Abrasion resistance

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
The Spin Doctor

Re: Abrasion resistance

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:12 pm
Hot_Air wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:00 pm While Hideout is in another price league from RST, it shows what's possible
I thought that part was the unspoken part in what RST had said. Although if Scott can do it :thumbup:

I think whilst the test aren't the be all/end all it's good to have something, just a shame they lowered the standards :thumbdown:
Not just Scott...

Don't forget ALDI had CE-approved kit on sale - fabric jackets and trousers, and also armoured denim trews.

The A standard is arguably inadequate for use on the road, given that ordinary denim jeans can pass it. AA might be OK for low speed urban use but is being used to promote kit as suitable for all-round riding. AAA isn't equivalent to the old Level 1.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

As well as Scott Leathers (still available) and Aldi, several more brands made textiles that achieved the original (tougher) CE standard for motorcycle PPE: Spidi, Weise, Halvarssons and Clover. And this clobber was generally comfy (and much cheaper than Rukka!) :thumbup:

When we get through this pandemic - eventually- and bike shows return, I’ll be looking at these textiles from Scott Leathers again. Their New Road jacket was superb (mine lasted years) and I like the look of the Road Airflow jacket. The website doesn’t do them justice but I know from experience that Scott can make them in bespoke colours, etc.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:12 pm I know from experience that Scott can make them in bespoke colours, etc.
What? Has nothing we have posted here convinced you to go canary yellow? :roll: :D

PS Weise did a CE suit about 12 years ago.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:12 pm As well as Scott Leathers (still available) and Aldi, several more brands made textiles that achieved the original (tougher) CE standard for motorcycle PPE: Spidi, Weise, Halvarssons and Clover. And this clobber was generally comfy (and much cheaper than Rukka!) :thumbup:

When we get through this pandemic - eventually- and bike shows return, I’ll be looking at these textiles from Scott Leathers again. Their New Road jacket was superb (mine lasted years) and I like the look of the Road Airflow jacket. The website doesn’t do them justice but I know from experience that Scott can make them in bespoke colours, etc.
Just a shame Scott's customer service is so poor... I had half a dozen goes at trying to get some kit sorted for the 2019 Shiny Side Up events in NZ, and they just didn't reply.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Scott Leathers seems like an Old Skool businesses – top craftsmanship, with everything made by hand in Britain. But it hasn’t caught on to the latest trends like email and a decent website! You have to chat with them in person (by phone or at a bike show). And their website does an immense disservice to their clobber – it looks awful online, nothing like how good is in reality.

My experience of Scott Leathers: I chatted with them at the NEC and ordered a CE-spec jacket. They had jackets on hand, but I wanted a bespoke colour. “It’ll take three months,” I was warned. Radio silence for three months. But roughly on time, a surprise parcel arrived with my jacket. And the jacket was fantastic quality (better made than Rukka, in my experience).

Scott Leathers could learn a thing or three about customer service from Hideout. But they (both) make gear that's considerably better than any of the big-name brands. It's a great reason to buy British :thumbup:
Last edited by Hot_Air on Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Hot_Air wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:41 am Scott Leathers seems like an Old Skool businesses – top craftsmanship, with everything made by hand in Britain. But it hasn’t caught on to the latest trends like email and a decent website! You have to chat with them in person (by phone or at a bike show). And their website does an immense disservice to their clobber – it looks awful online, nothing like how good is in reality.

My experience of Scott Leathers: I chatted with them at the NEC and ordered a CE-spec jacket. They had jackets on hand, but I wanted a bespoke colour. “It’ll take three months,” I was warned. Radio silence for three months: zero communication about when I could expect my jacket. Roughly on time, a parcel arrived with my jacket: fantastic quality (better made than Rukka, in my experience).

Scott Leathers could learn a thing or three about customer service from Hideout. But they (both) make gear that's considerably better than any of the big-name brands. It's a great reason to buy British :thumbup:
Better based upon what ?
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Both the Rukka and Scott New Road jackets were excellent 3-season clobber: waterproof without a leak, warm with the liner zipped in (and the right base layer), etc.

Where the Rukka scored better was its double-cuff, and it felt like a premium thing. But I liked the Scott Leathers jacket more. The Rukka lasted several years before (eventually) it began to lose the waterproofing. The Scott Leathers remained waterproof for the many years I owned it. My Rukka jacket had little things go awry: zips would break, buttons fell off, and it discoloured. Nothing went wrong with my Scott Leathers jacket, and I could see why (the zips were a heavier gauge than Rukka uses, for example). But the big thing - for me - was the safety rating. I've witnessed Rukka fare badly in a crash, and Rukka has played fast and loose with CE-marking. (Even now, judging by a comment from Motolegends, Rukka is still trying to avoid the new CE regulations via a Finnish loophole.) But Scott Leathers made my textile jacket to the highest CE standard - before it was compulsory - which meant they had no fear of it being tested independently regarding protection.

Nowadays, Rukka gets its stuff made in China like most others. Scott Leathers, however, continues to manufacture New Road and Road Airflow jackets in Britain by the same people who make its race suits. If I sound like a Scott fanboy, I should say that Hideout seems even better (but Hideout costs more). For Rukka money, I would buy Hideout Hi-Pro textiles. For less money, I'd go to Scott for a New Road or Road Airflow jacket.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 am Where the Rukka scored better was its double-cuff,
Going slightly OT, no manufacturer has, that I'm aware of, bettered the double cuff arrangement that ProTek had on their Elite jacket.

Sadly, it pre-dates the Internet, so pictures are rare.

However, it had four key points:
- very deep ie a long way back up the forearm, for good overlap
- elasticated inner cuff to go well inside a gauntlet length glove
- outer sufficiently wide to go easily over winter weight gloves
- easy one hand closing- a bit like a plastic mini version of a tie down strap, so adjusted to suit any glove. Pull tight, press down the 'tab'. Done. Takes longer to type!

Edit: there were many great features on that jacket.
Cocyx pad.
Elasticated hem, but just the back half (long jacket), to keep it tucked under to avoid draughts and also avoided bunching at the front.
Armour velcro'd to inner liner, so adjustable for fit. Summer and winter liners.
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:44 am Better based upon what ?
Build quality, waterproofing.

I had one of the original Scott Road jackets... bought at Ally Pally one year, survived god knows how many years despatching - at least five - and stayed totally dry in a day's wet riding. The only thing that filled with water were the pockets. It was retired after the boss of the training school bought us all top of the range Akito jackets. They leaked the first time we wore them (mine also tore when I caught it on a door catch), so I dumped the Akito, brought the Scott out of retirement and used it for another year before I bought the Aerostich (which isn't waterproof but wasn't claimed to be). I handed the Scott to my brother, who used it for several more years on the (wet) East Coast of the US. Not sure if he still has it.

Currently I have an Alpinestars 'waterproof' suit which has also leaked from Day One... as did my buddy's. The only reason I keep it is because it's a one-piece which is super-convenient as a trainer.
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 amNowadays, Rukka gets its stuff made in China like most others.
Pakistan, surely.
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

I think Pakistan still supplies leather to most manufacturers (Scott may still UK hides - not in the loop to know these things nowadays). China and Malaysia seem to be the source for most textile gear. They became British/Italian/German/French etc once a badge was added in Europe.
Horse

Post by Horse »

One of my USAF colleagues was based in the Philippines. He visited a factory, they showed him the Hein Gericke catalog, he chose suit he wanted and collected it a few days later. Just no labels.
The Spin Doctor

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php?topic= ... 0China%20!

I stand corrected.

But I do know that a lot of textile kit still comes from Pakistan.
Mascagman

Post by Mascagman »

Definitely Pakistan that manufactures the majority of textile garments on the market. Ridiculous volume
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm PS Weise did a CE suit about 12 years ago.
Looks like they are going AA this time
http://britishdealernews.co.uk/general- ... ise-double

So have they lowered standards, or choosing to go lower to ensure everything passes at AA without the expense of trying AAA and maybe having to re-test some?
The Spin Doctor

As I understand the standards - thanks to Paul Varnsverry - if they previously passed Level One, the garments should pass AAA.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:56 am
Horse wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm PS Weise did a CE suit about 12 years ago.
Looks like they are going AA this time
http://britishdealernews.co.uk/general- ... ise-double

So have they lowered standards, or choosing to go lower to ensure everything passes at AA without the expense of trying AAA and maybe having to re-test some?
I said "A suit", not all of them ;)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I’ll give credit to Weise for being one of the only brands to CE rate its textiles properly :thumbup:

It’s in stark contrast to some more expensive brands. If you want to drop £1,000 on an A-rated textile jacket with Level 1 armour, Dainese or Rukka should be able to assist :thumbdown: In Finnish, I believe the word kusta means “taking the piss”.

Alpinestars has just launched its touring range for 2021. While some of the pricier gear is AA-certified, more than half the touring range is merely rated A.

I’ve not considered Weise before but would now.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:11 pm I’ll give credit to Weise for being one of the only brands to CE rate its textiles properly :thumbup:

It’s in stark contrast to some more expensive brands. If you want to drop £1,000 on an A-rated jacket with Level 1 armour, Dainese or Rukka should be able to assist :thumbdown: In Finnish, I believe the word kusta means “taking the piss”.

I’ve not considered Weise before but would now.
I've had two sets, as day to day gear, bought because the shop sold them so generous discounts were available :)

First was a basic 'nylon' type outer. Were warm, dry and comfortable. Sold them, got a newer set that had a much thicker outer material. The trousers eventually failed waterproof-wise when the inner coating delaminated (I cut them open to look :) ).

But if buying for yourself, retail, Sale of Goods Act would cover you for a lot more than the standard year.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:18 pm But if buying for yourself, retail, Sale of Goods Act would cover you for a lot more than the standard year.
It's Consumer Rights Act now ;)

Unless something waterproof leaks almost immediately, the problem is proving that the failure is not down to 'fair wear and tear' and that the durability of the garment should be longer before it fails.

The months-long run-around I had before getting my money back on the Citroen Despatch Combi - even after reporting the vehicle's faults within days of picking it up, and getting an independent expert in to do a report on it - shows just how difficult it is to pin down someone who knows how to play the system. As there was £7k at stake I kept at that and with some help from one of the old Rev Counter legal experts, I wrote all the right letters at the right time and took it to the final "action will be opened in the small claims court" letter before they folded and took it back.

But for a couple of hundred quid? I had a problem years ago on one of the Suzukis when at the first pad chance on the front brake at 7k, the local main dealer had no OE pads (my first choice) and sold me Ferodos as 'better than original'. They not only wore out in 7 days of despatching (one thousand miles) but took the disc with them wearing it to below the minimum thickness. A replacement OE disc was £180 at the time. But I got into a circular argument between dealer who passed the buck to Ferodo, who passed it back to the dealer, who claimed they must have been fitted incorrectly. I gave up on that one, bought an as-new disc from a breakers, and made sure to only use OE pads thereafter.