In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

Ant wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:44 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm Oops....

https://climatechangedispatch.com/scien ... ervations/
Over here, the MET Office have also been caught red handed altering historic data to meet a political agenda.....
This is what you said and it is simply not true.

You are one of a few who is happy to speak their mind and whose let's say "right wing" tendencies as portrayed by the left wing media, I don 't often disagree with (in principle). So I'd just like to make sure you're not picking up the wrong end of the stick here. I know the "incident" you refer to which was a nasty bit of disinformation at the time....
Last edited by Screwdriver on Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:01 pm
Ant wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:44 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm Oops....

https://climatechangedispatch.com/scien ... ervations/
Over here, the MET Office have also been caught red handed altering historic data to meet a political agenda.....
This is what you said and it is simply not true.
You say that with absolute conviction. Can you be sure? It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is true, as a lot of people are in it when there's money to be made.

Give us more money and the world won't end. We've heard it all before.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

see my edit
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:04 pm see my edit
Which incident do you refer to?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Ant wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:03 am And we thought the Met was bad......even the top of the Pleece watchdog was at it...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 58787.html

Mmmm, was he the top of the 'Pleece watchdog' back in October 1985 and March 1986?

Now don't get me wrong; if he's guilty of these offences I'll be wondering how he got through any vetting procedures there may have been when he got his top job but if the allegations only came to light in the last few months you'd probably have to say 'the top of the Pleece watchdog' wasn't necessarily at it at all.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:13 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:03 am And we thought the Met was bad......even the top of the Pleece watchdog was at it...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 58787.html

Mmmm, was he the top of the 'Pleece watchdog' back in October 1985 and March 1986?

Now don't get me wrong; if he's guilty of these offences I'll be wondering how he got through any vetting procedures there may have been when he got his top job but if the allegations only came to light in the last few months you'd probably have to say 'the top of the Pleece watchdog' wasn't necessarily at it at all.
Well at least you didn't confuse it with the weather.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:40 am Playing China at it's own game, it might not be a bad thing.
erm...*Pacific* ... *India*....
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Greenman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:22 am I thought the USA was £31t in debt? Where does the money come from for such ideas?
That's the figure they talk about... Thanks to creative accounting they ignore all sorts of future obligations, the real number is said to be around $180Trillion.... & people claim a mere $31T is unsustainable... scared yet?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:45 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:22 am I thought the USA was £31t in debt? Where does the money come from for such ideas?
That's the figure they talk about... Thanks to creative accounting they ignore all sorts of future obligations, the real number is said to be around $180Trillion.... & people claim a mere $31T is unsustainable... scared yet?
When the USD is no longer most of the world's reserve currency, it's time to be scared. As long as the rest of the world is effectively bankrolling the USD it's not really a problem.

However, if and when the USD does lose top dog status, things will get very interesting very quickly.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:26 pm When the USD is no longer most of the world's reserve currency, it's time to be scared. As long as the rest of the world is effectively bankrolling the USD it's not really a problem.

However, if and when the USD does lose top dog status, things will get very interesting very quickly.
Probably on the horizon.. Biden will get into it with China, China will dump the US bonds they hold & it's game on.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Ant wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:05 pm Which incident do you refer to?
No no. After you. I insist.

You said:
Ant wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:44 pm Over here, the MET Office have also been caught red handed altering historic data to meet a political agenda.....
And I am saying that is absolutely not true.

There are very few places where you can rely on the news. Well respected scientific establishments is perhaps the last bastion of truth. Yes I appreciate their results, papers, publications etc. are commonly bastardised by the mainstream media but this is one place where you can easily find the source for information. They publish data regarding those observations and peer reviewed documentation so that you can see why the author has come to whatever conclusions they may suggest.
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

After me what? You said incident? I didn't.

Yes, I know, you're a part of that 'lets pay our green taxes and it'll all be fluffy bunnies.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I was in there this evening, they should have made it more obvious who they want as customers.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Slow news day for The Mail eh?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I was in one of the Sheffield branches this morning and don't recall being surrounded by heaving masses of either LGBTQ+ supporters or anti-woke protestors. All a bit of an anti-climax, really.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:31 pm You said:
Ant wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:44 pm Over here, the MET Office have also been caught red handed altering historic data to meet a political agenda.....
Ant wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:42 pm Yes, I know, you're a part of that 'lets pay our green taxes and it'll all be fluffy bunnies.
That is not true either.

You're on a roll. Maybe you should be a journalist. Just make stuff up, refuse to qualify your opinion and when challenged, try to change the subject.

Kinda boring though.
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:10 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:42 pm Yes, I know, you're a part of that 'lets pay our green taxes and it'll all be fluffy bunnies.
That is not true either.

You're on a roll. Maybe you should be a journalist. Just make stuff up, refuse to qualify your opinion and when challenged, try to change the subject.

Kinda boring though.
Opinions are just that, they don't need to be qualified. I've not changed the subject. I told you where I heard it, if you just want to argue the toss over it, knock yourself out......
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:10 pm
That is not true either.

Kinda boring though.
The Met Office routinely change historic data, they call it weighting. This means they aren't supplying raw data for scrutiny and weighting commonly applies a bias, someone there would have picked the bias they want to use.
They might have picked the bias which best meets their political agenda or they might have picked one they think is most honest however that are unlikely to pick one that they don't like.
Steadily increasing the number of weather stations is likely to show a steady increase in extreme temperatures even if the climate doesn't change at all, there's a lot of blind trust in what the Met Office says so it all comes down to whether you think there's a conspiracy going on.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I am sure we will adapt to any weather change