In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: In todays news...

Post by demographic »

Kin ell, it's all kicking off in Russia today with Putin apparently taking off on a plane (he usually avoids flying from what I hear) as an armed covoy heads towards Moscow and I can't see anything bad happening from Putin having control of a load of nukes and feeling a bit fragile...

I might not get on brilliantly with all you lot, but it's been nice knowing you :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:08 pm That would fund a decent army.
If reports are true, that the pro-Putin seniors have fled and Wagner is in control, there might be further implications for the use of nuclear weapons - by either Putin or Wagner (I'm not typing Prigozhin, it's too difficult).
Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:08 pm
( and might stop the flow of awful puns).
Couldn't resist, could you? :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Re where Wagner get their money from: They are mercenaries, so they only go where they are paid to go. The people that pay them are corrupt governments with access to most of the wealth of the country, so even 'poor' countries pay them quite a lot. They are/were backed by the Russian government and used Russian bases for training (which is a rather sick joke, they're a Private Military Contractor (PMC) and PMCs are banned by the Russian government. Ho ho). One thing they aren't short of is money.

I guess Putin thought they were getting too powerful and hoped to weaken them by getting them trashed in Ukraine - with a little help from incoming from behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_Group

Of course, America has similar 'plausible deniability' outfits like Blackwater/Academi/Xe Services (more name changes than Windscale/Seascale/Sellafield!) and I assume the UK etc has some too...but they've not been let off the leash quite as much as Wagner.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:40 pm
I guess Putin thought they were getting too powerful and hoped to weaken them by getting them trashed in Ukraine - with a little help from incoming from behind.
Some horrible reports that Wagner were sending out almost untrained troops (ex-convicts etc) as cannon fodder so that the Ukrainians identify their positions for subsequent attacks.

However, if Prigozhin's claims of direct attacks on Wagner by other Russian forces are true, then it's no wonder he's taking action.
(more name changes than Windscale/Seascale/Sellafield!)
There's a housing estate near here that's on its third incarnation and name in about the same timescale! Rebuilt and renamed because of poor reputation. Obviously a very British solution.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:40 pm They are mercenaries, so they only go where they are paid to go. The people that pay them are corrupt governments with access to most of the wealth of the country, so even 'poor' countries pay them quite a lot. They are/were backed by the Russian government and used Russian bases for training (which is a rather sick joke, they're a Private Military Contractor (PMC) and PMCs are banned by the Russian government. Ho ho). One thing they aren't short of is money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_Group

Of course, America has similar 'plausible deniability' outfits like Blackwater/Academi/Xe Services (more name changes than Windscale/Seascale/Sellafield!) and I assume the UK etc has some too...but they've not been let off the leash quite as much as Wagner.
The problen is that they didn't get weaker, yes they took losses, but they developed a cadre of genuine hard nuts more than capable of holding their own against a load of green conscripts. Apparantly they've got a lot of good weaponry the got from somewhere.....

If Putin has done a runner, he's made a real bad mistake, his whole image is one of being a "Manly Man", Zelensky stayed put with the entire Russian military aimed at him, Putin bolts with a few thousand mercenaries heading his way. The Russian people won't like that one little bit. I can't see nukes being used, it's national death if he does and enough people round him know that to ensure he gets one behind the ear before they fly.

The mad fuckers in Belarus are the worrying factor, seeing as Vlad has just recently sent a few tactical nukes their way.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

From Cold War Germany "A tactical Nuke is one that lands in Germany".

I can't see Wagner reaching Moscow in any significant numbers but it will tie up a lot of Russian regular units and airforce in containing and eliminating them. This may give the Ukrainians the break they need to punch through Russian lines.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Also I prefer the RAF term for nukes (when they had them), which is "Buckets of Sunshine".
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:55 pm
If Putin has done a runner, he's made a real bad mistake, his whole image is one of being a "Manly Man"
LOL. He's been photographed in leather pants with his shirt off more times than Bananaboy. If he's straight, I'm a leather waistcoat. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I noticed that Prigozhin looked to be wearing uk military multi terrain pattern cammo strides, must have bought it off Ebay eh?
On a side note, it's got harder to buy military surplus boots in notmal sizes recently, I guess theyre vetting sent to Ukraine? If ger size 6 then fine but not so much in the more common sizes.
Last edited by demographic on Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:42 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:55 pm
If Putin has done a runner, he's made a real bad mistake, his whole image is one of being a "Manly Man"
LOL. He's been photographed in leather pants with his shirt off more times than Bananaboy. If he's straight, I'm a leather waistcoat. :lol:
Feck dude, that sounds like every summer trackday I've ever been to!
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

demographic wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:20 pm I noticed that Prigozhin looked to be wearing uk military multi terrain pattern cammo strides, must have bought it off Ebay eh?
I think he's using a Motorola DP4800.

When I worked for the marketing department at Motorola Comms we loved it when the drugs lords and warlords, to whom money was no object, were seen using Motorola kit! :o
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Putin may be a devious and skilful tactician in the political arena but he has largely held on to power by eliminating perhaps one too many multibillionaires. The one's who are left must be wondering who's next or when they can get their yachts back. Pissing off one of this planets most experienced and well armed warlords was probably not his best move.

If I was a multibillionaire I know who I'd be putting my money on. It's a win-win. If you've been sucking up to Putin and you get a slice of Ukraine, great. Quietly bung a few quid at Prigozhin and if he wins, you're still good to go, plus you're a lot less likely to fall out of a window.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

This is the clap trap they're displaying at Glastonbury....from an anti-semitic organisation which wants to charge you £340 to enter their border and £60 parking + £10 for a drink!

Ok then swampies, I'm coming in without a ticket! :)

So, the Corbyn lovers wanted to air a video on how the Jewish took Corbyn down from within the Labour party, it was banned for being anti-semitic, but they showed it anyway

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... astonbury/
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Corbin was a twat, a twat who favoured the Palistinian side. Anyone who dares to support the Palistinians gets shouted down as being 'anti-semitic'. By that definition I am anti-semitic too
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:15 am Corbin was a twat, a twat who favoured the Palistinian side. Anyone who dares to support the Palistinians gets shouted down as being 'anti-semitic'. By that definition I am anti-semitic too
He and his friends had (and have) difficulty limiting it to favouring the Palestinian side.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The state of Israel (and Zionist Jews) have cleverly re-engineered the status quo such that any legitimate criticism of Israel or the Zionist movement is now automatically classified as anti-semitic.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Exactly. If you have an issue with the politics of modern Israel apparently that makes you an anti Semite, that's bollocks.

Let them show the dratted film on prime time TV, then everyone can make their own minds up. I would hazard that the conclusion would be (1) Corbyn's not an anti Semite (2) he and his supporters are tits.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Glastonbury is just full of middle class "Gap Yah" types who think they're being cool by splashing hundreds of quid to watch multi millionaire musicians play the same stuff they've played forever. It's as far from edgy as it's possible to get.

I'd rather watch BabyJawa, and his band play in a pub somewhere.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:00 am any legitimate criticism of Israel…. …is now automatically classified as anti-semitic.
I think that does happen, but nevertheless, I think:
He and his friends had (and have) difficulty limiting it to favouring the Palestinian side
and criticism of Israeli state actions.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:30 am Glastonbury is just full of middle class "Gap Yah" types

I'd rather watch BabyJawa, and his band play in a pub somewhere.
Foal is working there again. Although he might fit into the 'type' description, he'll almost certainly not be watching any 'names' on any big stage (we had that conversation a few days ago). There are plenty of smaller areas he intends to go to.