In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I saw a documentary years ago about "what does parliament actually do?" sort of thing. One of the people they followed around was a Labour MP for somewhere in Liverpool. He was an ex Bricky who would still do a bit of Chimney repair at weekends to de-stress.

He seemed like a decent sort. They followed him trying to introduce a bill to address the use of really old tyres on coaches. One of his constituent's kid's died on a coach which crashed cause of mega old tyres.

Actually quite soul destroying watching how much he had to do to get an "honest" bill considered.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:20 pm There are loads of people who'd be a good PM, few of them would actually want the job ;)
A survey about 25-30 years suggested Sir John Harvey-Jones for PM.

At the time, he was in a BBC programme called 'Troubleshooter', visiting businesses* to try and help them

* including one police force
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Local weather guessers have switch from "California entering it's fourth year of mega drought" (which was the story for about three months before we got 2 or 3 years worth of rain & snow in a month) to reporting on the forthcoming "monsoon season".. which hasn't ever been mentioned before AFAIK.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Over here it's a long-standing government tradition to create a 'minister for drought'. That will usually, within days, trigger months of torrential rain.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Isn't a lot of weather forecasting based on the patterns of weather data from what's gone before? If the predictions are getting a bit iffy it might be that the patterns are changing ie the climate is changing.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:18 am Isn't a lot of weather forecasting based on the patterns of weather data from what's gone before? If the predictions are getting a bit iffy it might be that the patterns are changing ie the climate is changing.
One pattern that isn't changing is El Niño. Having said that, it is scheduled to be a pretty extreme version this year.

Hot, hot, hot...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Horse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:58 am Over here it's a long-standing government tradition to create a 'minister for drought'. That will usually, within days, trigger months of torrential rain.
They should appoint the minister at an earlier stage!
Horse

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:48 am
Horse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:58 am Over here it's a long-standing government tradition to create a 'minister for drought'. That will usually, within days, trigger months of torrential rain.
They should appoint the minister at an earlier stage!
:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_ ... Efficiency
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Anyway, I’d appoint the Minister for Drought right at the start of the drought.
Horse

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:22 am Anyway, I’d appoint the Minister for Drought right at the start of the drought.
You'd need to improve radically the accuracy of weather forecasting ;)
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

I'm not sure it is a tradition but I do remember Denis Howell being appointed Minister for Drought in 1976. According to Wikipedia: Days later, heavy rainfall caused widespread flooding, and he became known as "Minister for Floods"

It seems his weather control talents were recognised because "...during the harsh winter of 1978–1979 he was appointed Minister for Snow". I'm not sure how successful that was.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:38 am
Count Steer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:18 am Isn't a lot of weather forecasting based on the patterns of weather data from what's gone before? If the predictions are getting a bit iffy it might be that the patterns are changing ie the climate is changing.
One pattern that isn't changing is El Niño. Having said that, it is scheduled to be a pretty extreme version this year.

Hot, hot, hot...
That's in States North & East of Calizuela, here's it's supposed to piss down all Summer... gee, if only they had spent the $7Billion approved for new reservoirs from Prop 1...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

We have *Climate Czar* John Kerry.. who is quite possibly the most corrupt, dishonest & useless fucking person on the entire planet.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:04 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:38 am

Hot, hot, hot...
That's in States North & East of Calizuela, here's it's supposed to piss down all Summer... gee, if only they had spent the $7Billion approved for new reservoirs from Prop 1...
It will hit those areas hardest but it has an effect globally. Chances are we have been protected (in temperate regions) by the cooling effects of La Niña which is coming to an end. So while the effects of "global warming" have not been so dramatic during this period, this next episode of El Nino could be huge. And yes, that is despite following on from the hottest summer on record here in the UK, so like I say; scorcho....
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:06 pm It will hit those areas hardest but it has an effect globally. Chances are we have been protected (in temperate regions) by the cooling effects of La Niña which is coming to an end. So while the effects of "global warming" have not been so dramatic during this period, this next episode of El Nino could be huge. And yes, that is despite following on from the hottest summer on record here in the UK, so like I say; scorcho....
There appears to be more than a suggestion* that this entire climate change bollocks is actually caused by the amount of heat in the Pacific.. which is directly linked to that bright thing in the sky & has fuck all to do with what we do.... & that lack of pollution from burning coal etc is already causing it to get worse.

*Based on actual evidence from looking backwards, instead of wild ass guesses looking forward (or "computer modeling" as those with a financial stake prefer to call it)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:22 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:06 pm It will hit those areas hardest but it has an effect globally. Chances are we have been protected (in temperate regions) by the cooling effects of La Niña which is coming to an end. So while the effects of "global warming" have not been so dramatic during this period, this next episode of El Nino could be huge. And yes, that is despite following on from the hottest summer on record here in the UK, so like I say; scorcho....
There appears to be more than a suggestion* that this entire climate change bollocks is actually caused by the amount of heat in the Pacific.. which is directly linked to that bright thing in the sky & has fuck all to do with what we do.... & that lack of pollution from burning coal etc is already causing it to get worse.

*Based on actual evidence from looking backwards, instead of wild ass guesses looking forward (or "computer modeling" as those with a financial stake prefer to call it)
No. The effects of agw are as well known now as the regular features such as El Niño/La Niña and of course solar activity (which also happens to be at a minimum currently iirc!).

"There appears to be a suggestion" is some sort of noncommittal "feeling" that has no place in science. All of the observations and records of global temperatures are telling us that there is a definite skew in the data. Things are getting warmer, the entire climate is warming up globally. Where is the data to support your "suggestions"?

Secondly the worlds most respected climatologists have calculated and demonstrated the effect of excess carbon dioxide (methane and water vapour) being "greenhouse gasses" will cause temperatures to rise and those temperature rises have been observed. The climate is warming globally and that trend is ON TOP OF the expected norms of the earths climate.

If you want to argue that excess CO2 is NOT causing the observed rise in temperature, you will need to show some scientific evidence which refutes those observations AND come up with some excuse as to why the greenhouse effect is NOT occurring when we know for certain there has been a huge increase in CO2.
Plato
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Oh fuck. Here we go again. This thread is gonna be poisoned by American politics which no fucker cares about.

Start another thread to argue about that dross
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:06 pm Oh fuck. Here we go again. This thread is gonna be poisoned by American politics which no fucker cares about.

It's as good/bad a place as any other. I may not like reading it, but no reason they can't post it.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:06 pm Oh fuck. Here we go again. This thread is gonna be poisoned by American politics which no fucker cares about.

Oh fuck here we go again. This thread is going to be poisoned by someone who has nothing to do but complain about things he doesn't care about.

He should start a new thread on mumsnet.
Plato
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:19 pm

It's as good/bad a place as any other. I may not like reading it, but no reason they can't post it.
Maybe a separate thread about general news, one about British politics, and another on world politics would be tidier than one big mish mash of them all?