What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Yesterday I had a clean and sort here. Then TC arrived :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've confirmed that I'm incapable of cooking for small numbers!! LOL Menu was simple, chinese takeaway - beef n broccoli in oyster sauce, sweet and sour chicken balls and char sui chow main with fried rice. Oh, and duck spring rolls from the freezer! Salt and pepper chilli chips!! LOL

Think we needed another 3 people to actually eat everything!! LOL The book I use for recipes says each recipe is for one. But actually they are for two, and then I don't measure that much and just bulk up each dish! LOL But hey ho - handy to have the spares in the freezer :D :D LOL LOL (Like about three portions of each of the beef and chow mein! :lol: :lol:)

But it's cool cos I don't often get to cook for other people, so it's always fun for me. Less so for TC as I haven't finished the sofa set up yet so don't have enough cushions to make it comfy :(

Sooo good to have someone to chat with for a couple of days tho - forgot to warn him that the heating is off in all the buildings, so have lent him my radiator for the place he's in! :1
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Oh, also, forgot to cover the dressing on my leg before a shower yesterday so had opportunity to get a photo of the gash on it's way to healing!! Much less yucky, looks like it might heal quite nicely :D :D End stitches out on Thursday at the surgeon visit or Friday with the nurse :D :D

Knee is still a bit swollen. Still doing about 3kms a day walking but the last two days I've been standing up a LOT each day so the knee is quite grumpy. A bit stiff suggesting it's swollen inside I guess. But not painful. Equally, since Saturday I've been back on the big anti inflammatories again after a 4 day break (due to not being able to get the drugs from the pharmacie cos it was closed! She opened specially for me on Saturday morning!! :D ), so I think they are helping a bit, maybe :D

Heading down to the valley this afternoon so will be able to get the L-Thyroxine to start trying!! :D :D :D Here's hoping that driving my friend's little suzuki with a brick like clutch to the valley and back won't be too awful!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Wossname wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 pm I know what AC, PAX, and FFS is, and I’ve worked out that an ST is a bit like a “de luxe” or “super”, but not super what. But SBH? No idea.
ShitBox Honda
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Spent a couple of hours going snippety-snip with the secateurs taming the 'chocolate vine' (akelia alba) that grows up a trellis, across a couple of wires and down another trellis around the porch. The :angry-cussingblack: thing was using the broadband cable as a climbing frame. :(

(Last time my gardener/wife did it she snippety-snipped through the broadband cable. You just can't get the staff these days).

The porch looks a bit bare. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went out for lunch. Drove to the valley and back.

Pre lunch I walked down the stairs 'properly' for the first time since I came home (total today, four times :o ) - but I'm not convinced I can do it again, knee did not enjoy driving 21 hairpins twice or the stop start around the valley :(

I did get some new coffee tho, so will try that in the morning. They didn't have what I wanted and what I got is a little stronger, but apparently with a lovely taste, so it'll be interesting to see :D :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Spent 90 minutes trying to talk to a fucking human at the Ford dealer. Gonna ride over there (45 miles) on the ZRX & stick my foot in someones ass.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

(Possibly) cracked a rib in the most stupid way imaginable.

I’ve sold the luggage off my GS and was looking for boxes to pack them in.

Whilst up the street for a pizza I spotted a guy dumping boxes into a one of those big wheeled bins you see outside businesses. So I decided to liberate some of them as they looked big enough.

I couldn’t quite reach far enough down with both feet on the ground so I sort of balanced on the edge of the bin and leaned over. That’s when I heard the crack :thumbdown:

It’s a bit painful when moving or deep breaths but not as bad as previous rib damage so maybe I’ve gotten away with nothing serious.

Sometimes I forget I’m not 21 anymore, hell I’m not even 61 anymore.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Fixed a daft old british car, paid attention to one of mine for the first time for a while, had a drive with the top down with my daughter after her exams today, spent a bit of time with my Dad.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Went to the big city and saw a guy in a suit. Looked really strange. About 4 or 5 years since last saw one.
Smart jeans/chinos and open neck shirt is usual choice of the office crew.
Skub

Post by Skub »

A day walking and chilling in the grounds of Antrim castle. Very pleasant.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Rebuilt the rockery, moved and washed a load of the stone yesterday, dug out the old wood boundaries that had rotted away over the last 15 years. Today was move a load of the granite from what was the herb garden, now a weed bed to redo the rockery borders. The granite was from a mound of rubble by Faygate Station I found when I used to work trackside 20 odd years ago. All I can say is I was a LOT stronger last time I moved this lot. I'm fooked! Swore and cursed stone into place, bit more weed suppressing membrane and then back filled with granite ballast I was yesterday.
IMG_9650.jpeg
IMG_9650.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 263 times
IMG_9649.jpeg
IMG_9649.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 263 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:30 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:24 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Upped it to 1,000m today and was quite easy.
Much more comfortable now I have a decent mask to stop my eyes stinging.

Only problem was shortness of breath. Always been a good swimmer but perhaps not getting enough oxygen in by sideways breathing. Might get a snorkel and see if that helps.

My arms feel as if they've done nothing. 4 or 5 hours enduro every week has certainly beefed them up :D
1,200m today. Yee hah.

Used a snorkel which made it so much easier.
Cut resting periods by 50% as wasn't gasping for air.
Made my arms ache a bit as they weren't getting as much rest :D
First few lengths were tough today.
But about 600m in, it got easier.
Previously, after first energetic 400m, I'd do a pair of 25m lengths then a slight pause.
Today I was doing 2 pairs at a time so could see total distance going up quickly 🙃

Got to my day's target of 1400m but felt that as I was so close to my ultimate goal, I'd carry on.

Woo hoo last 2 pairs were going well and planned to sprint the extra 9 meters.
But at 1600m I was done. The extra 9 meters was a gentle affair :D

But reet fucking chuffed to manage a mile quite easily.

I giggled all the way home, especially as I was on the GSXR in shorts n flip flops :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Did mile again. Had thought about upping it a bit more, but first few lengths were hard and 1800m seemed daunting.
Planned a mile again and pressure off.
Once I hit 1200m I smiled as though it was all downhill from here.
Last 100m was fastest of all as had a bit of fun. Glad I had a bit extra left.

Now gonna try to drop overall time with shorter rest times.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cooked breakfast, waved goodbye to TC, did a little bit of walking and spent half the day (and now!) stressing about how to get to Grenoble on Thursday for a very early appointment with the surgeon!! LOL

Hey ho. Hopefully if I hitch down the to valley to get a train, I won't have to walk too far!! Eeek
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Saturday and today, gopher, labourer and general dogsbody for the joiner while we fitted 6 hardwood double glazed windows including 2 x 2.2m x 1.3m giant sash windows, 2 further sash windows and 2 casement windows. This was after removing the equivalent in UPVC.

We also lifted a 2.4m x 2.1m hardwood French door / sidelight combo over the roof of the garage and onto the verandah.

Tomorrow will be fitting that frame, doors and glass and a further 1.2m x 1.2m sash window.

By fuck hardwood and glass is heavy, thankfully the biggest windows only had one sash unit installed on delivery but other sash units are a twat to hang until you’ve got the knack which involves holding the unit in the top of the frame while the sprung* cords are hooked into place.

* spring tension was 190lb via a corded block & tackle which are absolute swines to pull down and hook onto the bracket, one per side plus a 10lb one - I don’t know why these couldn’t be 2 x 100lb sprung units per side :think:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Several months ago I put a sign by the front door...

Today I caught one...

Doorbell wakes the dog up. I answer the door...

*$50 please*...
What?
*Didn't you read the sign? You rung the bell, therefore you owe me $50*
I'm not trying to sell anything
*Says right there (points at sign), NO EXCEPTIONS"
I didn't read the sign
*Not my fucking problem, $50 please.*
I don't have any money
*Fine, leave your drivers license & you can get it back when you drop off the $50*
Really?
*You think I'm fucking joking?*
I thought you were...
*I'm not joking, you owe me $50*
I have to go
*ok, bugger off*

Roomie (laughing):
Were you being mean to that guy?
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

You’ll get on well with your new neighbours.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gonna go drop off the ST at the dealer & pick up a loaner to beat on. I'm a student of the Eddie Lawson School for the treatment of rental cars.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Trans warranty issue turned into a complete shitshow today. Dropped off the ST, get driven a couple of miles to Enterprise to pick up a "comparable vehicle".
Choices were the smallest SUV I've ever seen (smaller than a Honda Fit) or a Charger.
Turns out Autonation ShitShow Ford Valencia hadn't made a reservation & were only prepared to pay $44/day... which doesn't cover anything "comparable" to an Explorer. They (Enterprise) had an Expedition with the fuel door hanging off..
Drive Charger to the dealer, fairly one sided conversation results in them being surprised Enterprise told us how much the dealer was prepared to pay & then the daily rate gets upped to $60/day...
But Enterprise doesn't have anything Explorer size so we end up driving 46 frigging miles to ANOTHER Enterprise (closer to home) where the guy behind the counter couldn't have given any less of a fuck & suggested ANOTHER Enterprise...
Drove home in the shitbox Charger, called the third Enterprise place.. "We have another Charger, or an Altima"
The first two places both had Chevy Traverses sitting there, the first place had that Expedition ... & TWO Maserati's.
Suspect the Maserati's were more than $60/day, didn't ask.
Suggested we call back at 9am tomorrow to see what showed up.
and breathe.... FFS.

Had a bowl of TinRoof Sundae :thumbup:

Roomie got hold of the first Enterprise & lit those fuckers up. :angry-cussingblack:

This black Charger is a complete shitbox. Their idea of washing it was to hose it off so it's covered on water spots. Hood looked like someone was dragged over it while wearing Scotchbrite pants. There isn't a straight panel on it, even the rood has dents.
Hit it with an old dirty MF & some cheap detailer. That took care of the spots.. then I actually fired up the G8 & buffed the scratches off the hood & left fender etc with some compound in a couple of minutes..

Late call from the gal at Enterprise & it looks like we may be getting an Expedition tomorrow... probably the one with the fuel door hanging off (which is $70/day).
Basically the Ford dealer fucked up by not reserving a comparable SUV when we made the appointment to drop the ST off. Tomorrows conversation with the Ford dealer is going to be a barn burner.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So you expressed your displeasure by cleaning their car for them? :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

That'll learn 'em