Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

Post by gremlin »

Leftover barbecue food for lunch. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Robin part 2.

I was lazing in a garden chair with my legs stretched out,enjoying the sun. Robin appears in the nearby holly bush and stares. I do nothing,as I'm quite comfy.

Robin moves to a closer potted bush and stares. I do nothing as I'm quite comfy.

Robin moves to my left boot and stares. I sigh and eventually admit defeat,get up and get out the packet of mealworms.

Normal lounging was resumed at least until the mealworms were devoured.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Youtube DIY videos, these five minute apprenticeships make me look competent. Even if I do need to pause every few minutes because I've found something that wasn't in the last video.
And I've rekindled my love for air tools, I thought they were obsolete now I have an SDS drill and torque driver but they are much lighter and better for getting into tight gaps.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Just read this, bit long for a signature, but sage advice still.

And so seated next to my father in the train compartment, I suddenly asked, "Father, what is sexsin?"
He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case off the floor and set it on the floor.
Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?" he said.
I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
It's too heavy," I said.
Yes," he said, "and it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger, you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The Nationwide 'members rewards' hit the bank account today. £200 - kerrrching! :thumbup:

(Then got an email from the energy company suggesting I increase my gas DD by £40/month :thumbdown: and a car tax reminder for £170 :thumbdown: )

Oh well. Mustn't grumble. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mrs. G told me the story of a friend's daughter,who recently passed her driving test, getting a blue-light pull by the Old Bill. Apparently she was driving along and saw a policeman waving at her. Being polite, she waved back and carried on.

After being pursued and pulled over, the copper explained, in a very nice way, that traffic plod don't wave at passing motorists to be friendly, that it means to pull over. He let her off, I suspect, whilst suppressing a giggle.

:lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:29 pm Mrs. G told me the story of a friend's daughter,who recently passed her driving test, getting a blue-light pull by the Old Bill.
We had trainee whose bike had no mirrors. Sunday morning session he was advised to check over his shoulder regularly.

He was stopped riding to the Tuesday evening session: "riding suspiciously"
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Woohoo :bblonde: The TdF is coming near where I am again :D :D

https://www.letour.fr/fr/etape-17?fbcli ... ndwhscBUy4

Stage 17 finishes in Courchevel, but goes there from Bourg St Maurice - I think it's quite a big day!! There are a few climbs and twisty downhills I think!! This trip they don't use the main road straight to Moutiers/Brides Les Bains, they are 'hanging a left' at Aime and heading up over one of my favourite shortcuts - Longefoy - Notre-Dame du Pré - St Marcel

The bit I've circled in pink is a bit of road I've wanted to do on a bike for years and years - but one with BIG brakes, not cycle brakes!! It is, in the nicest way, nadgery!!! HTF you do that road on a cycle at speed I have no Idea!! LOL

Not many places to watch on that bit I shouldn't think, but I might do a recce and set out with a picnic!! It'll be more shady there than on the top. The top bit will have a fab view, but no shade!!

I'm quite excited!! LOL

And then Stage 18 starts down in Moutiers. If I do have Weds and Thursdays off in the summer, I might do both days!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:06 pm Woohoo :bblonde: The TdF is coming near where I am again :D :D

Stage 17 finishes in Courchevel, but goes there from Bourg St Maurice - I think it's quite a big day!! There are a few climbs and twisty downhills I think!! This trip they don't use the main road straight to Moutiers/Brides Les Bains, they are 'hanging a left' at Aime and heading up over one of my favourite shortcuts - Longefoy - Notre-Dame du Pré - St Marcel

The bit I've circled in pink is a bit of road I've wanted to do on a bike for years and years - but one with BIG brakes, not cycle brakes!! It is, in the nicest way, nadgery!!! HTF you do that road on a cycle at speed I have no Idea!! LOL

Not many places to watch on that bit I shouldn't think, but I might do a recce and set out with a picnic!! It'll be more shady there than on the top. The top bit will have a fab view, but no shade!!

I'm quite excited!! LOL

And then Stage 18 starts down in Moutiers. If I do have Weds and Thursdays off in the summer, I might do both days!! :lol: :lol:
We're stage 8, but all we'll get is 'swwwwwwwwwwssssssshhhhhhhhhhh' and some fresh tarmac to show for it!
Locals are up in arms, There's money to resurface the roads but not enough for regeneration projects and stuff that actually matters.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:49 am The Nationwide 'members rewards' hit the bank account today. £200 - kerrrching! :thumbup:

(Then got an email from the energy company suggesting I increase my gas DD by £40/month :thumbdown: and a car tax reminder for £170 :thumbdown: )

I have had a NW current account for over 30 years, I've had a mortgage with them and several loans. I don't qualify for the "member's reward" :thumbdown:

I did get £10 cashback for spending over £200 in a supermarket last month though :thumbup:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Simple things.

IMG_20230613_194508_855.jpg
IMG_20230613_194508_855.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 280 times
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Druid wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:09 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:49 am The Nationwide 'members rewards' hit the bank account today. £200 - kerrrching! :thumbup:

I have had a NW current account for over 30 years, I've had a mortgage with them and several loans. I don't qualify for the "member's reward" :thumbdown:

I did get £10 cashback for spending over £200 in a supermarket last month though :thumbup:
Really? I dunno what the criteria are but we've got a joint Flex account - regular ££s going in - and a joint savings account (had an ISA but ditched it). It seems we got £100 each because they're joint accounts. Have had the cashback thing too but that only ran up to April, just had the last £10. :thumbup:

Ah...just checked:

'To be eligible, you need to have a qualifying current account as well as either a qualifying savings or mortgage product with the building society'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Demannu wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:58 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:06 pm Woohoo :bblonde: The TdF is coming near where I am again :D :D

I'm quite excited!! LOL

We're stage 8, but all we'll get is 'swwwwwwwwwwssssssshhhhhhhhhhh' and some fresh tarmac to show for it!
Locals are up in arms, There's money to resurface the roads but not enough for regeneration projects and stuff that actually matters.
Yup, tis one of the reasons it's not come back to La Plagne for around 20 years (I think) - not only does the commune pay for all the new road bits, but they have to pay for the TdF to actually come up here as well :o I always thought the route was planned and yes, maybe bid for, but I didn't realise each commune has to pay for the priviledge!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:53 pm
Demannu wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:58 pm

I'm quite excited!! LOL

Yup, tis one of the reasons it's not come back to La Plagne for around 20 years (I think) - not only does the commune pay for all the new road bits, but they have to pay for the TdF to actually come up here as well :o I always thought the route was planned and yes, maybe bid for, but I didn't realise each commune has to pay for the priviledge!!
The best thing about TDF watching is riding some of the stage, as long as you're off the road before the publicity caravan comes through then it's happy days. The spectators have been on the course for ages and cheer you along, if there's an intermediate spring the noise is deafening. :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 pm

The best thing about TDF watching is riding some of the stage, as long as you're off the road before the publicity caravan comes through then it's happy days. The spectators have been on the course for ages and cheer you along, if there's an intermediate spring the noise is deafening. :)
I can imagine! I don't think I'll ever do that! But I'll possibly do some of hte route on a motorbike, but probably a LOT earlier than that!! LOL
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs. D's 150k mile Honda Civic with the creaky suspension, rattly heat shield and dashboard-you-need-to-thump-to-make-the-backlights-come-on got a clean pass on it's MoT :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

That beautiful fragrance coming from the nice warm breeze wafting through my rose bushes and seeing the bees buzzing all around my 'bee area'. Bee area = that patch of the garden I can't be bothered to touch, but my excuse of not touching it is the wild flowers that the bees love :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

A Levels finished at Chez Gremlin. :thumbup:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

We've just buried Glynn.

Burials aren't normally a source of happiness but this one, also tinged with sadness of course, is.

Glynn had a stroke about 4 years ago and although he still had all his motor skills, some of his senses were affected and he pretty much switched off from life. About 7 weeks ago he had another, way more serious stroke and it put him in a coma. He would not have survived without medical intervention and was being kept alive - to the tune of £500 a day.

He died peacefully on Sunday with a swollen head and neck. Survival would have been as a vegetable.

I'm not happy he's dead as he was a good guy but I'm happy he's not being kept alive. Sleep easy Glynn.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

With our private health insurance we have loads of free tests and checkups.
Had loads of blood tests and just been for results.
Just seen doc and he smiled and said everything is good.
Cholesterol back down to normal, so my diet change sorted that
And blood pressure down to normal.

Nice to know I'm healthy. No point in having a few bob if your health goes.