In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: In todays news...

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:13 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:52 pm I can't reciprocate as you live in a shit hole city.
I hear that a lot from people who don't live here.

You insist how great it is to live on a dead volcano and justify that because you can pop down to the beach and perve at the totty?

Like I said, I'm not a pervert and the idea of gawping at "young ladies" like some creepy old fart is less appealing than you suggest. Actually, the notion makes me feel a little queasy if I'm honest.

I'll be heading off to the Science museum again this month. It's only 20 minutes from here. Later maybe Greenwich, the Natural History museum, one of the dozens of world class art galleries, theatres, cinemas, restaurants. Whenever I feel like it, I can find my own choice of stimulation or entertainment and I can be there before you even have time to wank yourself into a coma..
London is a dump
Honda Owner
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm London is a dump
Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:13 pm I hear that a lot from people who don't live here.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:16 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:13 pm I hear that a lot from people who don't live here.
London is a fantastic city, BUT I prefer to live elsewhere. I have lived in London, I enjoy visiting London, but I would not willingly live there again.

Lots of great places to see, but few places to live that are nice, and those few are uber-expensive.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:33 pm
London is a fantastic city, BUT I prefer to live elsewhere. I have lived in London, I enjoy visiting London, but I would not willingly live there again.

Lots of great places to see, but few places to live that are nice, and those few are uber-expensive.
I think, from my experience anyway, that you a) have to be at the right time in your life to get the most out of it and b) either have to have the money to live in a nice bit that's near the middle or be hip enough to be happy living somewhere 'edgy'.

My time there was :thumbup: and my feeling then was that England was divided in two: London and Not London (or London' for the set theory people). Even then my London' included everywhere not on a 10 minute tube journey from Leicester Sq. :lol:

(I had lived in 2 provincial English cities before that).

Wouldn't want to be there now, at my current age, unless I was absolutely minted. Have to laugh at the 'London's a dump' stuff though. It 's always from people in Arseendofnowheresville ie London' not from people living in London.

I liked living in Brussels and Paris too - I guess I'm a 'capitalist' :D . In an ideal world I'd have a place where I am and a pied á terre in somewhere eg by Regent's Park (another in Paris would be cool too). That'll do nicely. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Anywhere/everywhere can be a nice place to live.

It all depends on the people. An absolutely gorgeous place will be a shit place to live if the people are horrible and an inner city 'hell hole' could be just fine if the people are lovely.

People make places.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:56 pm
I liked living in Brussels and Paris too - I guess I'm a 'capitalist' :D . In an ideal world I'd have a place where I am and a pied á terre in somewhere eg by Regent's Park (another in Paris would be cool too). That'll do nicely. :thumbup:
A pied á terre by Regent's Park, and another in Montmartre, my idea of heaven. Can I have one in New York too? :D
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:52 pm I can't reciprocate as you live in a shit hole city.

You insist how great it is to live on a dead volcano and justify that because you can pop down to the beach and perve at the totty?

Like I said, I'm not a pervert and the idea of gawping at "young ladies" like some creepy old fart is less appealing than you suggest. Actually, the notion makes me feel a little queasy if I'm honest.

I'll be heading off to the Science museum again this month. It's only 20 minutes from here. Later maybe Greenwich, the Natural History museum, one of the dozens of world class art galleries, theatres, cinemas, restaurants. Whenever I feel like it, I can find my own choice of stimulation or entertainment and I can be there before you even have time to wank yourself into a coma..
London is a dump
I dislike all towns, but hate London with a vengeance. No doubt some wanker will say my opinion is wrong.
It's just that, my opinion.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Shock. Horror. The windmill, solar panel & EV battery industry are sponsoring climate change legislation...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:43 pm
A pied á terre by Regent's Park, and another in Montmartre, my idea of heaven. Can I have one in New York too? :D
Of course dear boy. (As long as I can borrow it on occasion :thumbup: ).

Actually I think there's some mileage in a 'Pied á Terre' club. Say, 4 people share the purchase cost and get so many days a year BUT share in any value increase (or decrease of course). A bit like a private time-share. All the usual issues of course as with anything shared but I'd go for 25% of a Regent's Park pad with civilised people. :D

(However, my old apartment, which was a literal stones throw from Belsize Park tube on the Northern Line is now £1M+ :shock: I paid £35k and spent £10k on it).
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:56 pm My time there was :thumbup: and my feeling then was that England was divided in two: London and Not London (or London' for the set theory people).
Was?

There's London and then there's "subsidised by London". ;)
Have to laugh at the 'London's a dump' stuff though.
Well quite...the fancy bits of London are off the scale fancy aren't they? It'll cost you a bit of folding just being there, but it's certainly nice :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I think, from my experience anyway, that you a) have to be at the right time in your life to get the most out of it and b) either have to have the money to live in a nice bit that's near the middle or be hip enough to be happy living somewhere 'edgy'.

My time there was :thumbup: and my feeling then was that England was divided in two: London and Not London (or London' for the set theory people). Even then my London' included everywhere not on a 10 minute tube journey from Leicester Sq. :lol:

Wouldn't want to be there now, at my current age, unless I was absolutely minted. Have to laugh at the 'London's a dump' stuff though. It 's always from people in Arseendofnowheresville ie London' not from people living in London.

I've lived in London, Tooting, behind Springfield Hospital, if anyone is interested, and the reason I no longer live in London, because it's a dump, it's true there are loads of facilities, but it still manages to be a dump, I preferred living in Sheffield if we're going to compare cities, there are loads of places in the UK nicer to live than London, but not many that are worse.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:49 pm

I've lived in London, Tooting, behind Springfield Hospital, if anyone is interested, and the reason I no longer live in London, because it's a dump, it's true there are loads of facilities, but it still manages to be a dump, I preferred living in Sheffield if we're going to compare cities, there are loads of places in the UK nicer to live than London, but not many that are worse.
Hey, be careful. We're not allowed to have our own opinions on here.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I hate shitty small spanish islands with a vengeance. No doubt some wanker will say my opinion is wrong.
It's just that, my opinion.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:49 pm I've lived in London, Tooting, behind Springfield Hospital, if anyone is interested, and the reason I no longer live in London, because it's a dump, it's true there are loads of facilities, but it still manages to be a dump, I preferred living in Sheffield if we're going to compare cities, there are loads of places in the UK nicer to live than London, but not many that are worse.
Tooting? Is that somewhere south of the river? :D

Had a place off West Street in Sheffield for a while. Sheffield is pretty good now that more places to live in the centre are available it's come to life again but I remember the years when it was dying on its feet. Meadowhall did for a lot of the shops and footfall. John Lewis recently called it a day too. But at least people are living in the middle again and places are opening to service them. There's a bit of a buzz about it (not just from the chainsaws :( ). The other + is the Peaks are on the doorstep. Definitely there are worse places to be.
Voltaire
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yorick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:54 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:49 pm

Hey, be careful. We're not allowed to have our own opinions on here.
Well I'm certainly not.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

I lived there for 27 years. Worked there for 32 years. It's a shithole.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:58 pm
I lived there for 27 years. Worked there for 32 years. It's a shithole.
:obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Good job that opinions differ. Otherwise everyone would live in the same sort ofplaces, and it would get crowded.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:18 pm Good job that opinions differ. Otherwise everyone would live in the same sort ofplaces, and it would get crowded.
What, like in London? ;)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:43 pm

A friend and I were chatting once about a lotto win (it was something like 150million GBP or something) - I was like, I could have a nicer apartment here (all the chalets are too big for one person and stupid money!) and a fun car, a sensible van and a few bikes, give loads away, set up trusts, make people less stressed about money etc etc.

He's like - that's not enough money to get a nice flat by (can't remember which) park in London, a New York apartment in the posh bit, a place on the coast and a yacht with a crew. Probably a plane too!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was gobsmacked! At 50+ whats the point? Ok, the timeshare idea ^^^^ is cool, but seriously? A posh suite in an hotel would do the job and then you'd have no running costs , just pay in whatever city you want to be in!! :lol: :lol:

Personally, I hate cities or big towns. No idea why really. I did grow up in the countryside, closest town was probably 30+ mins and closest village 10 - 15 mins. Probably lucky I like being in remote places - cos I'd be going stir crazy up here with no transport if I needed 'civilisation'!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: