Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

Post by Count Steer »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:40 pm Wifey has some video of this which I'll post when it's available:

Camped last night on a site south of Pau in the Pyrenees. From first light there were birds of prey circling, the numbers grew as more birds joined in. Mostly vultures my bird spotting skills fall a bit short outside an English garden.
That reminds me of an experience in the same area. Multi-day hike in the Argelès-Gazost/Vignemale bit. Quite high up on a path with a bit of a drop :D to the right. Looked down on a stooge-ing around golden eagle. Wow! Nearly fell off.

I wonder if people have started feeding the vultures etc because the carrion eaters were struggling after some law was passed about removing dead sheep. There were stories about birds moving north and having to forage around cities. (Quite how the shepherds are supposed to find dead lambs and sheep scattered across the Pyrenées is anyone's guess - or why the carcases needed to be removed. Law of Unintended Consequences, yet again).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Yesterday morning, I woke up early and decided to take the dog for a walk as the world was waking up. Wandering round with a happy dog "What an awesome day" I found myself exclaiming out loud.

2 hours later I was making smoothies with fresh melon, ginger and apple + frozen berries. "This is brilliant" I found myself exclaiming out loud.

Then I was extra pleased, twice in 2 hours I involuntarily exclaimed how good life is.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:40 pm Wifey has some video of this which I'll post when it's available:

Camped last night on a site south of Pau in the Pyrenees. From first light there were birds of prey circling, the numbers grew as more birds joined in. Mostly vultures my bird spotting skills fall a bit short outside an English garden. Around 9am a bloke shows up with a bucket of meat all nicely cut into cubes, pulls up his hoodie and walks into to middle of the rugby pitch next to the campsite. He throws handfuls of meat until the bucket is empty and the birds all seem to have got something. I've no idea how many birds were there, too many to count and over a hundred wouldn't be an exaggeration. The whole thing was over in under ten minutes but a thing I'm lucky to have seen.

Campsite is:

Camping Carolle
+33 5 59 34 59 19
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eqD1CPUwTKeMN6n18
As promised, video of the event.

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Got given a bottle of Jura as a thank you for hosting a quiz night a few weeks back. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:40 pm Got given a bottle of Jura as a thank you for hosting a quiz night a few weeks back. :thumbup:
That's the next winners sorted :obscene-birdiedoublered:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Nice place Jura, and a fun ferry trip to get there. A surprisingly good village shop too.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I like Jura Single Malt. Good easy drinking stuff!

Walking the dog today. She has been housebound as she is in season (still is but church gardens are fenced off and have a wooded area as well). She was such a happy thing bouncing about and enjoying some freedom. Came home to daughter in a better mood, exhausted from yesterdays interviews, but seeing positives in life. More communication from her than we have had in a while.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 pm I like Jura Single Malt. Good easy drinking stuff!

Walking the dog today. She has been housebound as she is in season (still is but church gardens are fenced off and have a wooded area as well). She was such a happy thing bouncing about and enjoying some freedom. Came home to daughter in a better mood, exhausted from yesterdays interviews, but seeing positives in life. More communication from her than we have had in a while.
Sometimes just understanding the 'why' helps with the recovery. For some people, knowing why, or at least having some understanding of the how and why, is a huge weight lifted xxxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Being halfway close to befriending a stray cat that's turned up. It looked undernourished so food was put out and after a week or so it's looking better and I can get within a couple of metres of it. I hope to catch it and take it to the vet for a check up and neutering. It'd be nice to have an outdoor house cat again.
David

Post by David »

cheb wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 pm Being halfway close to befriending a stray cat that's turned up. It looked undernourished so food was put out and after a week or so it's looking better and I can get within a couple of metres of it. I hope to catch it and take it to the vet for a check up and neutering. It'd be nice to have an outdoor house cat again.
If you get it to the vet, ask them to check for a tag....it may be that someone out there is missing their outdoor house cat.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Good point, I think they do that anyway.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Jody wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 pm A colleague is having issues with his KTM125 duke. He literally did his test a week ago and this is his first bike. He asked me to help because "you know about bikes". I know how to fall off them and I know how to wheelie them, but a mechanic I am not.

I wasn't able to fix his bike but I was able determine that the problem was with the charging circuit. As I say, it's not fixed, but he is further forward than he was !
He ordered a stator and gasket.He fitted them. The bike is now running "better than ever". I'm pleased with myself and pleased for him :)
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

2023-06-08 14.45.56.jpg
2023-06-08 14.45.56.jpg (358.72 KiB) Viewed 626 times
After (unsuccessfully) arguing with the GRUAS that my motorhome is actually an hgv, remembering that you have these bad boys in the tool kit, bye bye boot!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Robins.

The little Xmas card stars have learned to associate me with free food,so every time I'm doing something in the garden,or even not doing anything,they land inches away and eyeball me until I get the meal worms out.Like already man.

Painting the shed today and they are ever present. Fat wee non cycling fookers.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Demannu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:50 pm 2023-06-08 14.45.56.jpg
After (unsuccessfully) arguing with the GRUAS that my motorhome is actually an hgv, remembering that you have these bad boys in the tool kit, bye bye boot!
Que?
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:03 pm
Demannu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:50 pm 2023-06-08 14.45.56.jpg
Que?
Andorra la vella had nowhere to park anything over 2.5m in height, so parked in a commercial parking area. After a bit of shopseeing come back to find El GRUAS booting the van. I tried to explain that it's rated as a hgv, but just met with Spanish gesticulation and a ticket with a phone number on. Checked the lock on the boot and it was circular.
The picture is of my circular lock picking kit. I left it safely for them.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Just got a Victory roll directly over the house from one of the Goodwood Spitfires :D :D

(sorry, no pics)

I often come out and wave when we see them in the air (so - pretty much every day), but after having flown over the house myself in the SkyHawk and the Harvard I realised that the chances of being seen are pretty low... but obviously today the pilot spotted that he might have an appreciative audience! :D

I also happened to tell the guy I did the Harvard flight with that we're very happy to get fly-bys..... maybe it was him?

Will try to get photo/video if it ever happens again!
non quod, sed quomodo
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I'm mad about my garden birds (old man syndrome) and am obsessed with making birdhouses (even older man syndrome). Currently there are six, created with love, sited with care - the birds have refused to go anywhere near them. :angry-cussingblack:

So I moved some of them to sites far less prudent, far closer to cats, human contact, disturbances.

A pair of black redstarts moved in the next day and are nesting. Thrilled.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Not really happy, but made me think.

Here in town, my dog sits on a wall and dozens of passing punters stroke him and ask about him. Often humorous banter.

I saw a guy approaching in shorts, with a false leg.

Usual banter ensued and I gave it the usual "he's a trained killer"

Guy replied " I used to be as well " with a giggle and a knowing look.

Made me think, then smile
20220528_165433.jpg
20220528_165433.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 530 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:15 pm
I saw a guy approaching in shorts, with a false leg.

Usual banter ensued and I gave it the usual "he's a trained killer"

Guy replied " I used to be as well " with a giggle and a knowing look.
Wow! He was a PIRATE!
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!