Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yorick »

slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:12 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:30 pm
, the driver is his missus along for the jollies, he does explain how it's a better experience having her with him whilst touring.
I know that, and yeah that’s great, but why didn’t she go pillion then. And yes, it is a support Jeep/jimmy or whatever.
We've had long holidays with GSXR1000 in camper.
Some days I'll ride the bike.
Some days I'll ride in the camper.

It worked for us. It seems to work for them :)
slowhare

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by slowhare »

i think that’s a bit different Yorick. The RV sounds like a great deal

I think it’s different because marc is making out the ev bike is a capable tourer on its own terms, and that’s a little misleading.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:28 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:14 pm Kind of defeats the object of seeing if riding an EV bike around is possible :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No different to him carrying spare batteries on the bike & charging them at overnight stops.. which apparently didn't occur to him either.
:think:
Yeah, how many 100kg batteries can a 200kg (inc battery) bike carry??
He's gonna need a couple of chonking big saddle bags

slowhare

Post by slowhare »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 pm
Nah, he'd not be needing to order drive belts to be delivered ahead if it were a true support vehicle
I don’t think a snapped drive belt occurred to him. i was surprised it snapped. If you never packed one, you’d have to order one.

Yeah, it would be a lot of kit to carry around on yr own, especially with a pillion, but doable in a true test, which is what i originally thought this adventure was all about. If it really is just a jolly, that’s great! It’s certainly been fun for them & they’ve ticked off some interesting places.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:29 pm
I think it’s different because marc is making out the ev bike is a capable tourer on its own terms, and that’s a little misleading.
I don't see it, what's misleading, he's a bloke having fun, making money and maybe trying to prove a point
slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:40 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 pm
Nah, he'd not be needing to order drive belts to be delivered ahead if it were a true support vehicle
I don’t think a snapped drive belt occurred to him. i was surprised it snapped. If you never packed one, you’d have to order one.

Yeah, it would be a lot of kit to carry around on yr own, especially with a pillion, but doable in a true test, which is what i originally thought this adventure was all about. If it really is just a jolly, that’s great! It’s certainly been fun for them & they’ve ticked off some interesting places.
It didn't occur to him so much that he had a spare on him already.... he didn't carry spares in the Jimny because it's not a support vehicle, same for his tyres, he hasn't fixed his knackered brake discs because the Jimny isn't being used as a support vehicle, any support vehicle would have belts, tyres and brakes as a bare bare minimum.

I don't see it as a test let alone a 'true test', it's a bloke who has done long distance touring already and decided to see if he could do it on an e-bike, he gets to go on a jolly with his missus, have an adventure and make some money off of Youtube
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:36 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:28 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:14 pm Kind of defeats the object of seeing if riding an EV bike around is possible :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No different to him carrying spare batteries on the bike & charging them at overnight stops.. which apparently didn't occur to him either.
:think:

Or a trailer. Aha. I'm onto something here ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 pm But only if she follows a safe distance behind in the car :D
Aside: a mate was taking his bike in for a service. His wife followed to collect him. Then punted him off at a set of lights.

She also crashed one of their cars into the other one. And knocked down 10 metres of their garden wall :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The new JLR battery factory is going to be supplied with Lithium form... Cornwall.

Self sufficient car production, or a blot on the tourist landscape.

It's Southern, so I don't care :)
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:49 pm
I don't see it, what's misleading, he's a bloke having fun, making money and maybe trying to prove a point
Yeah, the point being an electric bike is a comparable tourer, but he’s not doing that, he’s having a jolly, so that’s fine.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:24 pm The new JLR battery factory is going to be supplied with Lithium form... Cornwall.

Cornwall has thousands of mines. The locals won't mind a few more if it brings in a few bob
Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:24 pm The new JLR battery factory is going to be supplied with Lithium form... Cornwall.

They used to mine lead in Cornwall, so it's keeping with technology to mine Lithium now :thumbup:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:00 am Friend has the new Porsche Taycan with the sound generator, yup it makes an engine noise to the outside world lol. Nice car and quick but still does nothing for me. Fake engine note aside it's the same noise as a Nissan leaf. Lease plus electric still works out more expensive than running a diesel and you still have the EV downsides. We see a lot of care dealers whilst installing charge points and most are saying the market for selling to private buyers is dead. Lease companies and low BIK are all that's keeping the market going and as soon as the tax benefits change it'll kill that too. It's still rare to see an EV up here, maybe see 2 or 3 a week.
Im not joking here but what backwater do you live in?

I see more Teslas than that most days in Carlisle, let alone other EVs included.

The last cew weeks Ive been working xlose to home so have only done less than thirty miles a week work driving and Ive seen more EVs than that per day.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:43 pm

Cornwall has thousands of mines. The locals won't mind a few more if it brings in a few bob
Property speculators will love this whilst locals wont! Seasonal holiday lets will now become year rounds rentals to the new work force, assuming this grows as predicted. @Cousin Jack Did they push through the double council tax thing?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

demographic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:09 pm
Couchy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:00 am Friend has the new Porsche Taycan with the sound generator, yup it makes an engine noise to the outside world lol. Nice car and quick but still does nothing for me. Fake engine note aside it's the same noise as a Nissan leaf. Lease plus electric still works out more expensive than running a diesel and you still have the EV downsides. We see a lot of care dealers whilst installing charge points and most are saying the market for selling to private buyers is dead. Lease companies and low BIK are all that's keeping the market going and as soon as the tax benefits change it'll kill that too. It's still rare to see an EV up here, maybe see 2 or 3 a week.

I see more Teslas than that most days in Carlisle, let alone other EVs included.

The last cew weeks Ive been working xlose to home so have only done less than thirty miles a week work driving and Ive seen more EVs than that per day.
If I drive up to the M25 I see plenty of them but a 30 minute drive south and they are pretty rare, there are about 7 EV charging points in town I can think of but it's very rare I see a car using one.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:36 pm :think:

Ah, I was thinking electric bicycle.. I didn't think anyone was optimistic enough to go more than a few miles on the contraption in the pic...

Not sure how long HD have been selling that "LiveWire" E Bike of theirs, but I've only seen 3 or 4 since they were introduced.. & it's entirely possible that I actually saw the same one 3 or 4 times.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:49 pm

If I drive up to the M25 I see plenty of them but a 30 minute drive south and they are pretty rare, there are about 7 EV charging points in town I can think of but it's very rare I see a car using one.

Not many public chargers round here but surely some people have garages and off street parking where you live?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

demographic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:58 pm

Not many public chargers round here but surely some people have garages and off street parking where you live?
Plenty have their own drives and garages but good reasons to buy one are severely lacking, unless you go into London and pay the ICE tax regularly then there are no upsides I can think of.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Mussels wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:10 am
demographic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:58 pm

Plenty have their own drives and garages but good reasons to buy one are severely lacking, unless you go into London and pay the ICE tax regularly then there are no upsides I can think of.
Fair enough, I'm just surprised theres so few when I see so many round Carlisle and Cumbria in general.
Nothing like the majority but a significant number all the same and Cumbria is pretty rural.
It used to be noteworthy when I saw one but nowadays I don't see them as particularly unusual.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They're 10 a penny 'round 'ere.

I paid special attention this morning when I walked to school with Baby D...it's just over 1km/10 mins there and in that time I saw.

Parked on Street, not plugged in
- BMW X3 (pure EV version, can't remember the right name)
- Polestar 3
- 2x Nissan Leaf

Parked on driveway plugged in
- 2x Tesla 3
- VW ID3

Drove Past
- Tesla Model 3
- Tesla Model Y

In The School Drop Off
- Audi e-Tron
- 2x Mercedes EQC

So that's 12 in about 10 mins (and maybe I missed some). TBF though, that's during rush hour and MK scores pretty highly on the "places to own an EV" index.

https://www.motoringelectric.com/news/m ... -charging/
demographic

Post by demographic »

My point about the numbers of EV's I'm seeing is that I live in and amongst a good amount of terraced houses with little in the way of offstreet parking and I'm still seeing a lot.
Then in the wider and more rural Cumbria which likely has more in the way of offstreet parking they're all over the shop.