) unsustainable practices. It's time to start paying it back.
How? Going bankrupt won't help Bangladesh, Vanuatu, et al.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I don't have a solution, but one will come. Trust me, it WILL come, hopefully after I have gone because it won't be pleasant, even for the survivors.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:13 pm We also need to concentrate on the worst offenders and that means China and India. Without their honest compliance (and please don't make me laugh, they are really fucking abysmal) there's hardly any point in the rest of the developed world doing anything...
You can add the USA to that list of worst offenders. Yes, India and China need to clean up their act, but they are just latecomers to the Industrialisation party - we were doing this shit 200 years ago and pretty much ever since, and we're given a free pass? India and China are trying to raise themeselves to 'first world' levels of living standards, and who can blame them? The West set the template and they're just following.

Basically we're fucked. Whatever we do will not be enough and climate disaster will affect everyone within the next century or two. After that things may slowly improve, but how many of homo sapiens will be around to see that? Not too many, I suspect.

There are way too many of us on this planet. That's the bottom line.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

The planet isn’t in danger; the human species is in little danger of extinction any time soon. Our civilisation may be in danger of disruption or collapse.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:20 pm The planet isn’t in danger; the human species is in little danger of extinction any time soon. Our civilisation may be in danger of disruption or collapse.
The planet will survive, come what may. But the relatively comfortable life we have become accustomed to will be under increasing stress as we head into the latter stages of the 21st century. Basic amenities like access to clean drinkable water will become a battleground as time goes by. I don't believe that humans as a species will become extinct, but they will be drastically reduced in numbers.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:44 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:13 pm We also need to concentrate on the worst offenders and that means China and India. Without their honest compliance (and please don't make me laugh, they are really fucking abysmal) there's hardly any point in the rest of the developed world doing anything...
You can add the USA to that list of worst offenders. Yes, India and China need to clean up their act, but they are just latecomers to the Industrialisation party - we were doing this shit 200 years ago and pretty much ever since, and we're given a free pass? India and China are trying to raise themeselves to 'first world' levels of living standards, and who can blame them? The West set the template and they're just following.

Basically we're fucked. Whatever we do will not be enough and climate disaster will affect everyone within the next century or two. After that things may slowly improve, but how many of homo sapiens will be around to see that? Not too many, I suspect.

There are way too many of us on this planet. That's the bottom line.
Indeed but I am not laying the blame at the feet of the Chinese or the Indians, it is merely the locality of the major polluters. And it's not just the volume of pollution either but the lack of mitigation for the pollution produced in any given process. The UK (I would argue) is creating much more pollution in China than we are here at home. They are not the consumers of that pollution by product from relatively crude production methods: we are.

Again it's not my fault or yours but greedy global businesses and corporation who all KNOW their products are generating massive pollution before being shipped half way round the world> It's greed, profit and turn a blind eye. These are political problems, not technology or consumer based problems. We can't throw technology at the problem, nor can we pass the blame onto the consumer or somehow expect us to solve the issue at this end of the chain.

The problem is with the corporations and businesses who will do anytime to chase profit, drive excess consumerism and increase throughput. The even bigger problem is, they are also the ones who get to decide how to address the problem. Naturally their solution is to simply make us give them more money...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Screwdriver wrote: Again it's not my fault or yours
It’s the “fault” of the human condition.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Potter

Post by Potter »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:30 pm Unfortunately I think Potter may be right. :cry:

Rishi hasnt got time to solve our economic woes, Labour will win a landslide and shake the magic money tree, and everone will be happy with a 25% pay increase. Until inflation hits 35% and they realise that the magic money tree has died from overuse.
The magic money tree is dead.

The BoE has stopped printing money and they know they can't print more, in fact it's exactly the opposite they have to tighten, so the UK can't quantitively ease itself out of this falling position no matter who in is Downing Street.

That's what's different now, they can't use QE anymore to throw as a lifeline.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

If the world is going to allow governments to permit the eradication of the rain forests that are within their borders then we, personally can do nothing.

I really think Pony should dig into his glovebox and start topping people. You know, be pro-active instead of just mouthing off.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

NHS trust sticks it's fingers in it's ears and shouts "lalalala"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66051884
Tristan Reuser, a senior eye surgeon at the main hospital trust in Birmingham, became a whistleblower when he complained about a lack of nursing staff, after he felt he had to use a non-medical colleague to help with an urgent operation.
But instead of addressing the issue, management turned on him, he tells BBC News.
Mr Reuser was investigated, suspended and then sacked and reported to the General Medical Council - which found there was no case to answer.
A subsequent employment tribunal found he had been unfairly dismissed.
A University Hospitals Birmingham official says the trust takes safety concerns raised by staff seriously.

It accepted and apologised for errors made in Mr Reuser's case but said it had acted in the interest of patient welfare.