In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mussels

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:12 pm Sneaky anglers get time in prison for cheating.

Fishing cheats net prison sentence over scandal

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65567422

No getting off the hook for them. Felt the full weight of the law. The scales of justice. Ad infinitum.
I want to know why all the other fishermen weren't prosecuted.
They pleaded guilty in March to cheating and unlawful ownership of wild animals.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:20 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:17 pmYou should know which types of authoritarian regimes used such tactics and they are clearly being used right now.
'"Clearly" being used right now'
Since you can't be bothered to think of any actual examples. let me pick your brains with a couple of "facts" you appear to refute with your <unnamed> reliable news source:

The prosecutor in this case (E. Jean Carrol) helped make up this new law i.e. the "adult survivors act"

The very next day, she just happened to pick Trump as one of the most egregious examples of a sex predator from the past two decades.**

There you go. Two easy facts you are dismissing I'm sure your superior news sources can easily debunk.

**A period which includes Epstein (who murdered himself before he could name names, much to Bill Gates relief) and Cuomo. I only pick those two because paradoxically, Kaplan actually defended those reprobates. It is only paradoxical if you ignore the obvious political bias hence I form the opinion it is "clearly" a politically motivated with hunt.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mussels wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:44 pm
They pleaded guilty in March to cheating and unlawful ownership of wild animals.
Them's have some funny wildlife laws, it's illegal to filet a fish until you're back on shore, or the filets could have been from a species that's protected / out of season.

Yes I do watch too much Lone Star Law
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:46 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:37 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:17 pm I stopped watching Fox News when they sacked Tucker Carlson for being too honest. You might want to think about that.
All it says to me is that if a media organisation does something you disagree with they lose your attention and therefore I wonder what happens to those media organisations that don't propagate your particular views.
Then you would be wrong. It is nothing to do with "what" they say it is more about what factual evidence supports their claims.

I lose interest in any media outlet that tells lies. Falsehoods are easy to confirm, truths are more difficult to prove. This is the foundation of science for example. The logic is fairly easy to understand, ask Betrand Russell

Is that wrong of me then?
So until Fox dispensed with Carlson they were telling 'the truth' and had factual evidence to support their claims, so you watched it...then he left and they now they don't tell 'the truth', so you don't watch it. Hmmm. OK.

Next time I see Bertrand Russell I'll ask him. (I have read Principia Mathematica though if it helps).

It's nice that the logic is easy to understand though, even for someone that's not you. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:39 pm Here's another way to look at that factually true spin using "alternate" facts which the media did not want you to know:
Factually true, but 'spin' because it doesn't fit the preferred narrative?

Sheesh :crazy:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:53 pm So until Fox dispensed with Carlson they were telling 'the truth' and had factual evidence to support their claims, so you watched it...then he left and they now they don't tell 'the truth', so you don't watch it. Hmmm. OK.

Next time I see Bertrand Russell I'll ask him. (I have read Principia Mathematica though if it helps).

It's nice that the logic is easy to understand though, even for someone that's not you. :lol:
Wow.

So logic is not your strong point then...Makes me wonder how much of the Principia you actually understood.

I said "I stopped watching Fox News when they sacked Tucker Carlson for being too honest."

In a further comment I said "I lose interest in any media outlet that tells lies."

You actually quote me.

From which you deduce the above. Your attempt at an insult looks rather pathetic now doesn't it or do I really need to explain the glaring flaws in your attempt to follow such simple logic?
Plato
irie

Post by irie »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:34 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65572257

I read this hoping to mock the pious twat, but £500 for 5mph over the speed limit is ridiculous, and who exactly is the victim that there's a £120 surcharge for?
God knows.

Oh.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:51 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:53 pm So until Fox dispensed with Carlson they were telling 'the truth' and had factual evidence to support their claims, so you watched it...then he left and they now they don't tell 'the truth', so you don't watch it. Hmmm. OK.

Wow.

So logic is not your strong point then...Makes me wonder how much of the Principia you actually understood.

I said "I stopped watching Fox News when they sacked Tucker Carlson for being too honest."

In a further comment I said "I lose interest in any media outlet that tells lies."

You actually quote me.

From which you deduce the above. Your attempt at an insult looks rather pathetic now doesn't it or do I really need to explain the glaring flaws in your attempt to follow such simple logic?
Bet your sh1t smells of roses. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:43 pm Easy, you don't ever answer any of the questions or comment on my opinion, merely suggest Screwdriver must be wrong because he must be relying on Fox News. If I could be arsed, I'd quote you doing exactly that.
I regularly answer your questions or comment on your opinion. No, I don't have time to respond to every single point you make in every post, especially as they're often densely packed with dubious statements. This isn't a veiled insult, there's really not enough time in the day.

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:46 pmErr, you guessed wrong and if you could tear yourself away from your own confirmation bias and merely read what I wrote above, you'd see why you are wrong.
Confirmation bias? I said you presumably watch Fox news. You said you did until Carlson was sacked which was literally 2 weeks ago. So, in other words, I'm completely right, with the caveat that the last few days have been an exception.

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:43 pmAwesome. Do tell. Which is your valued source that never lies?
You clearly didn't read anything I wrote. There is no single source of truth. Reading a wide variety of sources, and understanding their particular biases and trustworthiness, will give the best impression of 'the truth'. As well you know. Obviously, how you allocate trustworthiness is subjective, but that's as good as it gets. It's an imperfect world.

But yes, I believe that reading multiple sources, including generally more reliable ones, is going to be significantly better than relying on a single source that by its own admission can't be taken seriously.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:55 pm Since you can't be bothered to think of any actual examples. let me pick your brains with a couple of "facts" you appear to refute with your <unnamed> reliable news source:

The prosecutor in this case (E. Jean Carrol) helped make up this new law i.e. the "adult survivors act"

The very next day, she just happened to pick Trump as one of the most egregious examples of a sex predator from the past two decades.**

There you go. Two easy facts you are dismissing I'm sure your superior news sources can easily debunk.
OK, a few points here.

1. Nobody 'makes up' new laws. You sound like Tucker Carlson himself now, in full demonic fascist-frowny-rant mode. The classic Fox/far-right technique of taking something mundane and using language to insinuate evil intent that doesn't exist. Can we settle on laws being 'passed' rather than 'made up'?

2. Was Carroll instrumental in passing this new law? Genuine question. I couldn't find any reference to this whatsoever, but am happy to read anything that there is. As Horse posted earlier, the law was based on a previous law regarding child abuse and several people are referenced in working towards it, but I've looked and failed to find any connection with Carroll to it whatsoever. Happy to learn more. But even if she did, I'm not sure how that's a negative... her point was that she wanted to sue someone for rape and US law has a strict statute of limitation that she wanted to change. Why wouldn't she campaign against it? If she did, good for her.

3. The day after it was passed, Carroll sued Trump. Well, yes. I mentioned this myself much earlier. In the context of her having a law available to her to try and get a legal resolution to her case. This isn't bias, I have no idea whether he was guilty or not any more than you do, I'm just stating the facts. Rehashing them with, again, a Carlsoneque evil overtone doesn't change anything. She sued Trump as soon as it was legally viable, yes. We're agreed.

4. Carroll 'just happened to pick Trump'?? What does that even mean? Her case is that Trump raped her. What are you suggesting? She would pick some other random person? For what reason? Yes, she sued the person she'd accused of raping her. I think your statement here is so weird as to be bordering on a bit unhinged.

So, in summary. Two facts 'I'm dismissing'. One that I'd already brought up myself before as a fact, that you even responded to, and one that I can find no evidence of whatsoever, but would happily agree on if true. But is no way a negative. Or, to put it another way, two 'facts' that I've not even hinted at dismissing in any form at all.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:53 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:43 pm Easy, you don't ever answer any of the questions or comment on my opinion, merely suggest Screwdriver must be wrong because he must be relying on Fox News. If I could be arsed, I'd quote you doing exactly that.
I regularly answer your questions or comment on your opinion. No, I don't have time to respond to every single point you make in every post, especially as they're often densely packed with dubious statements. This isn't a veiled insult, there's really not enough time in the day.
Here you are not answering the question relating to whether or not you can be bothered to answer the question by saying "I don't have time to respond to every single point" which I translate into "you can't be bothered to answer the question". A great example of dodging the issue with a hand waving non specific reference to "dubious statements". Again. If you could take the time to specifically indicate which "dubious statement" you refer to we could have a conversation. Instead you take the time to say you don't have the time...
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:46 pmErr, you guessed wrong and if you could tear yourself away from your own confirmation bias and merely read what I wrote above, you'd see why you are wrong.
Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:53 pmConfirmation bias? I said you presumably watch Fox news. You said you did until Carlson was sacked which was literally 2 weeks ago. So, in other words, I'm completely right, with the caveat that the last few days have been an exception.
FANTASTIC! No. You actually said:
Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:09 pm You need to stop relying on Fox as a single source of 'news' and thinking it's real.
In other words, you are telling me my source is "Fox News" which has become a trope in this forum. Rather than answer a specific point, people invariably use the old "Fox News" response as if 1. the information had in fact been gathered from Fox, 2. therefore it must be wrong and 3. ergo, it is not worth replying to the point being made.

You made this response after I had made it clear I had seen an interview from CNN! You and others on this forum constantly tell me I am using Fox News as my source when I have made no mention of doing so. Since it has been said so often, it is clear that you and others believe it must be true.

That is of course the very definition of confirmation bias. Screwdriver says something which contradicts the mainstream media narrative, therefore he got it off Fox News.
Plato
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Fuck me. The level of stupidity in here is breathtaking. 4 usual suspects
I popped in by mistake.

It's a fight to the death. No chance of a winner :D
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:36 pm Here you are not answering the question relating to whether or not you can be bothered to answer the question by saying "I don't have time to respond to every single point" which I translate into "you can't be bothered to answer the question". A great example of dodging the issue with a hand waving non specific reference to "dubious statements". Again. If you could take the time to specifically indicate which "dubious statement" you refer to we could have a conversation. Instead you take the time to say you don't have the time...
It's getting late. I'm a bottle of wine down. I didn't understand any of that. If you could just tell me what question I'm supposed to respond to then I will.

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:46 pm In other words, you are telling me my source is "Fox News" which has become a trope in this forum. Rather than answer a specific point, people invariably use the old "Fox News" response as if 1. the information had in fact been gathered from Fox, 2. therefore it must be wrong and 3. ergo, it is not worth replying to the point being made.
Also you said earlier
Screwdriver wrote:I stopped watching Fox News when they sacked Tucker Carlson
Which, as I just said, was two weeks ago. Ergo, and correct me if I'm wrong, you did watch Fox News. Not sure what your point is. I say (jokingly as it goes, because I didn't expect anyone to admit to this) 'oh, you must watch Fox News'. You reply with, effectively, yes, until recently. And then follow with a barage of defence that you don't. And yes, of course people doubt its veracity if anything comes from there. Like I say, by their own admission they shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not 'news', it's nasty, vicious racist, far-right rhetoric and lies that's cost them dearly recently.

Screwdriver wrote:You and others on this forum constantly tell me I am using Fox News as my source when I have made no mention of doing so.
Er, see above. It's this actual thread, dude, it's this evening! You've come over all trumpian and think that denying stuff you're on record as saying suddenly doesn't count. It doesn't work like that.

Screwdriver wrote:Screwdriver says something which contradicts the mainstream media narrative, therefore he got it off Fox News.
Ugh, this is getting tiresome. No... Screwdriver says something which is stupid, full of holes, lies and insane conspiracy theories, easily disproven and generally a bit wacky. Yes, he probably got it off of Fox News. By your own admission. Though I think this Fox thing is becoming an irrelevant sideline you need to let go.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:49 pm 4 usual suspects
Without knowing which people you count in that list it's hard to know how to respond :)

Yorick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:49 pm It's a fight to the death. No chance of a winner :D
This much is evidently true. By everyone's admission I'm sure.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:10 pm 1234
1. Roberta Kaplan was personally involved in the creation (!) of this new law which allows allegations to be made decades after an alleged event is claimed to have occurred.

https://19thnews.org/2021/08/times-up-l ... -response/

She is also the lawyer representing her client (Carroll) in this case.

2. Not Carroll (the plaintiff) but her lawyer Kaplan. (I will have to go back and make sure I didn't swap the names over when I first mentioned this "coincidence"). As you might be able to tell from her own history (above link), Kaplan hasn't always been championing women who complain of sexual assault. Quite the opposite when it comes to political affiliation.

3. Indeed she did. Almost as if she had been pursuing the passing of this law specifically to go after Trump. Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest otherwise? She was boasting about it on CNN the next day...

4. Well the facts speak for themselves. The day after the law was passed, Kaplan pursued a case against Trump. I make an ironic comment that she "just happened to pick Trump" as the first use for this somewhat unprecedented "window of opportunity" (a direct quote from Kaplan).
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:49 pm Fuck me. The level of stupidity in here is breathtaking.
It just went up exponentially.
Plato
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:29 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:49 pm Fuck me. The level of stupidity in here is breathtaking.
You spend hours and hours in here arguing to the death.
It must make you very proud.
Well done 👏
You're like a fucking rabid dog.

Arguing is for losers.

Go outside. Smile

:)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm It's getting late. I'm a bottle of wine down. I didn't understand any of that. If you could just tell me what question I'm supposed to respond to then I will.
If you don't know what the question is, why do you insist on telling me I am wrong? Guess you just have auto wrong enabled, aka confirmation bias.
Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm Also you said earlier
Screwdriver wrote:I stopped watching Fox News when they sacked Tucker Carlson
Which, as I just said, was two weeks ago. Ergo, and correct me if I'm wrong, you did watch Fox News. Not sure what your point is. I say (jokingly as it goes, because I didn't expect anyone to admit to this) 'oh, you must watch Fox News'. You reply with, effectively, yes, until recently. And then follow with a barage of defence that you don't. And yes, of course people doubt its veracity if anything comes from there. Like I say, by their own admission they shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not 'news', it's nasty, vicious racist, far-right rhetoric and lies that's cost them dearly recently.
I have watched it in the past, specifically to catch Tucker Carlson who I personally rate because he clearly is happy to speak his own mind.

That does not mean everything I say is parroting Fox News ffs. If I make an observation you disagree with, just ask where I found any evidence for my opinion.
Screwdriver wrote:You and others on this forum constantly tell me I am using Fox News as my source when I have made no mention of doing so.
Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm Er, see above. It's this actual thread, dude, it's this evening! You've come over all trumpian and think that denying stuff you're on record as saying suddenly doesn't count. It doesn't work like that.
Err, back at ya, just because I have watched Fox does not mean 1. I believe anything/everything on that channel 2. that the specific comment I might make has ever even appeared on that channel.

Is that really so difficult to understand so soon after you reveal you also pick and mix from a variety of sources? Instead you chop up a post to make it appear as if I am saying I sourced a news item from Fox when in the very post you carefully edit to prove your point, I actually state it is NOT the source.
Screwdriver wrote:Screwdriver says something which contradicts the mainstream media narrative, therefore he got it off Fox News.
Slenver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm Ugh, this is getting tiresome. No... Screwdriver says something which is. Yes, he probably got it off of Fox News. By your own admission. Though I think this Fox thing is becoming an irrelevant sideline you need to let go.
General handwaving rhetorical bollocks. Give me a SPECIFIC example of "stupid, full of holes, lies and insane conspiracy theories, easily disproven and generally a bit wacky".

NAME ONE!

FFS.

It's the same old nonsense. You cast aspersions without naming a single example of a comment you claim proves I am deserving of such insulting, illogical rhetoric.

For anyone wondering how this is "news" I would suggest this is what "news" has become. A wilderness of mirrors...
Last edited by Screwdriver on Sat May 13, 2023 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:29 pm
You spend hours and hours in here arguing to the death.
It must make you very proud.
Well done 👏
You're like a fucking rabid dog.

Arguing is for losers.

Go outside. Smile

:)
Maybe I should pop down to the beach and leer at some lovely ladies.
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:44 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:12 pm Sneaky anglers get time in prison for cheating.

Fishing cheats net prison sentence over scandal

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65567422

No getting off the hook for them. Felt the full weight of the law. The scales of justice. Ad infinitum.
I want to know why all the other fishermen weren't prosecuted.
Fisherthem.