New V4 170bhp Multistrada coming soon

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

New V4 170bhp Multistrada coming soon

Post by weeksy »

Ducati have uploaded a second social media teaser for a new V4-powered model, set to be revealed on Tuesday, October 15, claiming the bike will produce 170hp (167.7bhp).

Following sightings in early September of a near production ready model in testing, the bike in question looks to be the long-anticipated Multistrada V4, which is likely to take over from the V-Twin Multistrada 1260 already in production as the firm’s flagship adventurer.
Alan PBTD

Re: New V4 170bhp Multistrada coming soon

Post by Alan PBTD »

Heart say's a definite Yes please

But head say's until Ducati sort out some sort of order in the residual value equation I'll leave it ta. Do wonder on the retail price - compared to rest of the range - It's no good offering extended service intervals and perhaps warranties then flood the market with updated / new models every few years. Saw it before with shed loads of MTS's for sale @ 12,000 / 14,000 miles and the major service due @ 15K - at half the purchase price.

Or is the Charlie / Euan Adventure market becoming a little saturated ?

Won't stop me having a chat with Santa tho', assuming he's not on Lockdown..
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I reckon the sweet spot for the 'adventure' bike is 100-120bhp.

Anything more is just a sports bike is disguise.

Saying that, my dream bike is the Multi Enduro in that Khaki green colour, swoon!

Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Now that Karki Green is well cool. A little different and I hear good reports on the Enduro model.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I wonder if the new V4 engine will migrate into other Ducatis. A V4 Diavel, perhaps?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Been thinking about getting a bike for green laning, I reckon this would certainly make an adventure out of it! :wtf:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:58 pm Been thinking about getting a bike for green laning, I reckon this would certainly make an adventure out of it! :wtf:
GSXRs are great off road :)

turn the noise up :mrgreen:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Alan PBTD wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:01 pm Now that Karki Green is well cool. A little different and I hear good reports on the Enduro model.
They are interesting to ride as they are a heavy bugger at a standstill but once moving you dont really notice the weight. I have ridden the 1200 and 1260 Enduro and the newer model has a far better engine "feel" to it and is suprisingly easy to chuck about on the road. I did take it for a bit of laning but nothing too drastic and no dramas

My biggest niggle was the quickshifter which was fine in the lower gears but on the upshift from 5th to 6th the engine cuts for too long to the extent i was feeling myself moving forward then it would kick in again. Whe i raised it at the shop the answer from the new sales bloke was "its meant to be used when pushing on" so my answer that i tried it at 60, 80, 110 and 130 mph and it did the same everytime was meant with a errrmmmm dont know look. Some research on the Ducati forums showed mine wasnt an isolated experience as a few complained about the same thing.

The market saturation of trade ins will be an issue though, especially for those of us with pre 2015 non DVT bikes but we will see
Potter

Post by Potter »

It seems like a mismatch but I'm sure it'll sell in droves to the Adventure bike crowd who will then have big bhp bragging rights as well.
To be fair it'll probably be a cracking road bike as well.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am It seems like a mismatch but I'm sure it'll sell in droves to the Adventure bike crowd who will then have big bhp bragging rights as well.
To be fair it'll probably be a cracking road bike as well.
I'm with you. I don't do the offroad thing, but i just can't comprehend where you need anything 'more' than say a 1050Adv for engine power, 100bhp or so is plenty for 'adventuring' surely ? Offroad you're not going to be hitting 3 figures and even on the road you're looking for cruising miles in comfort rather than anything else ? But that said, i don't get the obsession with 200bhp nakeds either... Again, for me, something in/around 100 is right in the ball park you want.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:39 am
I'm with you. I don't do the offroad thing, but i just can't comprehend where you need anything 'more' than say a 1050Adv for engine power, 100bhp or so is plenty for 'adventuring' surely ? Offroad you're not going to be hitting 3 figures and even on the road you're looking for cruising miles in comfort rather than anything else ? But that said, i don't get the obsession with 200bhp nakeds either... Again, for me, something in/around 100 is right in the ball park you want.
45bhp is just fine with me, but the extra power sells bikes.

There is not a sniff I'd be taking anything that big and heavy offroad though.
G.P

Post by G.P »

For the last 10 years, the 1200 twin Multi has been pushing out 155bhp, so another few bhp from the V4 is hardly a groundbreaking move in the sector :?

Coincidentally I had a sit on a 1200 at the weekend and doscovered that with the seat in the low position I can get both feet down easily and on the electronic suspension model, in "sport" mode the bike is low enough for me to reach the ground.

I'd had a sit on Yins Multi at Pembrey a couple of years ago and seat was set much higher - i'd discounted them since then, They're now back on my list :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

In tests they sound like good roadbikes but I can't help past the side profile looking like a banana. It's like a hippo sat on the seat and squashed that bit of the bike.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

One thing I've learned about the Multi is that the keys are very easy to break.

Don't ask me how I know this......
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

G.P wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 am For the last 10 years, the 1200 twin Multi has been pushing out 155bhp, so another few bhp from the V4 is hardly a groundbreaking move in the sector :?

Coincidentally I had a sit on a 1200 at the weekend and doscovered that with the seat in the low position I can get both feet down easily and on the electronic suspension model, in "sport" mode the bike is low enough for me to reach the ground.

I'd had a sit on Yins Multi at Pembrey a couple of years ago and seat was set much higher - i'd discounted them since then, They're now back on my list :)
Needless to say mine is set on all the high settings ;)

On the subject of the engine power the assorted modes change the power on the bike. In Sport and Touring the bike gets full power 150-160 bhp depending on the model. In Urban and Enduro modes the engine power is dropped to 100 BHP. I have ridden the bike off road on loose tracks and gravel roads and the bike NEEDS to be ridden in Enduro mode as the traction control is too invasive in any other form and this mode switches it off allowing the rear to spin, dig in and drive the bike forward rather than bogging down constantly. The ripples dug in on sharp hairpins on gravel roads where 4 x 4 vehicles have churned it up are especially fun when the TC kicks on and off constantly :crazy:

The full power mode basically makes the bike a big sports bike with flat bars and a comfy seat instead of clip ons and rear sets. They CAN be ridden off road but are far better suited to proper tarmac. Other "adventure" bikes are far better at the off road bit than the Multistrada but not as good on long mileage days in comfort.

I think they are superb allround bikes and have now ticked all the boxes on mine from commuting all year round, touring Europe, off road and trackday :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

My 1200 Monster has a slightly lower tuned motor (135bhp). I've got a set of panniers for it and a screen on the front in a sort of poor man's (or short man's) version of a Multi. Having discovered the low seat makes the Multi an option, its now on the list as it negates the need for the Triumph triple which the Monster share the garage with...
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

And its now official as production begins on the new Multistrada V4

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... strada-v4/

Thank god its now fitted with radar as thats something i have always needed and felt was lacking from all my previous bikes :mrgreen:
Craigyboy9

Post by Craigyboy9 »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:51 pm
G.P wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 am For the last 10 years, the 1200 twin Multi has been pushing out 155bhp, so another few bhp from the V4 is hardly a groundbreaking move in the sector :?

Needless to say mine is set on all the high settings ;)

On the subject of the engine power the assorted modes change the power on the bike. In Sport and Touring the bike gets full power 150-160 bhp depending on the model. In Urban and Enduro modes the engine power is dropped to 100 BHP. I have ridden the bike off road on loose tracks and gravel roads and the bike NEEDS to be ridden in Enduro mode as the traction control is too invasive in any other form and this mode switches it off allowing the rear to spin, dig in and drive the bike forward rather than bogging down constantly. The ripples dug in on sharp hairpins on gravel roads where 4 x 4 vehicles have churned it up are especially fun when the TC kicks on and off constantly :crazy:

The full power mode basically makes the bike a big sports bike with flat bars and a comfy seat instead of clip ons and rear sets. They CAN be ridden off road but are far better suited to proper tarmac. Other "adventure" bikes are far better at the off road bit than the Multistrada but not as good on long mileage days in comfort.

I think they are superb allround bikes and have now ticked all the boxes on mine from commuting all year round, touring Europe, off road and trackday :thumbup:
A friend of a friend had his first multi a few years back, experienced rider and big unit. I’m talking old school prop forward 18 stone plus. First time I went out for a ride in that company, I was on my 954 blade and once we got onto the A roads, I never did see which way he went. He’s since bought a Pikes Peak edition.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Well, call me a Guinea Pig, but just been to my local Ducati dealer and a deposit is now paid...

I couldn't stomach the near £20k price for a 1260S GT earlier this year, considering it was basically a normal 1260S with different paint, especially considering the heavy rumours of the V4 Multi on its way. I bought a KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT instead for a LOT less money, and it's been a lot of fun whilst the electrics haven't played up! The Multi is undboutedly the better bike for covering distance though...

Dealer says they're hoping to get their demo bike in December, customer bikes should start landing in Feb/March... I'm in no rush whatsoever, will have a couple of other bikes to sell privately to go towards the likely £20k+ price plus whatever my SDGT will be worth at the time.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mboy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:06 pm Well, call me a Guinea Pig, but just been to my local Ducati dealer and a deposit is now paid...

I couldn't stomach the near £20k price for a 1260S GT earlier this year, considering it was basically a normal 1260S with different paint, especially considering the heavy rumours of the V4 Multi on its way. I bought a KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT instead for a LOT less money, and it's been a lot of fun whilst the electrics haven't played up! The Multi is undboutedly the better bike for covering distance though...

Dealer says they're hoping to get their demo bike in December, customer bikes should start landing in Feb/March... I'm in no rush whatsoever, will have a couple of other bikes to sell privately to go towards the likely £20k+ price plus whatever my SDGT will be worth at the time.
Wow, congratulations!!! Epic stuff