Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Potter »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:34 am
Meanwhile in Europe VW are reducing EV production because it's cheaper to run a fossil fuels car and people aren't buying them.
I doubt it's got that much to do with 'cheap' and more to do with reluctance because the infrastructure still isn't there.
People buying EVs aren't normally bogged down by looking to buy on the cheap, they're happy to pay good money, but anyone I talk to outside of city life isn't that keen because they don't want to get stuck halfway down the A34 with no charger to use.
Yorick

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:02 pm
Meanwhile in Europe VW are reducing EV production because it's cheaper to run a fossil fuels car and people aren't buying them.
I doubt it's got that much to do with 'cheap' and more to do with reluctance because the infrastructure still isn't there.
People buying EVs aren't normally bogged down by looking to buy on the cheap, they're happy to pay good money, but anyone I talk to outside of city life isn't that keen because they don't want to get stuck halfway down the A34 with no charger to use.
Ha ha. Gotcha.

I don't drive down the A34 so I'll be OK
:banana-dance: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:58 pm I don't drive down the A34 so I'll be OK
:banana-dance: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Is the South of England's version of the Bermuda Triangle :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't need an EV to get stuck galf way down the A34.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:32 pm I don't need an EV to get stuck galf way down the A34.
Only if you want to cause the traffic jam.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I read a similar story a couple of weeks ago with better pictures, there's nothing to debunk. It only affects the Chinese market.

Hang on a sec... You said that CCD posts nothing but bullshit, conspiracies & misinformation (paraphrased)... & now there's a YT video that claims these acres of EV's in China were dumped in fields etc so the manufacturers could claim subsidies etc fr the number of EV's sold.. which apparently isn't true according to this:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/china ... ge-fields/

Which is the exact same report as the one I posted yesterday...& now you say there's nothing to debunk? So do you agree with a report on CCD that debunked the YouTubers video claims...or do you agree with his conspiracy theory? :lol:
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

I’m watching Marc Travels on YT atm. He’s touring on an EV bike although his other half is shadowing him in a loaded jeep just in case. He seems to be doing OK although Turkey has been a bit of a pain with finding chargers and his daily range is limited.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:30 pm I’m watching Marc Travels on YT atm. He’s touring on an EV bike although his other half is shadowing him in a loaded jeep just in case. He seems to be doing OK although Turkey has been a bit of a pain with finding chargers and his daily range is limited.
It didn't occur to him to carry 2 or 3 spare batteries in the Jeep & rig it to charge them?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:47 pm
slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:30 pm I’m watching Marc Travels on YT atm. He’s touring on an EV bike although his other half is shadowing him in a loaded jeep just in case. He seems to be doing OK although Turkey has been a bit of a pain with finding chargers and his daily range is limited.
It didn't occur to him to carry 2 or 3 spare batteries in the Jeep & rig it to charge them?
Kind of defeats the object of seeing if riding an EV bike around is possible :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:14 pm Kind of defeats the object of seeing if riding an EV bike around is possible :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No different to him carrying spare batteries on the bike & charging them at overnight stops.. which apparently didn't occur to him either.
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:47 pm It didn't occur to him to carry 2 or 3 spare batteries in the Jeep & rig it to charge them?
No i don’t think so, and no one’s suggested it to him either. The cost would be prohibitive wouldn’t it? His bike is a belt driven EVE which in fairness seems quite capable but I’d be put off by the lack of charge points, time spent charging & the limited range.
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:14 pm Kind of defeats the object of seeing if riding an EV bike around is possible :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those were exactly my thoughts, but he gets quite upset when it’s mentioned.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:28 pm
No different to him carrying spare batteries on the bike & charging them at overnight stops.. which apparently didn't occur to him either.
Depends - is the point of the trip to see if it's possible without the backup or is it a jolly so extras are fine?

If it's the first, then having a back up vehicle but trying to only use actual charging points makes sense

If it's a jolly and he was gonna rig up what you suggest - might as well go in a car?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

I think he’s going for YT hits but the impression was to make out touring great distances across continents was possible with an electric bike. It might’ve worked but the support jeep kinda spoils it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The result will be that he will know where the good cover is and where the bad cover is. Will be informative for others in future :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:13 pm I think he’s going for YT hits but the impression was to make out touring great distances across continents was possible with an electric bike. It might’ve worked but the support jeep kinda spoils it.
It does I guess. But the Long Way Round guys had a full support team with them all the way (I believe) so TBH, having a back up when riding a vehicle that needs to be charged and not being totally sure just how many charging points are around just makes sense to me.

If the most publicised bikers doing long trips had done it solo (or at least without a support team) I guess I'd have less sympathy!!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:13 pm I think he’s going for YT hits but the impression was to make out touring great distances across continents was possible with an electric bike. It might’ve worked but the support jeep kinda spoils it.
It's not a support Jeep, it's a bloody Jimny, and it's not a support Jimny, the driver is his missus along for the jollies, he does explain how it's a better experience having her with him whilst touring.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

But only if she follows a safe distance behind in the car :D
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:30 pm
, the driver is his missus along for the jollies, he does explain how it's a better experience having her with him whilst touring.
I know that, and yeah that’s great, but why didn’t she go pillion then. And yes, it is a support Jeep/jimmy or whatever.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:12 pm I know that, and yeah that’s great, but why didn’t she go pillion then.
Loss of luggage carrying capability, reduced bike range, loss of roof tent etc etc etc lack of ability for her to continue her business
slowhare wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:12 pm And yes, it is a support Jeep/jimmy or whatever.
Nah, he'd not be needing to order drive belts to be delivered ahead if it were a true support vehicle