In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: In todays news...

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:55 pm Irony here is that video/commentary which kicked this conversation off is fake.

So maybe it's not wokery that's the problem. Maybe it's credulity.
True, but there does seem to be some confusion between treating individuals with a weight issue with a bit of respect and normalising it by suggesting that such things are in fact rather good and possibly aspirational/to be admired. All that does is make people feel better about not doing anything about it and the results often end up on the NHS, ie our, bill (hoists, stronger beds, diabetes and heart problems etc). It's a bit like glamourising smoking, drugs or heavy drinking.

Going in the other direction the fashion industry fetishised size zero models and we appear to have an epidemic of (not) eating disorders. At least they started to get the message and started to use healthy looking models (of a wider age range) who are a bit less atypical.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Felix wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:39 am Now its obvious not all obese people are like that for spending years in pie shops ... some are depressed and need help what they may just not get.
Not obvious to everyone.

A couple of things guaranteed to get comments on here are weight and gender. Both issues, in some cases, have been linked with autism, for example.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:32 pm I'd lay a pound to a pinch of shit you wouldn't have posted the original video. It's the addition of the fake commentary about discrimination which drew your attention I'm betting.

You're anti woke in the same way tic tocers are woke. Different side of the same coin.

Well you're dead wrong though I doubt if you'll be man enough to apologise or send me my pound either.

I was in a conversation with @Yambo talking about food and it's effect on society and how "big food" (I hate that moniker) will cut costs to ramp up profits at the expense of personal health.
Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:22 pm
Yambo wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:44 pm
So how is a product that is comprised of a staple, a bit of healthy eating and some red meat, junk. It's certainly not priced as junk.
...I have recently stopped eating virtually any "processed" food. As much as I can anyway and limit the amount of seed oil too. I started doing this after I discover that the major food companies will try to get away with whatever they can in an attempt to shave pennies off the price of food...
Then @MrLongbeard chipped in with a sponsored advertisement showing a healthy elderly couple who allegedly eat at McDs every day.
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:29 pm
gremlin wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:25 pm A maccie D every ten years ain't gonna kill ya.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/10/tom-83-a ... s-8125501/
To which I reply with a picture (NB NOT a video - give me my £1 !!) from "paddleyourownkanoo.com" (which I thought was hilarious and fully expected to be lambasted for daring to look at) to show a more representative person who (I propose) is no stranger to junk food.

Interestingly, there is no mention in that cropped picture of any suing of any airline. My incredulity was piqued by the mere fact this monster calls herself a "plus size model" a level of euphemism that would claim Attila the Hun was "a naughty little boy".
Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:00 pm and yet...

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2023 ... ane-aisle/

Thanks to woke ideology, morbid obesity is not so much a medical condition as it is a business venture.
The business venture I refer to is that thing being a "model" which I suppose in some way it is representative of the way America is going.

While that may be why you made the mistake of assuming the thrust of my argument was regarding some litigation, I still want my pound...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
cheb

Post by cheb »

Err, can we stop being rude about overweight models please, some of us are sensitive.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:58 pm Err, can we stop being rude about overweight models please, some of us are sensitive.
You're merely jealous you didn't take up the business opportunity first
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:07 pm
cheb wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:58 pm Err, can we stop being rude about overweight models please, some of us are sensitive.
You're merely jealous you didn't take up the business opportunity first
Wrong again. You're on a roll...
Plato
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:50 pm
Well you're dead wrong...
I assumed you posted it as anti woke comment because the only thing you said about the video began with "Thanks to woke ideology". :think:

But you're right, I assumed you meant something you didn't.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Err....
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:24 pm
Err....
I think it's just self depreciating humour.

Have met @cheb and he's a big guy that's for sure but like @the_priest most of that is height...

<edit> I seem to recall some mention of a "hobby" which relates to this but am less sure now if that is common knowledge.
Plato
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:33 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:24 pm
Err....
I think it's just self depreciating humour.

Have met @cheb and he's a big guy that's for sure but like @the_priest most of that is height...
I was being tongue in cheek. To some it's the same as saying 'fat'...which, according to the Roald Dahl Foundation, or whatever his family call it, and their publishers is verboten, even of fictional characters. Personally I'm a 'person at the higher end of my optimal BMI range'. :thumbup:

Edit: PS yes, I remember now. Cheb has a varied career portfolio. :D
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

The last time I checked I was worth my weight in lard on a per hour basis.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

With inflation...no pun intended...it's probably only plant based spread now.

That's quite an interesting metric actually. Maybe we should start quoting hourly rates for all situations like that. I'm off to do some back of the envelope sums.

Edit: Scrap memory cards apparently! I might also scrape robusta coffee in a cheap year but arabica is way out of my league.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:26 pm With inflation...no pun intended...it's probably only plant based spread now.

That's quite an interesting metric actually. Maybe we should start quoting hourly rates for all situations like that. I'm off to do some back of the envelope sums.

Edit: Scrap memory cards apparently! I might also scrape robusta coffee in a cheap year but arabica is way out of my league.
I just used Sainsbury price for 250g of lard (60p) and it makes me £168/hr. :thumbup:
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Hark at Twiggy!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Global news that people don’t care about because they think it won’t affect them…

The USA about to go broke and default on its debt, leading to global financial meltdown worse than we’ve ever seen.
They owe 31 trillion dollars and can’t pay it back, so they need to borrow more or go bust.

The Bank of England shown to be lying about interest rate fixing.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Potter wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:33 am Global news that people don’t care about because they think it won’t affect them…

The USA about to go broke and default on its debt, leading to global financial meltdown worse than we’ve ever seen.
They owe 31 trillion dollars and can’t pay it back, so they need to borrow more or go bust.

The Bank of England shown to be lying about interest rate fixing.
Yes, the national debt for the USA is astounding.

Only way out of it for the USA is to start a decent war somewhere.
Plato
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:33 am

Think about it, when some banks collapsed it caused a global crisis that hit the whole planet - so imagine if the USA formally financially collapses!*
It will wipe out pensions, investment funds, banks, etc, all around the world.

But that's all in 'merica and won't affect the English goldfish bowl :lol:

*It actually has already collapsed, but they can agree to print more money and 'borrow' it to appear like it hasn't.
Without the loan they can't pay pensions, social services, their debts, etc - they will actually go bust.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:37 am
Screwdriver wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:33 am

Think about it, when some banks collapsed it caused a global crisis that hit the whole planet - so imagine if the USA formally financially collapses!*
It will wipe out pensions, investment funds, banks, etc, all around the world.

But that's all in 'merica and won't affect the English goldfish bowl :lol:

*It actually has already collapsed, but they can agree to print more money and 'borrow' it to appear like it hasn't.
Without the loan they can't pay pensions, social services, their debts, etc - they will actually go bust.
How has the USA etc got to that point of debt?

I see a lot of people stating these facts but no-one ever seems to question why and who is responsible for such debt!, why is this?

I thought all these amazingly rich and intelligent leaders would have a cap on it and know what they are doing to not allow the debt to get out of hand.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pretty much every nation has huge amounts of debt. In fact if you're got a vaguely normal pension fund there's a good chance you "own" some of that debt and a/the government owes you some money*.

Once you get into the billions and trillions of debt it all becomes a bit of an abstract concept really!

*No you can't go to number 10 and demand it :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:56 am Pretty much every nation has huge amounts of debt. In fact if you're got a vaguely normal pension fund there's a good chance you "own" some of that debt and a/the government owes you some money*.

Once you get into the billions and trillions of debt it all becomes a bit of an abstract concept really!

*No you can't go to number 10 and demand it :D
I saw a film yonks ago (maybe not a million years ago but it feels like it) where a lookalike ended up as president. He called in a mate who was an accountant to try and make sense of things with him.

I can't remember the phrase but it was along the lines of "I don't know how they've done this, if you operated a company like this you'd be jailed" (Probably nothing like that but I suspect that was the gist!).

Essentially, I suspect no one actually knows the incomings and outgoings as a whole. They all wing it for their period of office and then leave it for the next group of people to 'wing it' :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: