In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Everyone knows deep fried Maccas apple pies are hotter than the sun inside.

I dunno....I feel like Maccas get a load of stick for being junk food, which they are, but I've never known anyone get a bout of the shits from them, they pay a living wage AFAIK and they make everything "fresh".
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sat May 20, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 pm Everyone knows deep fried Maccas apple pies are hotter than the sun inside.
Yeah well I know that now...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 pm Everyone knows deep fried Maccas apple pies are hotter than the sun inside.

I dunno....I feel like Maccas get a load of stick for being junk food, which they are, but I've never known anyone get a bout of the shits from them, they pay a living wage AFAIK and they make everything "fresh".
They're not as good as BK, but the biggest problem is that they never get the fucking order right. Ever.

KFC on the other hand, is a guaranteed dose of the shits.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:31 pm In my youth I worked in McDonalds and Burger King kitchens, I don't remember any microwaves in either. They had no need for them.
I had a Whopper about an hour ago. Was superb :)
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Schofield is away......

I wonder if he'll be as big a cnut to people on the way down as he was on his way up?

BBC News - Phillip Schofield leaves ITV’s This Morning
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65658609
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Seems to have been a bit of a scallywag ;)

Gill died in 1940, but in 1989 a biography was published detailing diary entries in which he described sex abuse committed against his two eldest daughters, an incestuous relationship with his sister, and sex acts carried out on his dog.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65655332
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 pm
I dunno....I feel like Maccas get a load of stick for being junk food, which they are,
Is bread on its own 'junk food'? I don't think so. You can buy it from bakers and it is often provided with a meal in a restaurant. It is a staple, hardly junk food.
Is a minced beef pattie on it's own'junk food'? No, I don't think so. It's going to be a fairly decent percentage of meat I'd guess (I'm not going to research it) but is it junk food because it's minced rather than a joint of meat? It's not cheap is it and while too much of it can give you problems with your coronary arteries meat in itself is not junk food. At least, not in my book.
Is salad 'junk food'? I think McD's put a bit of salad in their burgers (I'm not sure, been a long time since I had one) and is that salad one of your 5 a day thingies? Whatever, salad may well be seen as what food eats but is supposedly healthy and not junk.

So how is a product that is comprised of a staple, a bit of healthy eating and some red meat, junk. It's certainly not priced as junk. I'd say it's quite a well balanced small meal/snack. Like anything, eat to many and you'll maybe do some harm but that's the same with a lot of 'not junk' food.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:38 pm Seems to have been a bit of a scallywag ;)

Gill died in 1940, but in 1989 a biography was published detailing diary entries in which he described sex abuse committed against his two eldest daughters, an incestuous relationship with his sister, and sex acts carried out on his dog.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65655332

I think that's quite old news, Gill being a nasty bit of work.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I wish they would find that Golf or Coronation Street was invented by paedos or slave traders, so they could cancel those.

Why is it always the statues?
cheb

Post by cheb »

DefTrap wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:58 pm I wish they would find that Golf or Coronation Street was invented by paedos or slave traders, so they could cancel those.

Why is it always the statues?

Because if they started on the musicians there'd be very little rock music left to play. All those stars that married or had sex with 14 year olds.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:58 am So now all food wrapper will be printed 'caution contents hot' for the very hard of thinking.
Haven't takeaways had to print similar on cups for hot drinks? FFS - if you buy a takeaway coffee that isn't hot, then that sux. If you need telling that the coffee is hot, how stupid are you?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Re Yambo's comment: It's not just 'bread' and lean beef though is it? An American Big Mac is 550kcal, high salt, 29g of fat, 25g of protein and 3g of fibre. Chuck in the 'chips' and their salt and a soft drink and you're heading for a fair chunk of the typical calorie burn* per day and quite a bit of salt. That is the definition of junk food** (Also see formula400s cycle commute post for what it takes to burn 400kcal. A 4.6 mile hike with 44 'floors' doesn't burn 550kcal for me). So yes, every now and again, no problem.

* On a low activity day my calorie burn is 1800-1900kcal but that's still with >3000 steps. I have to put a fair bit of effort in a day to get anywhere near 2500.
** "Junk food" is a term used to describe food that is high in calories from sugar and/or fat, and possibly sodium, but with little dietary fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, or other important forms of nutritional value.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yambo wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:44 pm
So how is a product that is comprised of a staple, a bit of healthy eating and some red meat, junk. It's certainly not priced as junk.
It's all in the processing. The burgers (unless otherwise stated) will be mrm or mechanically recovered meat. Every scrap of anything from the animal that isn't bone. Ears, eyes and assholes as they say. The recovery process is industrialised using a range of chemical processes to solidify and stabilise the "meat".

Speaking of "stabilised", ever wondered what "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" is? Sounds innocuous but no, actually, these "trans fat" oils are more like an industrial grease. They are indigestible (!) and really not good for you, though I suppose you get that "classic" taste plus it helps the so called "meat" last much, much longer before it turns rancid. That plus the preservatives, colourings etc.

I have recently stopped eating virtually any "processed" food. As much as I can anyway and limit the amount of seed oil too. I started doing this after I discover that the major food companies will try to get away with whatever they can in an attempt to shave pennies off the price of food, now that the "super" markets have destroyed much of the competition. Now it's a race to the bottom regards quality of produce.

I **think** trans fat oils have only recently been removed from bulk industrial foodstuffs like McD's quite recently. A quick Google (I can't be arsed frankly) tells me they might actually still be pumping burgers full of that shit...
Plato
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:14 pm Without the parent being given sufficient warning...
That the parent should need warning implies, to me, they aren't fit to be a parent
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

No such thing as bad food, only bad diets.

A maccie D every ten years ain't gonna kill ya. Twice a week, mind, and it's gonna make you a fatty and kill you stone dead as you struggle to put on your lounge wear to watch daytime telly.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:41 pm KFC on the other hand, is a guaranteed dose of the shits.
Bugger, I'm just back from there.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:25 pm A maccie D every ten years ain't gonna kill ya. Twice a week, mind, and it's gonna make you a fatty and kill you stone dead as you struggle to put on your lounge wear to watch daytime telly.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/10/tom-83-a ... s-8125501/
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:22 pm
Yambo wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:44 pm
So how is a product that is comprised of a staple, a bit of healthy eating and some red meat, junk. It's certainly not priced as junk.
It's all in the processing. The burgers (unless otherwise stated) will be mrm or mechanically recovered meat. Every scrap of anything from the animal that isn't bone. Ears, eyes and assholes as they say. The recovery process is industrialised using a range of chemical processes to solidify and stabilise the "meat".
And, provided it comes from a cow, it's still 'beef'.

Can't find anything to confirm this but years ago I read that KFC was based on the wheeze of buying cheap battery chicken carcases from egg farms that usually went for grinding up for animal fodder, then coating it in stuff so the chicken is a minor player. Wouldn't touch the stuff even if that's not true. (I have eaten it in the past).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

and yet...

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2023 ... ane-aisle/

Thanks to woke ideology, morbid obesity is not so much a medical condition as it is a business venture.
Plato
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Surely that's a piss take in a fat suit? Looks that way anyway !

Plus...that bag is never gonna go in the overhead locker.