In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

Noggin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am This, the bit in bold, is basically what I was trying to write. I don't do kind stuff cos there's someone 'up there' that I need to impress. I try to live in a way to cause minimum (ideally no) hurt to others whilst being as kind as I can be. Not cos I might end up with wings and a halo, just cos, why wouldn't you?
Yes, I saw that. I think you probably went too far with "the way Americans use God" being despicable. Some clearly are (gospel moneymaking scams for example) but I don't think you can tar all of America with the same brush when it comes to some people using religion as a scapegoat.

The problem (which I know I keep banging on about) is that we really don't get to see an average snapshot of a culture or even the "mean" or "median" version. All we get to see remotely is the media narrative. While a video of someone saying something is inherently a "true" report of an event or occurrence, all you are really seeing is a subselection of a much longer incident made by a "reporter" for the purposes of presenting whatever narrative that reporter wants you to believe.

A much deeper issue is that the human mind is weak. So if the mainstream media keep knocking out the same rubbish, even if you know it not to be true, it will still have an effect. This is how advertising works and why "soap operas" are popular. It's not really because you either agree or accept what you're being told. It's not because you are interested in the daily lives of a random group of Australians (even if one of them is Kyle Minogue) it is because you see it so often...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Only in America

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65489605

FFS. The world is full of wankers.

Glad I live away from that shit. Walk the dog. Nap. Bit of work.
Eat. Swim. Chat. Sleep.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yorick wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:12 pm Only in America

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65489605

FFS. The world is full of wankers.

Glad I live away from that shit. Walk the dog. Nap. Bit of work.
Eat. Swim. Chat. Sleep.
Could be worse.. ya could be in Mexico, but the media ignores the killing that goes on there because it doesn't fit the narrative
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:08 am
Could be worse.. ya could be in Mexico, but the media ignores the killing that goes on there because it doesn't fit the narrative
I've a Mexican friend on Facebook. He posts a lot of stuff about missing people, mainly young girls, that vanish and are never heard from again.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:56 am I've a Mexican friend on Facebook. He posts a lot of stuff about missing people, mainly young girls, that vanish and are never heard from again.
My sister went there for a holiday this year. The day she left there were two bodies found on the hotel grounds & more recently another 8 showed up in the same place.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:02 pm
Pirahna wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:56 am I've a Mexican friend on Facebook. He posts a lot of stuff about missing people, mainly young girls, that vanish and are never heard from again.
My sister went there for a holiday this year. The day she left there were two bodies found on the hotel grounds & more recently another 8 showed up in the same place.
I finished my cycle ride in 2017 at a border crossing called Antelope Wells and stood there staring into Mexico. It's about 100k from there to Agua Prieta on the Mexican side, stop overnight then cross into Douglas the next day and ride up to Tombstone and on toTuscon. It's easy on a bicycle, everyone thinks you're penniless and generally leaves you alone. I hadn't really prepped for a Mexican detour and turned around and rode back the way I'd come. Maybe next time.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 pm I finished my cycle ride in 2017 at a border crossing called Antelope Wells and stood there staring into Mexico. It's about 100k from there to Agua Prieta on the Mexican side, stop overnight then cross into Douglas the next day and ride up to Tombstone and on toTuscon. It's easy on a bicycle, everyone thinks you're penniless and generally leaves you alone. I hadn't really prepped for a Mexican detour and turned around and rode back the way I'd come. Maybe next time.
My parents liked it so much they visited Mexico three times in one day, altho tbf, two of the visits were unintentional.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Trump verdicts are in. He's not guilty of rape, but guilty of sexual abuse/battery & defamation. $2M Compensation.
Edit: $5M
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:12 pm Trump verdicts are in. He's not guilty of rape, but guilty of sexual abuse/battery & defamation. $2M Compensation.
Was there any evidence/independent witnesses or was it just her word against his?
irie

Post by irie »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-65502076
Donald Trump sexually abused and defamed writer E Jean Carroll, a New York jury finds in civil case.

But the former president was cleared of rape over the alleged assault in a department store in the 1990s.

The jury awarded the writer almost $5m in damages for the battery and defamation charges
No doubt will go to appeal ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:31 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:12 pm Trump verdicts are in. He's not guilty of rape, but guilty of sexual abuse/battery & defamation. $2M Compensation.
Was there any evidence/independent witnesses or was it just her word against his?
"Defamation is a false statement"

Presumably someone heard/read that statement.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

It was a civil case, not a criminal case.

I should imagine that if someone was abused etc, they'd want criminal action, rather than file a civil case only.

I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with that a civil case uses balance of probability rather than actual evidence and always ends up in financial pay outs.....
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

irie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:42 pm No doubt will go to appeal ...
Already filed.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:31 pm Was there any evidence/independent witnesses or was it just her word against his?
Her word, Theory is he stepped on his dick by not appearing in person & only gave a deposition... Plus some of his own comments didn't do him any favors.
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:39 am
Mussels wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:31 pm Was there any evidence/independent witnesses or was it just her word against his?
Her word.
For the defamation?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:38 am
Her word.
For the defamation?
What I find confusing is the jury believed her for part of it but not the rest, so she is a partially reliable witness?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:56 am
Horse wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:38 am

Her word.
For the defamation?
What I find confusing is the jury believed her for part of it but not the rest, so she is a partially reliable witness?
Or like the Scottish 'Not Proven'?

I suppose, for perjury, there would have to be proof that she lied in court?
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Her word, Theory is he stepped on his dick by not appearing in person & only gave a deposition... Plus some of his own comments didn't do him any favors.
She also had witnesses at the trial so not quite her word against his!
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Ant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:24 pm I should imagine that if someone was abused etc, they'd want criminal action, rather than file a civil case only.

I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with that a civil case uses balance of probability rather than actual evidence and always ends up in financial pay outs.....
There's no choice in the matter. You can't file a criminal suit after 5 years have passed, which was well over 20 years ago.

Obviously anyone could argue that she could've done this at the time, but I think it's well understood that women often don't report sexual attacks, especially back in the day, and especially when they're against famous people with powerful voices and legal teams.

A law was recently introduced that allowed people to file civil suits for sexual attacks that happened in the past. She did that on the day it came out.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Heard him on the radio this morning with his usual style of quote..."it's the most unfair trial in the history of trials" etc.

Probably would have been slightly fairer if he'd turned up :lol: