In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Noggin

Re: In todays news...

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:08 pm I'm afraid I can't get too worked up about it tbh. These people paid a lot of money to visit a mass grave basically and I can't understand why they'd want to do that. Were you as upset about the submariners on the Kursk, or people who pay a lot of money to climb Everest, walk past the bodies of other adventures and maybe die themselves?
I can feel both (I especially despair at the Tourists on Everest)

But I suppose most of my feelings are for the kid. He went because his Dad did (probably). Did he have the emotional maturity to consider the grave site? Did he really want to go? But then, the Dad is now (was) in a position of knowing that because he made it happen, his son won't go home.

I can't say I'm worked up, but I am really sad about a lot to do with the situation, incredulous that anyone would get in something like that without confirming the back up for a problem and also a little shocked that people will pay that much money to basically 'rubberneck' a mass grave

This story doesn't bring out one emotion for me :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

So you're not bothered a Dad will probably watch his son die or vice versa. That's a dreadful thing for any family to go through, especially the remaining family knowing that. Its a dreadful thing that any of them should have to see another human die in front of them. So yes I have sympathy.

Whether its ghoulish or not to go down and see a ship where over 1500 souls lie is another matter, but then its been romanticised by Hollywood etc, so its always going to have an attraction.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but it happens every day, all the time. As Iccy (quite correctly) is so fond of reminding us, 100s of children will die today because they don't have enough to eat. I'm don't have it in me to get too worked up about some adventurers who foolishly put themselves in harms way on purpose.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I guess it answers their question of "i wonder what it was like to die in this way"... maybe not the best way of answering it, but their must be an Alanis Morisette song lyric in there somewhere ?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:17 pm So you're not bothered a Dad will probably watch his son die or vice versa. That's a dreadful thing for any family to go through, especially the remaining family knowing that. Its a dreadful thing that any of them should have to see another human die in front of them. So yes I have sympathy.
Do you think that the Dad was concerned about that as he passed the pen to his son to sign the bits of paper?

Yes, I agree with you that it's a dreadful thing to see another person die in front of them. My wife literally died in my arms, took her last breath as I held her. There were quite a few looking on as well but we didn't put her in that position, pancreatic cancer did.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:17 pm So you're not bothered a Dad will probably watch his son die or vice versa. That's a dreadful thing for any family to go through, especially the remaining family knowing that. Its a dreadful thing that any of them should have to see another human die in front of them. So yes I have sympathy.
Do you think that the Dad was concerned about that as he passed the pen to his son to sign the bits of paper?

Yes, I agree with you that it's a dreadful thing to see another person die in front of them. My wife literally died in my arms, took her last breath as I held her. There were quite a few looking on as well but we didn't put her in that position, pancreatic cancer did.
No. I expect he thought he giving his son a unique experience and view of the world's most famous maritime disaster that few other people would ever see. A lot of wealthy people got to be that way by taking risks all their lives. I doubt a disaster ever occurred to him, even for a second...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 pm
I was just thinking about it from the perspective of a dad who has encouraged his kids to be adventurous and take the odd risk, I'd be beyond words if anything I'd encouraged them to do ended up like this.

In the grand scheme of things it's just another death, but we're blessed with empathy and this one made me think.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:16 pm also a little shocked that people will pay that much money to basically 'rubberneck' a mass grave
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:17 pm
Whether its ghoulish or not to go down and see a ship where over 1500 souls lie is another matter,
No different to going and looking at any war grave sites or concentration camps in Europe, go and look, pay your respects, have a moment of thought and contemplation, that this costs more than a return ticket on a ferry and carries a load more risk doesn't make it wrong or distasteful.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Anyway...

Little—less—nothing!—and that ended it.
No more to build on there. And they, since they
Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs.

The BoE have hit 5%, that's going to sting in the morning.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:16 pm Anyway...

Yep, when my mortgage goes to a tracker, that'll cost me a few hundred more a month. So I can leave things as they are by not doing over payments for the time being.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:17 pm

Whether its ghoulish or not to go down and see a ship where over 1500 souls lie is another matter, but then its been romanticised by Hollywood etc, so its always going to have an attraction.
I've been here and wasn't ghoulish. Very peaceful actually.
UID_85_USS_Arizona_Memorial.jpg
UID_85_USS_Arizona_Memorial.jpg (163.9 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

At least 30 migrants feared dead in Canary Islands disaster

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-65983001

Still not known how many perished on the Greek fishing boat a few days ago with, reportedly, 100 children in the hold . . .
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:16 pm
Good news for us :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:35 pm At least 30 migrants feared dead in Canary Islands disaster

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-65983001

There's deaths most weeks. Desperate to get away from Africa.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

As you have appointed yourself as my resident TRC mortgage advisor, can you advise as to why all these rates are rising soo much?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Greenman wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:38 pm

As you have appointed yourself as my resident TRC mortgage advisor, can you advise as to why all these rates are rising soo much?
I'm not an expert, but I understand that banks now have to pay more to borrow the money that they lend out.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Greenman wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:38 pm can you advise as to why all these rates are rising soo much?
It's to make you poorer, to help you.

No really, it is :D Not even joking.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Turkish Central bank (with a new boss) has just raised interest rates to 15% from 8.5%.

£1 now at 31.25 and climbing (it was £1 = 30.07 this morning).

Be interesting to see how long Recep keeps Hafize Gaye Erkan in the job.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:48 pm
Greenman wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:38 pm can you advise as to why all these rates are rising soo much?
It's to make you poorer, to help you.

No really, it is :D Not even joking.
The idea is that because you have less spare cash you'll spend less, demand for stuff goes down, so retailers put the price down so that you'll buy what they're selling, it really is pathetically simplistic.
Honda Owner
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Wow. That is a verse!

Had to Google it but I am glad I did. https://poets.org/poem/out-out
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato