In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: In todays news...

Post by Ant »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:12 pm Sneaky anglers get time in prison for cheating.

Fishing cheats net prison sentence over scandal

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65567422

No getting off the hook for them. Felt the full weight of the law. The scales of justice. Ad infinitum.
Naughty Bhoys. They should gone net zero.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:46 pm Falsehoods are easy to confirm, truths are more difficult to prove. This is the foundation of science for example. The logic is fairly easy to understand, ask Betrand Russell
I think Russell (and science) said the polar opposite of that Screwd - you can’t prove a negative - hence his teapot.

That’s why you have to have evidence to back up what you say. A fact lost on a lot of YouTubers and hack TV news channels.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Horse wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:52 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:39 pm Here's another way to look at that factually true spin using "alternate" facts which the media did not want you to know:
Factually true, but 'spin' because it doesn't fit the preferred narrative?

Sheesh :crazy:
Addendum:

A fact cannot be either true or false

The Philosophy of Logical Atomism (1918-19)
Lecture 1: Facts and Propositions*
Bertrand Russell
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:56 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:46 pm Falsehoods are easy to confirm, truths are more difficult to prove. This is the foundation of science for example. The logic is fairly easy to understand, ask Betrand Russell
I think Russell (and science) said the polar opposite of that Screwd - you can’t prove a negative - hence his teapot.

That’s why you have to have evidence to back up what you say. A fact lost on a lot of YouTubers and hack TV news channels.
It's not that simple when you think about specific examples. Russell's Teapot is an example which states a proposition must be "falsifiable". Fair enough, appears to confirm your proposition. But the falsifiability of a news item is a lot easier than searching for a teapot in low Earth orbit....

"Truth" I discover is a darned site more difficult to confirm. Not just because of the extraordinary amount of shadow bans, censorship and false information but also of course, the reliability of the source which really has to be impeccable.

So when a newsperson declares, oh, I dunno, "innocent schoolboy killed when he was knocked off his moped" and after a little bit of digging you discover he left school to run drugs for a rival gang across county lines and was executed while riding a stolen motorbike, there are sufficient clues as to the veracity of the story.

I generally find the same is true for many stories I dare not repeat: a bit of digging reveals missing information that does not suit the media narrative and reveals the lies we are constantly being told. Must admit, sometimes the veracity of a statement relies entirely on the precise wording. Something that "Snopes" uses all the time to "debunk" a story using clever word play. There is so much of that going on right now it makes your head spin. Pun intended...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:56 am I think Russell (and science) said the polar opposite of that Screwd - you can’t prove a negative - hence his teapot.

Remove predictions, modelling & wild ass guesses from climate change *science* & look at the evidence of what has actually happened & it all basically collapses.. especially as predictions & modelling are nothing but wild ass guesses & haven't once got it right. Made a lot of people rich though.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

A biker is in the zoo when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion’s cage.
Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back, letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A New York Times reporter has watched the whole event. The reporter says, “Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I saw a man do in my whole life.” The biker replies, “Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.”

The reporter says, “Well, I’m a journalist from the New York Times, and tomorrow’s paper will have this story on the front page… so, what do you do for a living and what political affiliation do you have?”

The biker replies, “I’m a U.S. Marine and a Republican.”

The following morning the biker buys The New York Times to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

“U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH.”

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:31 pm Remove predictions, modelling & wild ass guesses from climate change *science* & look at the evidence of what has actually happened & it all basically collapses.. especially as predictions & modelling are nothing but wild ass guesses & haven't once got it right. Made a lot of people rich though.
Far too simplistic analysis of the current state of climate science. Not even close to the truth...

The models are extraordinarily accurate considering the extreme complexity of the earths climate. Vastly, unimaginably more complex than people really appreciate.

Without diving too much into the detail of this polarising topic, I agree with the thrust of your statement which suggests unscrupulous politicians and business entities are manipulating the scientific evidence as an excuse to extract more money for essentially the same thing.

I'd like to know how every single energy supplier out there can claim to be "carbon neutral" and environmentally clean as a whistle. As if they can magically create energy from nothing AND guarantee every amp of power thy supply to you is from some magical "sustainable environmentally saintly source" as if it's not just tapped out of the national grid. Just so long as you pay more money for it, everything is better. Every single one of them. There is a lot of scamming being done in the name of "science".

Science is the purest of all human pursuits. It is the fundamental reason which justifies our persistence; otherwise what do we do? We merely exist.

But it breaks my heart to see politics and business bastardise and pervert their interpretation of "science" to further their own greed. That is what humans do sadly but do not mistake that sort of "weaponisation" as in any way the "fault" of science itself..
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:19 pm Far too simplistic analysis of the current state of climate science. Not even close to the truth...

The models are extraordinarily accurate considering the extreme complexity of the earths climate. Vastly, unimaginably more complex than people really appreciate.
If that were the case, we wouldn't have some of the people who actually create the software to do the modelling telling us the software is flawed & wildly inaccurate.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Looking forward to the day when it becomes extremely fucking obvious that going from 0.04% to 0.03% will have devastating consequences for plant life on the planet & we won't be around to see 0.02% because EVERYTHING will be dead.

On the upside, the fucking vegans will be the first to cark it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:49 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:29 pm

It just went up exponentially.
You spend hours and hours in here arguing to the death.
It must make you very proud.
Well done 👏
You're like a fucking rabid dog.

Arguing is for losers.

Go outside. Smile

:)
Maybe I should pop down to the beach and leer at some lovely ladies.
I walk along the seafront every day.
Often with the missus.
She does like to comment on the nice young males. And does point out to me, any ladies sunbathing topless.

But thanks for the top tip.

I can't reciprocate as you live in a shit hole city.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:45 pm
If that were the case, we wouldn't have some of the people who actually create the software to do the modelling telling us the software is flawed & wildly inaccurate.
Show me some evidence for that.
Plato
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:52 pm
Often with the missus.
She does like to comment on the nice young males. And does point out to me, any ladies sunbathing topless.
Filly: "Did you see what she was wearing?"
H: What, the busty blonde in the tight top?
Filly: "Yes"
H: No, I didn't see her.

Mind you, Foal was at swimming lessons. Filly said, about a friend's 12-14 year old daughter*, something like "Isn't she stunning?"
I reminded her that it would not be appropriate for me to comment.

* She rowed in the female Oxford Vs Cambridge boat race a few years after.
Last edited by Horse on Sat May 13, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:03 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:52 pm
Often with the missus.
* She rowed in the female Oxford Vs Cambridge bat race a few years after.
Night race was it? :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:52 pm I can't reciprocate as you live in a shit hole city.
I hear that a lot from people who don't live here.

You insist how great it is to live on a dead volcano and justify that because you can pop down to the beach and perve at the totty?

Like I said, I'm not a pervert and the idea of gawping at "young ladies" like some creepy old fart is less appealing than you suggest. Actually, the notion makes me feel a little queasy if I'm honest.

I'll be heading off to the Science museum again this month. It's only 20 minutes from here. Later maybe Greenwich, the Natural History museum, one of the dozens of world class art galleries, theatres, cinemas, restaurants. Whenever I feel like it, I can find my own choice of stimulation or entertainment and I can be there before you even have time to wank yourself into a coma..
Plato
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:13 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:52 pm I can't reciprocate as you live in a shit hole city.
I hear that a lot from people who don't live here.

You insist how great it is to live on a dead volcano and justify that because you can pop down to the beach and perve at the totty?

Like I said, I'm not a pervert and the idea of gawping at "young ladies" like some creepy old fart is less appealing than you suggest. Actually, the notion makes me feel a little queasy if I'm honest.

I'll be heading off to the Science museum again this month. It's only 20 minutes from here. Later maybe Greenwich, the Natural History museum, one of the dozens of world class art galleries, theatres, cinemas, restaurants. Whenever I feel like it, I can find my own choice of stimulation or entertainment and I can be there before you even have time to wank yourself into a coma..
Lots of veiled comments about perverts. Wanker.

I've been to "buildings" all over the world. You go there when the weather is shite. Don't have that problem here.

This is a bike forum.

I can ride my road bike here guaranteed 360 days a year.

Enduro bike every week.
Can do 4 hours without touching tarmac from my house.

Just been in the pool. It's a nice 30c.

Too many ignorant wankers deciding what my island is like

But you crack on arguing for England.

:obscene-birdiedoublered:

Or go outside. Doubt it :D
Ant

Post by Ant »

Speaking of dirty old perverts, Labour MP banged up....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/former-mp-ja ... ths-abuse/
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:53 pm Show me some evidence for that.
https://climatechangedispatch.com/wsj-c ... te-change/

https://climatechangedispatch.com/the-g ... e-science/

https://climatechangedispatch.com/media ... -hysteria/

Don't forget that CCD merely links to reports from other sources, which are all listed/cited.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:32 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:53 pm Show me some evidence for that.
https://climatechangedispatch.com/wsj-c ... te-change/

https://climatechangedispatch.com/the-g ... e-science/

https://climatechangedispatch.com/media ... -hysteria/

Don't forget that CCD merely links to reports from other sources, which are all listed/cited.
How can anyone forget Dr. Roy Spencer. One of the most infamous climate change deniers though in fairness, there aren't very many with any real credentials. Sponsored by the coal industry, he's been pumping out fake interpretations of the actual science for decades.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Roy_Spencer
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I couldn't find the report written by a couple of the top modelling programmers.

However....
https://climatechangedispatch.com/el-ni ... e-battery/
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:36 am I couldn't find the report written by a couple of the top modelling programmers.

However....
https://climatechangedispatch.com/el-ni ... e-battery/
Dude. This is a perfect example of news bombing. Same climate change deniers desperate to hide themselves by rebranding but it's the same ship flying a different flag. Within seconds you should spot the "we don't believe in consensus science" and "we are not really the Heartland institute, honest" and at the very least, treat their anti-scientific, extreme views with suspicion.

It DOES relate to my recent post regarding how lies/falsehoods/propaganda and fake news can be more easily spotted but if you want to debate the climate change nonsense they espouse, you should probably take it to own thread where I will be happy to debunk their extreme views.

"Shock. Horror. The oil, gas and coal industry are sponsoring climate change deniers"...This is not "news"
Plato