New helmet time

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
formula400

New helmet time

Post by formula400 »

Right, need a new lid, wife dropped my current Specialized Tactic II one on the floor and she’s panicking it’s too damaged to use so I need a new one.
Was looking at the newer version but wondering if there is anything else to check out, I’ll be using for MTB and commuting to work.

????
CBR650r :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: New helmet time

Post by weeksy »

I'm a Giro guy. Certainly in MTB helmets, really nice.

Bought my lad an Endura a few weeks back, it fits lovely apparently and was a reasonable price
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Cool, I’ll check them out
hawker

Post by hawker »

I have a Bell which is okay. But I also have a Lazer which is adjustable and all-round better I find.
HTH.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Like Weeksy, I am a Giro man. I have crash twice in them, they split apart and cracked and I was okay.
Hence they work.

My one issue would be I am not sure that expensive MTB helmets make much difference - good fit and washable padding do ...
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Used to use Giro but LBS stopped doing them so now wear KASK for both road and trail. Fit as well as Giro. Mrs M uses a Leatt lid which she really likes for fit and comfort.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

formula400 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm Right, need a new lid, wife dropped my current Specialized Tactic II one on the floor and she’s panicking it’s too damaged to use so I need a new one.
Was looking at the newer version but wondering if there is anything else to check out, I’ll be using for MTB and commuting to work.

????
Kin 'ell. Just looked at the price of them. Faaaaarrk. Lots of dosh for fuck all protection.

I got one of these a while ago and it's amazing..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELL-MX-9-MI ... 2749.l2649
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:44 pm
formula400 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm Right, need a new lid, wife dropped my current Specialized Tactic II one on the floor and she’s panicking it’s too damaged to use so I need a new one.

????
Kin 'ell. Just looked at the price of them. Faaaaarrk. Lots of dosh for fuck all protection.

Would look weird commuting in London on a bicycle in if though.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 pm

????

He said he dropped it on the floor and it's FUBAR. How can it be fucked ? There's nothing there. I wouldn't feel safe in one.
hawker

Post by hawker »

????

Take it from me that a decent helmet is a life-saver. When I crashed in August 2012 I was wearing my Giro pro-quality helmet and I did fracture my skull sustain multiple brain haemorrhages and a subdural haematoma and my wonderful neurosurgical consultant told my wife that I was not expected to survive, but here I am. The consultant conceded that my helmet saved my life but did not stop the fracture etc. We were travelling at 30-35mph down a long straight gradient on the last lap of a local bunch-race and I think that I must have touched a wheel and my head probably hit the kerbstone at a farm entrance where I went down! I cannot recall this of course. can remember the sharp 90 degree left hander about 300 metres before my crash where I thought, I hope no-one goes down on this bumpy corner as it as a big field 85 riders and I thought if anybody goes down here it could be like a stack of dominoes! But, nope we all got round the corner and I/we were on the straight section. Being the last lap about3 miles before the finish things tend to get lively and the pros go down after touching wheels so us mere amateurs are allowed to do it as well!
My next memory is waking up on the ward after an induced coma of 11 days I think with my consultant sat next to the bed asking me how I felt? Did I know who I was? Where I was? and what had happened? I did know my name and despite the coma knew that I was in Hull. I guessed that I must have crashed. His next words were crucial: What am I like as a person? What do I want to do in the future? I told him that I'm stubborn and do not give up esily! He said good, that helps on this ward! In the future? I said that, All I want to do is get back on my bike! To his great credit he did not say don't be daft you cannoteven stand up right now! He said, "Well if you ant to get back on your bike, then I will get you there!!"
I thought then andhave doine ever since , what a great response to someone who he did not expect me even live a short while before! For that he is officially my hero! I told him this andhe just laughs and credits his staff with saving my life! Clearly not true but what a great man? He is Gerry O'Reilly consultant neurosurgeon at Hull Royal Infirmary. I now claim him as a friend as well as my consultant. He certainly did get me back on my back albeit as a para-cyclist now butI am not comlaing about that. It has given me new objectives in competition and I've made new friends there.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

hawker wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Take it from me that a decent helmet is a life-saver. When I crashed in August 2012 I was wearing my Giro pro-quality helmet and I did fracture my skull sustain multiple brain haemorrhages and a subdural haematoma
I don't want to be rude, but that pro-quality helmet was shit. Why not wear better gear ?
formula400

Post by formula400 »

I never said I dropped it in the floor, I said the wife dropped it on the flour and she’s panicking. Not going to complain, she’s buying me a new lid.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Plus no way am I going to wear a full face MX lid whilst cycling.

But saying that I’ve got my Troy Lee MX lid that’s not going to be used again.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

formula400 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 pm Plus no way am I going to wear a full face MX lid whilst cycling.

OK, an innocent question ?

Would you ride your motorbike at 30 MPH on a long commute, without a proper helmet ?

Just trying to find the mindset of cyclists.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I've got a Boardman because I R one. :)
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:36 pm
formula400 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 pm Plus no way am I going to wear a full face MX lid whilst cycling.

OK, an innocent question ?

Would you ride your motorbike at 30 MPH on a long commute, without a proper helmet ?

Just trying to find the mindset of cyclists.
No

But then a commute is never just 30mph on a motorbike, plus my average speed to/from work is 13/14 mph,
hawker

Post by hawker »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:26 pm
hawker wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Take it from me that a decent helmet is a life-saver. When I crashed in August 2012 I was wearing my Giro pro-quality helmet and I did fracture my skull sustain multiple brain haemorrhages and a subdural haematoma
I don't want to be rude, but that pro-quality helmet was shit. Why not wear better gear ?
Sorry, but I beg to differ. The Giro was highly rated, and worn by pros, but my fractured skull was a basal skull fracture, usually caused by twisting I believe. So the helmet did save my life by protecting against direct impact but not against the twisting. It was not a cheap and nasty helmet at all and my consultant did say that without the helmet I would have died! They are a rule in bunched racing for good reason!
I bought a Bell as replacement because it seemed the best one available for my budget at the shop. Though it appears it is meant as a MTB helmet rather than road. The Lazer which I only use for racing was a prize from Cycling Weekly magazine when I sent a letter in 2016 about Dame Sarah Storey undertaking me in the Paracycling championship but approaching me afterwards to say sorry for such a risky manouevre! Luckily the Lazer is an even better fit than the Bell, Plus it is a very distinct yellow that my clubmates tell me can be seen a mile away!

Soafter that, none taken...! :1
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I’m alsoa Giro wearing on my emtb. It wasn’t the most expensive one, but it had the MIPS system in it. Like my motorcycle helmets, it was the one that fit the best and was the most comfortable. Even the other Giro helmets or the other manufacturers helmets didn’t fit as well.