What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:52 pm We heard a massive explosion earlier. I knew it wasn't thunder and was slightly concerned. Turns out it was a controlled explosion in Camden, of a ww2 bomb! It was fecking loud!! :shock:
They were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!

I heard it completely destroyed Camden Lock....and caused 43p worth of damage. Arf. (The old ones etc...).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:08 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:52 pm We heard a massive explosion earlier. I knew it wasn't thunder and was slightly concerned. Turns out it was a controlled explosion in Camden, of a ww2 bomb! It was fecking loud!! :shock:
I can assure you that there is no such thing as a controlled explosion. :D
Controlled eh? When I'm in storytelling mode again, remind me to recount the time we used Spadeadam (the old Blue Streak test range) to see what happens when a 1000psi high pressure gas grid main explodes. :lol: Or what happens to a large (very) unconstrained volume of natural gas is ignited. Hehe. Big science. :thumbup:

Apparently they still do 'fireworks shows' there. https://www.dnv.com/news/dnv-gl-commiss ... ing-131092
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

Phoned the surgery to make an appointment with my GP. 1 minute 42 seconds later it's all done, pleasantries with receptionist, pleasantries with GP, diagnosis by GP, and course of action decided.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:01 pm Phoned the surgery to make an appointment with my GP. 1 minute 42 seconds later it's all done, pleasantries with receptionist, pleasantries with GP, diagnosis by GP, and course of action decided.
Ah. ChatGPT. :thumbup:
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Count Steer wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:16 pm
cheb wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:01 pm Phoned the surgery to make an appointment with my GP. 1 minute 42 seconds later it's all done, pleasantries with receptionist, pleasantries with GP, diagnosis by GP, and course of action decided.
Ah. ChatGPT. :thumbup:
No, ChatGP :)
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Stripped, ultrasoniclly cleaned and rebuilt a Bing 84 carburettor. New slide as it was worn and new choke plunger as the rubber end had turned goo... The needle and jets were fine but I replaced both the internal filters as they are plastic and were quite brittle.

Now doing JQL queries and producing stats for a 8pm meeting about a massive 0365 tennent to tennent migration at work.
wull

Post by wull »

Rubbed one out at work looking at this

McLaren 720s

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I pass the MCTC on my commute, I try to spy anything good looking in the carpark, but it's all typical commuter stuff.

https://goo.gl/maps/oBKZwXVcrNVXHqMF9
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Best golf club I've seen for tasty motors was a pitch & putt between Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells, conveniently close to the train station and even people with 100k+ motors like to save a few pennies on parking costs.
wull

Post by wull »

There’s a few wealthy folk in the club but the majority of them just run fancy Range Rovers and the likes, nothing that really stands out, this is the best yet, and of course my bike which trumps them all 👀
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:57 pm I pass the MCTC on my commute, I try to spy anything good looking in the carpark, but it's all typical commuter stuff.

https://goo.gl/maps/oBKZwXVcrNVXHqMF9
They always used to have Nissans on the employee scheme, you'd go to the MTC and the car park was full of Jukes :lol:

The tasty stuff is all around the back in a gated car park, for obvious reasons.

"Directors Row" outsiders the front door at Mercedes F1 is an impressive AMG show room.

Best one I've seen though was Christian Horner's Aston, parked right on the pavement outside Red Bull with the numberplate V12 RBR.

P.S. that stuck open wing is a sore point among McLaren quality engineers :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Had a coffee with Trog (if anyone remembers him?), He's doing well.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Is his lad still racing?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:07 pm Is his lad still racing?
On and off, he's at Uni, and mostly racing go-karts and occasionally pit-bikes.
non quod, sed quomodo
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Hand dyno's for grading physio showed up.

Regular hand dyno:
Left hand base # is 94.8lb
Right hand is 38.2lb

The *lemon*:
Left: 76.4lb
Right: 26.9

Obviously can't do much with the right hand until the stitches come out next Tuesday. Lemon grip is different to the other one.

Google:
The average healthy grip strength for men is a squeeze of about 72.6 pounds (Women 44lb)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got a free delivery!

the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Today was a bit of a mare.... took the puppy hound (10 months old now) for a walk in the local woods. Spotted another dog walker with two large greyhounds so changed my route to avoid them. 15 minutes later came around the corner and was right near them. Clipped my dog on the lead, his was on leads already, one was muzzled. We said morning, walked past each other and then his dogs went for mine. The unmuzzled dog clamped onto her rear quarter, I managed to get the dog to release and then the other one jumped into me, knocking me over, so I wrapped my body around my dog and the unmuzzled dog just managed to graze my puppies tummy area. I saw red and just punched the dog on its shoulder very hard and commanded "NO". The dog backed off rather stunned. The owner of the dogs was scratched up from being dragged through the brambles and was apologising. The whole thing took all of 30 seconds of growling, snapping and biting. Thankfully I had on a thicker jacket which protected my arms. Couple of nips to my forehead and hands, but nothing major. I've had tetanus and rabies jabs thanks to travel I did in the past. We are all okay, my puppy has a couple of nips and grazes, but is very shaken. I did of course apologise for hitting his dog. He appreciated that, but also accepted I was defending my puppy.

Made sure the fellow was okay, gave him tissues to wipe his hands as he was bleeding from the bramble scratches. Parted peacefully and amicably. Dogs will be dogs. His younger muzzled one has only just been rescued from being a full time racing dog, so it sees fluffy things as something to hunt. The other one was a couple of years into ownership, but reverted to hunt mode due to the other dogs instincts kicking in. Could have been a lot worse.

Sitting quietly with the hound this morning whilst wife and daughter do haircuts and shopping. Somehow I am rather knackered now!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Taipan wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:28 am Got a free delivery!

That is worth reading you know. To whom else can we turn, you have the words of eternal life (Peter replying to Jesus when asked who he thought he was following).
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

the_priest wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:28 pm Today was a bit of a mare.... took the puppy hound (10 months old now) for a walk in the local woods. Spotted another dog walker with two large greyhounds so changed my route to avoid them. 15 minutes later came around the corner and was right near them. Clipped my dog on the lead, his was on leads already, one was muzzled. We said morning, walked past each other and then his dogs went for mine. The unmuzzled dog clamped onto her rear quarter, I managed to get the dog to release and then the other one jumped into me, knocking me over, so I wrapped my body around my dog and the unmuzzled dog just managed to graze my puppies tummy area. I saw red and just punched the dog on its shoulder very hard and commanded "NO". The dog backed off rather stunned. The owner of the dogs was scratched up from being dragged through the brambles and was apologising. The whole thing took all of 30 seconds of growling, snapping and biting. Thankfully I had on a thicker jacket which protected my arms. Couple of nips to my forehead and hands, but nothing major. I've had tetanus and rabies jabs thanks to travel I did in the past. We are all okay, my puppy has a couple of nips and grazes, but is very shaken. I did of course apologise for hitting his dog. He appreciated that, but also accepted I was defending my puppy.

Made sure the fellow was okay, gave him tissues to wipe his hands as he was bleeding from the bramble scratches. Parted peacefully and amicably. Dogs will be dogs. His younger muzzled one has only just been rescued from being a full time racing dog, so it sees fluffy things as something to hunt. The other one was a couple of years into ownership, but reverted to hunt mode due to the other dogs instincts kicking in. Could have been a lot worse.

Sitting quietly with the hound this morning whilst wife and daughter do haircuts and shopping. Somehow I am rather knackered now!
So glad that you are both ok, all things considered. Sounds like you handled it very well. My dearly departed border terrier, Sage, was attacked one time and it shook us both badly. It took quite some time before we could relax and enjoy the walks we had.

Blimey, typing this has brought her back to me. How I miss her.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

the_priest wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:29 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:28 am Got a free delivery!

That is worth reading you know. To whom else can we turn, you have the words of eternal life (Peter replying to Jesus when asked who he thought he was following).
We can all do with some guidance, whether you believe in Christ or not.