GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Post by Supermofo »

Binned the weekend in the end. Rescheduled for 2 July.

In the end Sunday didn't seem to bad with no rain here till later, Tuesday looks shite though and reckon I'd have been riding the whole 150 miles in the rain, so no point if I don't have to as I'd like to enjoy all of the trip if possible.

Bought a 36mm impact socket from Halfords for the axle nut as I didn't have one.

Really need to clean/lube the chain see if I can work up the enthusiasm this afternoon!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Good decision. Sounds like Tuesday would have been a nightmare!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Think I'm going ahead with my few days away. Sunday is looking good so the ride down to Yeovil should be nice and dry. Wanna catch up with my uncle so likely to do the M3 for speed but then use the A30 from there as looks a nicer road albeit slower than the A303. We'll see.

Monday is looking mainly dry with a chance of an odd shower (please weather gods). Current plan is Yeovil down to Lyme Regis and then follow the coast to West Bay first and then Weymouth. Then either to loop up to Shaftsbury or head back along the coast.

Tuesday is looking like I'll likely get wet at somepoint but I'm getting bored of not going and potentially I can change routes depending on the weather so just gonna lump it.

Wanted to wear my leather jacket as that's my preferred riding kit but I'll need to take a Helly Hanson over jacket if I do for rain, my last bike over jacket died and I've not replaced it. Or I can go with the convenience of my textile , not that I've tried that in the rain yet but most Oxford Mondial owners say they are WP although some aren't! We'll see as undecided.

Out today at a gaming festival at Chatham dockyard for the kids so all I have to do is throw a few things in the top box and charge my headset and I'll be ready.

I cleaned and lubed the chain Thursday, went with the last of the Castrol as know how that lasts but run out before I could do the inner plates. So tried the new XCP, it's really wet/oily so after I sprayed I gave it a light wipe with a rag as its only the side plates and the part nearest the tyre.

Anyway fingers crossed as looking forward to getting away for a few days on the bike.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Ain't the A30 in Cornwall. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:51 pm Ain't the A30 in Cornwall. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Dunno, very possibly. But I'm picking it up near the M3 and following it through Salisbury and Shaftesbury.

Tuesday is looking proper mucky so reckon I may adjust my route home where the rain is less forecast
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:51 pm Ain't the A30 in Cornwall. 🤷🏻‍♂️
My experience of the A30 in Cornwall is of car drivers tootling along at about 40mph, it's not an experience I'd repeat, the Devon bit of the A30 isn't much better.
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Good ride down yesterday. Had to stop early as the new chain lube was being flingier than I'd like and prior to joining the M25 there was a few flings of oil on the tyre, so I stopped and used the rag I bought just in case to wipe the tyre and then the outer run of the chain to sort it. Stopped again as I left the M3 and all good.

Motorway section was as dull as to be expected but the screen made a very welcome difference. Given the amount of speed cameras I stuck to 70 and at that speed the screen was ace.

The A30 was pretty decent after the first few miles. Stopped for a coffee, wee and a stretch at a cafe just short of Salisbury where there were a few other bikes.

Past Salisbury the road got better with great views and not too much traffic and that which was there was fairly easily overtaken. Do like a hill drawing these South Western folk don't they!

Plan for today is to head down the coast and pray the rain stays away. Late morning/early afternoon looks like there could be a few showers. Just waiting for my uncle to get back from walking the dogs but think he said about grabbing some breakfast so might be leaving later than I'd planned, but sod it I'm on holiday :D
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

So, Monday dawned dry but distinctly iffy looking with great black clouds scudding about and the weather map looking like there was rain afoot at some stage or other. Still I was there and I was going. I headed off towards the coast from Yeovil down to Lyme via Crewkerne. Roads were good with some stunning views, to be fair the roads aren't any better than Essex/Suffolk but the elevation definitely adds to the view! The last stage of the ride into Lyme the Sat Nav took me down a goat track style road which after a few hundred meters was filled by either a prefab style house or container of some sort on the back of a lorry, luckily heading the same way as me else it'd have been very interesting! I followed this at a distance in first gear as he was taking out some whacking great branches out of the roadside trees. About a mile further on he pulled in to let me pass which I gladly did and entered Lyme itself just as the first spots of rain arrived :thumbdown: I went through Lyme and was going to park when I noticed that the coast road was currently neither wet or under rain clouds so decided to do that whilst it was dry rather than stop :thumbup:

The first section was pretty good towards West Bay and the rain clouds went north so by the time I arrived there I was in bright sunshine so decided to stop for walk about and a pee. There were a few bikes about include a couple of lads from Taunton doing the same as me. Sadly looks like the Helmet City there is now closed, I was going to have a look at some gloves. Oh well, suitably emptied/watered I decided to carry on to Weymouth.

This was where things got really good. The sun was shining, there was very little traffic and the views were frankly incredible. The road is a 50 limit presumably cos of bikes looking at the number of 'Bikers, don't be a dick' type signs but to be honest without knowing where I was going, guessing there might be speed traps, a very strong wind and more importantly the VIEWS I was happy mooching about with half an eye on what there was to see. As mentioned the wind was really strong and at some points it was blowing the bike about but nothing too bad so it was near perfect. This was about half way to Weymouth.

I dropped into Weymouth parked up and went to the Harbour for a coffee and a chill. Bugger me it was windy! Got sand in my eye locking my bike and the beach was about 500m away, I nearly lost the froth off me cappuccino :lol:

Before leaving there were some ominous looking clouds gathering and I had a decision to make. Head back the way I'd come or go north towards Sherborne. Given I'd done the coast and it was likely to rain either way I decided to go north for somewhere new. Stupidly I didn't put my waterproof boil in the bag trousers on before leaving so about 4 mins into the ride I had to stop to do so :roll: About 5 mins later it then stopped without me really being wet! But I'll take that :thumbup: I decided to go and have a look at the massive bell end on route, very impressive.

Before the final leg to Sherborne, back onto the A30 to Yeovil. About 90 miles and decided to stop for fuel to save doing it the following morning. On the way down the ride was 155 miles and the range reckoned I had 40 miles remaining which was impressive, not sure how accurate that is but typically it's been decent, so I knew if I filled with fuel Monday I'd not need fuel on the way home.

Tuesday's forecast wasn't good with lots of rain about and all heading my way but mid morning looked best. I went out for breakfast with my uncle for a last chat, it's been great catching up with him, poor sod lost my aunt last year and he's on his own a fair amount so was nice to catch up and talk about all sorts.

Back at his I packed the last of my kit and decided waterproofs were the order of the day! Other than a stop 5 miles in to sort an earplug that hadn't settled well I did the trip home in 1 go. The A30 was great again being interesting enough whilst allowing quicker progress than the average B road. The rain held off till Shaftsbury and lasted till the other side of Salisbury when I got a break till a brief heavy downpour near Heathrow. My Oxford Mondial seemed to be waterproof, as were my gloves and boots (both Goretex) but the Richa over trousers suffered the damp crutch of 'need a new pair'. I didn't notice till I was home though at least. Bit disappointing considering I've only worn them twice including yesterday but they are about 4 years old and cheap.

The bike was great considering I'd done 3hrs/155 miles straight. To be honest I should of stopped before I joined the M3 as my arse was really uncomfy by that point but what with the rain threatening I just wanted to get back so I did a bit hanging off a cheek each side alternately up the motorway and it was the right decision as it was mostly dry other than Heathrow whereas later it was like a monsoon for hours. When I got back the bike still reckoned I had over 40 miles of fuel so on longer trips at lower revs/midrange it's bloody good on petrol for a 148bhp. Even with a top box and the massive OE plate holder it's still a messy bike in the wet. The rear seat is covered in brown spray as is the swingarm etc but not any on my back so at least the top box (I'm guessing) protected against that. Only other niggle was my right pinky was tingling with vibes for a while but that was more me not stopping as it'd been fine on other journeys.

All in a great 3 days away, some good scenery and great company. Only downer was when putting my sat nav on for the ride home the mount which has always been stiff made a crack sound but slid home. When I got back the mount where the sat nav slides onto has cracked :angry-cussingblack: Having a quick look online looks like you have to buy the whole mount at 50 quid, joy.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/235194

Looks like there are some refurbished ones on ebay for £5 but seems cheap and not sure how good they are. I'll investigate but might just buy a new one.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Great write up and good on you for looking after your Uncle! Re: satnav mount, i'd not risk a cheapy unless i could have lanyard on the satnav for security?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:34 am Re: satnav mount, i'd not risk a cheapy unless i could have lanyard on the satnav for security?
This is the bit you get with the referb ones...I think. But mine cracked where that silver ring is. From reviews on SBS that part goes brittle over time and breaks. So I'm thinking get a new one as presumably I'll then be covered for a little while. Mines lasted on the bike for about 4-5 years so sounds like it's normal unfortunately
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yesterday morning I decided to go to Heybridge for a coffee and then try the road around Abberton reservoir on the recommendation of my mate. OMG why haven't I done this road before!!!! Feel like such a numpty that I've been riding to Maldon/Heybridge for about 15 years and not done this road which is only around the corner :angry-cussingblack: Cracking bends, lots of which are S bends which I love, fast sweepers down to 2nd gear tight jobs. Was being fairly cautious as I didn't know the road but definitely will be doing it again.

Fitted the new Sat Nav mount Saturday afternoon and whilst a bit peeved to have had to pay £50 for new one when only a small part cracked, I was pleasantly surprised how much better the sat nav fits onto the mount. My old one was always really stiff and required a bit of force/wiggle to get it to click on or off. Which I'm fairly certain was what caused it to crack after a few years. This new one slides on perfectly with no force and a nice 'click'. So at least I have an improvement for my 50 quid.

Bike wise it's still rain dirty which I'm glad for as meant I went yesterday despite a forecast with potential for showers. Whilst the weather is staying pony I'm not gonna wash it as want to ride and will keep missing opportunities if it's mint.

Talking of the bike, still very much in love with it. On the ride there I was in a chill mood and that engine is great for mooching along when you aren't too bothered whilst also making decent progress. Then when I got to the Abberton road it was all 2nd/3rd gear revs and aggro :twisted: Felt really dialled in on the way home back via the A1060 which is a great road if not too busy. It's pretty much the perfect bike for me. I was a little uncomfy by the time I got home but I'd be riding for over 3hrs with a quick 20 min break.

It's also sodding good on fuel. I filled up Sunday morning and hadn't used it since my Yeovil trip. Total miles when I filled up was 163 and it only took 12.65 litres which I've worked out as 58mpg which is a bit mental for a litre IL4 with 148bhp. A lot of that was cos of the rain and motorway/A road but still bloody good considering I used to get about 44 out of my R6 most of the time and about 39/40 out of the Firestorm.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:24 am Yesterday morning I decided to go to Heybridge for a coffee and then try the road around Abberton reservoir on the recommendation of my mate. OMG why haven't I done this road before!!!! Feel like such a numpty that I've been riding to Maldon/Heybridge for about 15 years and not done this road which is only around the corner :angry-cussingblack: Cracking bends, lots of which are S bends which I love, fast sweepers down to 2nd gear tight jobs. Was being fairly cautious as I didn't know the road but definitely will be doing it again.
Probably rode past my house if you were hooning around the reservoir. :thumbup:

Just be careful as plod like to hang out by the visitor centre - local yoof like to use the open stretch of road across the water for burn-outs and handbrake turns. Also road in to our village (Layer-de-la-Haye) is policed by vigilantes in their hi-viz and hairdryers, reporting speeders to plod.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:39 am
Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:24 am Yesterday morning I decided to go to Heybridge for a coffee and then try the road around Abberton reservoir on the recommendation of my mate. OMG why haven't I done this road before!!!! Feel like such a numpty that I've been riding to Maldon/Heybridge for about 15 years and not done this road which is only around the corner :angry-cussingblack: Cracking bends, lots of which are S bends which I love, fast sweepers down to 2nd gear tight jobs. Was being fairly cautious as I didn't know the road but definitely will be doing it again.
Probably rode past my house if you were hooning around the reservoir. :thumbup:

Just be careful as plod like to hang out by the visitor centre - local yoof like to use the open stretch of road across the water for burn-outs and handbrake turns. Also road in to our village (Layer-de-la-Haye) is policed by vigilantes in their hi-viz and hairdryers, reporting speeders to plod.
Yeah defo went through Layer de la Haye, there are some great village names that way (Tolleshunt D'Arcy!!). I don't think I went the main way over the reservoir as my sat nav was trying to route me up to Tiptree to avoid the same roads, but I decided I wanted to do the same road back in the end so went through Layer Breton I think which had a road with loads of geese on it! I'm generally pretty anal about speed in villages so hopefully will be ok.

Nice area that :obscene-drinkingcheers:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

2 roads across the reservoir, guessing you used Layer Breton Hill then? The other road (B1026) takes you past the visitor centre for the nature reserve - nice place to stop for a coffee.
No, I don't live in the nursing home! Google seems to highlight the place :lol:
Screenshot 2023-07-17 113921.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-17 113921.jpg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:44 am 2 roads across the reservoir, guessing you used Layer Breton Hill then? The other road (B1026) takes you past the visitor centre for the nature reserve - nice place to stop for a coffee.
No, I don't live in the nursing home! Google seems to highlight the place :lol:

Screenshot 2023-07-17 113921.jpg
Yeah that's the road I used (Layer Breton Hill) looking on google street view, there were people feeding the geese who'd decided to wonder about the carrageway :lol:

Will try the other road next time for a coffee stop rather than the usual Tiptree Tearoom at Heybridge. I also had a butchers at Tollesbury Marina to see what was there whilst I was that way. Noticed a few bikes outside a Café but didn't stop except at the public loo's further up which were handy.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Guess you've done it already but Mersea Island is nice, fresh seafood lunch on the waterside is good. Heybridge Basin too makes for a nice stop.....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:16 pm Guess you've done it already but Mersea Island is nice, fresh seafood lunch on the waterside is good. Heybridge Basin too makes for a nice stop.....
Yup, Mersea Island is lovely, i'm there at least once a month in my campervan. Brightlingsea is nice too.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:16 pm Guess you've done it already but Mersea Island is nice, fresh seafood lunch on the waterside is good. Heybridge Basin too makes for a nice stop.....
No was always worried about getting trapped by the tide or having my bike sprayed with salt water. Although I asked my mate who's been loads and he said he never worries about it and never actually seen the road blocked by the tide.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:35 pm
No was always worried about getting trapped by the tide or having my bike sprayed with salt water. Although I asked my mate who's been loads and he said he never worries about it and never actually seen the road blocked by the tide.
Yeah, water rarely comes across the Strood (what the bridge bit is called!) - only on exceptionally high tides a few times a year. Don't let that put you off.....
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:40 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:35 pm
Yeah, water rarely comes across the Strood (what the bridge bit is called!) - only on exceptionally high tides a few times a year. Don't let that put you off.....
Okey dokey I'll give it a go. Heard it's nice and always good to go somewhere you don't know.