What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Sorted through a few more boxes. Found some stuff I was looking for. Rid of some other stuff. Reduced the number of boxes by another one :D Still can't find the one cross stitch I've been looking for :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

A day out in the grounds of Castle Espie for me and Mrs.Skub. Lovely peaceful time walking in the huge grounds. Loads of migratory duck and geese breeds I'd never even heard of.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Out in Berlin for a company get-together, last night out together at a "funky-commune-outdoor-bar-stroke-nightclub", and 3 members of the company suddenly decide to get tattoos from the in-house tattoo-shack.......

:wtf:

This is a road-safety charity!

I guess even safety nazis have nights off!
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

One of our SDE guys gets ink whenever he visits a new country/locale through work. Not sure why you'd wanna keep score like that, but he does!

My Dad just used to get coasters.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I fucked up, that's what I did today.

Left the house about 10.30am to drop the ZRX11 & ZX11 seats in Victorville. Got there just after Noon. The guy has a ZRX11 & a ZRX12, we shot the shit for a while.
Leave there & look for somewhere to grab lunch
uh oh, no phone & no wallet... they're on a table in his workshop.
Drive back to his house & he's not there, bugger.
Roomie is with me.. & she left her phone at home.
Go get lunch, use the restaurant phone to call him. Call is ID'd as spam & won't go through. well crap.
Go by his house again. Still not there.
Drive home.
Apparently he had put things together & got roomies phone # from my phone & texted her... of course didn't know this at the time.
I go on FB & there's a msg saying he found my phone & wallet, He put then in the glove box of his truck next to his shop when he left the house... which would have been perfect if roomie had her phone...
He got home again & put the phone/wallet in his house.

We're going back to Victorville tomorrow. My plan to save $100 shipping is going to cost me three trips to Victorville.. which will costs about $90 in gas instead of $60 for two trips.FFS
On the upside, he said he might have the ZX11 seat done by the time I show up.

He said if anyone calls he will tell them I'm out of the office. :)

Maybe I should have tipped him off about the ringtone.... It's the full version of Pythons "Sit On My Face" song...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Also: Gas is only $4.17 over there, the cheapest here is $4.80.. so $12.60 cheaper for a fill up.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Got my rowing boat in the sea this evening, at last. Had to put the mooring float in as well which was a fairly simple task; there's an old anchor wedged between a couple of rocks about 20 metres off shore and I just have to hook a carabiner on the eye of it. Unfortunately there's some old tackle attached to it and it's a tight squeeze for the carabiner.

We've also had a Sperm whale cruising around the area today and seen by loads of boat trippers. It was around Kumlubuk bay, just 3 kms or so south of the village. I didn't see it myself as I was getting stuff ready to get the boat in the water but there's plenty of videos of it. A rare sight here so a big thrill for everyone.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got home from our little trip away. Rest easy Chaps, the Ducati started snd started with Italian flair to boot! 😎
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Jumped on the scales following a long weekend in Bologna. It did not make for pleasant reading. :o
Been overdoing the partying lately.

I have got to drop at least 3 or 4kg to get back.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Just about to head off to the hospital for a (second) hernia op. I'm resigned to the pain and discomfort, but it's the enforced idleness that will really grate.

Expect a number of snarky posts incoming in a day or so...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Walked around the block (extended 'the block' a bit) cos the down and up of yesterdays walk has proper grumped the knee - not painful, but grumpy enough that I'll wind it back for a day or two (also cos I'm going to attempt to go pillion in a day or two :shock: )

Nurse came to change the dressing - it's a bit pointless really as I can do it, but I've stuck with asking her just to make sure all is good. Might do it myself monday and she can check it Weds before I see the surgeon on Thursday!! :D )

Made two loaves of soda bread and some oat cakes/biscuits (aiming for something like Nairns Oatcakes!!)

Going to make some pastry to put in the freezer and some S&S sauce cos I have chicken balls in the freezer that need sauce!! LOL Since the oven is on, I might make a decent batch and put some in jars (they go in the oven to sterilise, so I don't do this unless I've already been using the oven!! LOL). Then I won't have to make it each time I fancy S&S chicken balls for a while :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:27 am Just about to head off to the hospital for a (second) hernia op. I'm resigned to the pain and discomfort, but it's the enforced idleness that will really grate.

Expect a number of snarky posts incoming in a day or so...
Head over to the arguing forum :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:24 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:11 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:52 pm

Got to 600m quite easily today. Was aiming for 700m but felt good so pushed on to 800m.
Might have managed a bit more but didn't want to raise the bar too high for next time ;)

According to big clock I was doing about 1m 12s per pair of 25m lengths.
Last pair I gave it some and sprinted and splashed to 58s.

Then i was knackered :D
Upped it to 1,000m today and was quite easy.
Much more comfortable now I have a decent mask to stop my eyes stinging.

Only problem was shortness of breath. Always been a good swimmer but perhaps not getting enough oxygen in by sideways breathing. Might get a snorkel and see if that helps.

My arms feel as if they've done nothing. 4 or 5 hours enduro every week has certainly beefed them up :D
1,200m today. Yee hah.

Used a snorkel which made it so much easier.
Cut resting periods by 50% as wasn't gasping for air.
Made my arms ache a bit as they weren't getting as much rest :D
First few lengths were tough today.
But about 600m in, it got easier.
Previously, after first energetic 400m, I'd do a pair of 25m lengths then a slight pause.
Today I was doing 2 pairs at a time so could see total distance going up quickly 🙃

Got to my day's target of 1400m but felt that as I was so close to my ultimate goal, I'd carry on.

Woo hoo last 2 pairs were going well and planned to sprint the extra 9 meters.
But at 1600m I was done. The extra 9 meters was a gentle affair :D

But reet fucking chuffed to manage a mile quite easily.

I giggled all the way home, especially as I was on the GSXR in shorts n flip flops :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I said goodbye to my oldest telescope today but it's gone to a good home so happy with that. It's nothing special but is no good for astrophotography as it doesn't have good glass and suffers from some chromatic abberation but over the years I've fettled it a bit, flocking the tube to cut down light bouncing around, a new and far better than the original focuser and a set of better eyepieces, Barlow lens and diagonal.

It's quite a good scope for visual observing and terrestrial viewing but I don't look through my telescopes any more and it was taking up room. It had to go. :(
cheb

Post by cheb »

Butchered a mate's Berlingo stop solenoid to get the thing running well enough to drive to a scrapyard.

Tomorrow will be bodging a fuel injector pipe that got touched by the angle grinder.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Fixed the throne....

The other day I was just getting to the paperwork part of the process when there was a loud bang & the seat lurched to the left. I was prevented from doing a Triple Lindy across the floor by the wall next to the crapper.
I though one of the bolts that holds the seat to the pan had broken.
After 3 or 4 days of dodgy balancing while pooping I decided to take a look.

Turns out part of the seat just clips to the bolt & it had come unclipped, so I reclipped it & had an experimental poop.

Ops check OK.
cheb

Post by cheb »

cheb wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:17 pm Butchered a mate's Berlingo stop solenoid to get the thing running well enough to drive to a scrapyard.

Tomorrow will be bodging a fuel injector pipe that got touched by the angle grinder.
It got fixed until it worked. I bent the pipe so the cut edges touched and welded it. It now runs and the brakes are freed off, it sat unmoved for six months with the handrake on. Lots of revs and drop the clutch in reverse helped by having a large mate in the back putting some load on the wheels.

All this so it can be scrapped. It has to go to a registered scrapyard and that means a trip off island.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Reminds me of my FiLs stories about when they were shutting down RAF Binbrook. He had to help make sure everything was spick and span before they departed the base forever :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

It'd cost about £700 to have it taken by a contractor so worth may mate and I spending a couple of slack half days playing with it.

It had a jammed stop solenoid on the fuel pump, and that's under a stout metal casing, So either remove the fuel pump and strip it out or batter at it with a grinder until the solenoid is exposed. Smack the plunger tip off and bash it back together.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Had a guy come round to look at buying my ST1050, not sure if a tyre kicker or not - see if he comes back with a sensible bid later.

Just got out of the pool and basking in the sun like a hairy whale :D