Re: In todays news...

Post by cheb »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:57 pm
Greenman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:07 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:49 am
He got paid a wage for doing a job, he didn't do it properly and now people are dead.
Sorry got a bit lost on this thread, are we talking about Boris again?

Maybe those at the top should set an example to those lower down the line then maybe people would be more inclined to do their jobs correctly and not look for scape goats like they see their leaders doing when they fuck up, which is a lot!
That's your point is it? The train driver killed those people because there is so much unfairness in the world, he wasn't born rich like Boris, he didn't get to go to Eton, his daddy wasn't rich and it's all so unfair, and whilst he was half asleep and blaming his own shit life on other people, he killed seven of them.

And maybe it's circular, maybe Boris looked out of his ivory tower window at the absolute shit show of morons out there that moan about everything and never take any responsibility for themselves, and he thought "why should I give a shit when they clearly don't, let's have a party".

Maybe none of us should care.
As straw men go, that's quite a doozy...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:15 pm
It was actually a parody of GMs political angst post where he thought that the train driver shouldn't really need to give a shit about doing his job badly and killing people, because Boris wasn't very good either.

No straw man, you'd have to be an actual moron to think that comes close to an actual argument that isn't stupid.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

You do an excellent line in mental gymnastics, as well.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Best kind of gymnastics, means you don't have to get up :thumbsup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:22 pm You do an excellent line in mental gymnastics, as well.
You don't, but that's ok, we all have to accept our station in life.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Q? If a driver had had a stroke and the tram had crashed (which seems a perfectly possible event from what I read in the report) would it still have been just the driver's fault? If it happened/was possible on a Eurostar or an InterCity train there might be a few questions about the safety systems. If it happened/was possible on a fully loaded A380 there'd be a few too. Why should a tram system be so much more inherently unsafe? Simply because, well, y'now, it's just a bus really? Low value cargo? etc etc.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It is a valid question, which is why I'm 50/50 on it...why is it so critical the driver is awake and paying attention? Sounds liek a daft thing to be asking, but I'm sure it's getting asked now. When you think about it, cars/buses are actually pretty sketchy! Almost everything else where you have so many people in the hands of one person has more safeguards.

'course, since for the meantime "we" have deemed that it's the way to operate these trams, the driver has to bear some responsibility. Certainly he shouldn't get off scott free IMO, I don't actually know if he has? I know he's not guilty of manslaughter, but does he still drive trams? I dunno!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:20 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:15 pm
It was actually a parody of GMs political angst post where he thought that the train driver shouldn't really need to give a shit about doing his job badly and killing people, because Boris wasn't very good either.

No straw man, you'd have to be an actual moron to think that comes close to an actual argument that isn't stupid.
That's what I like about reading Greenies posts, it reminds me of when I were in my 20s, where it was everyone elses fault, someone elses fault. Bless him, the young whipper snapper.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Trump just did an interview with a guy on Fox. He still doesn't get when he needs to STFU & his handlers must have been tearing their hair out.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:06 pm Q? If a driver had had a stroke and the tram had crashed (which seems a perfectly possible event from what I read in the report) would it still have been just the driver's fault? If it happened/was possible on a Eurostar or an InterCity train there might be a few questions about the safety systems. If it happened/was possible on a fully loaded A380 there'd be a few too. Why should a tram system be so much more inherently unsafe? Simply because, well, y'now, it's just a bus really? Low value cargo? etc etc.
Consider the Glasgow bin lorry crash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Glas ... orry_crash

A poor show all round. Lots of the UK equivalent to thoughts and prayers.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I wonder what's triggered angry, ranty Potter today? I think that even 'loadsamoney' Potter is preferable...
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:25 pm I wonder what's triggered angry, ranty Potter today? I think that even 'loadsamoney' Potter is preferable...
I think a lot of people in life are richer and more successful than you, can you go and hound one of the other ones to start a childish online squabble, I’m in my pool and I have to keep drying my hands to respond.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:56 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:25 pm I wonder what's triggered angry, ranty Potter today? I think that even 'loadsamoney' Potter is preferable...
I think a lot of people in life are richer and more successful than you, can you go and hound one of the other ones to start a childish online squabble, I’m in my pool and I have to keep drying my hands to respond.
Of course they are, but what's that got to do with your antsy mood?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:56 pm
I'm in my pool as well. The butler types my replies :)
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:57 pm
Greenman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:07 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:49 am
He got paid a wage for doing a job, he didn't do it properly and now people are dead.
Sorry got a bit lost on this thread, are we talking about Boris again?

Maybe those at the top should set an example to those lower down the line then maybe people would be more inclined to do their jobs correctly and not look for scape goats like they see their leaders doing when they fuck up, which is a lot!
That's your point is it? The train driver killed those people because there is so much unfairness in the world, he wasn't born rich like Boris, he didn't get to go to Eton, his daddy wasn't rich and it's all so unfair, and whilst he was half asleep and blaming his own shit life on other people, he killed seven of them.

And maybe it's circular, maybe Boris looked out of his ivory tower window at the absolute shit show of morons out there that moan about everything and never take any responsibility for themselves, and he thought "why should I give a shit when they clearly don't, let's have a party".

Maybe none of us should care.
No-one actually cares anymore that's my point.

If the people at the top want to so clearly and openly break the rules then who would want to care. If all the corruption is so clearly pushed in our face why would we care. If the rich don't care about the amount of people struggling to pay their bills, buy food and make a good life for themselves as they are so oppressed day by day why would you care? Fuck em!

Why do a good job only for some big corp to come and eat it up just at the point when you are getting successful!

Why would you care about a world controlled by 1% of the population that could change the world and make it such a better place to live for everyone but refuse to make any changes, why care if you can't make a difference?

Why care about a world that doesn't care about you?

No matter who you are you are influenced by power and money, it rules your life no matter how much you protest that it doesn't, when the divide get's even further apart from the 2 poles of those who have and those who have not then things will only become more divided.

If you want to make sure people do things correctly and have pride and passion in their life/jobs etc you need to give them something to live for, something to give them hope to give them pride in themselves. All we are teaching now is money money money, fuck over him and her, go stab up them it's the only way to make a way in life, so things will never get better.

It's that simple.
Last edited by Greenman on Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

The old tram driving game, hardest game in the world, I done it 20 years, man and boy.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:06 pm Q? If a driver had had a stroke and the tram had crashed (which seems a perfectly possible event from what I read in the report) would it still have been just the driver's fault? If it happened/was possible on a Eurostar or an InterCity train there might be a few questions about the safety systems. If it happened/was possible on a fully loaded A380 there'd be a few too. Why should a tram system be so much more inherently unsafe? Simply because, well, y'now, it's just a bus really? Low value cargo? etc etc.
The only control the driver has to operate is the dead mans handle.

It's a spring loaded joystick with stop, go and cruise. If it's not pressed down, the tram stops.

Pretty sure it will literally have been tested so that if the driver drops dead on top of the handle, it cannot remain depressed.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It wasn't a sighting lap and the bend was quite well known about, even notorious. He only had 4 hours sleep the night before apparently? The report didn't exonerate him for me.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

This sub which lost all comminication. Is it not conceivable that they brought it back to the surface and are bobbing around somewhere, or does it have a surface beacon thingy?