Post by Yambo »

Fuckin' vapers!
KungFooBob

Re: In todays news...

Post by KungFooBob »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The next question should be 'So why does your almightly god hate Americans so much?'
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:17 pm
The next question should be 'So why does your almightly god hate Americans so much?'
They obviously just didn’t pray hard enough.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He's not wrong though.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yambo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:02 amFuckin' vapers!
Yeah, they're turning Japanese
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:39 pm
Yambo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:02 amFuckin' vapers!
Yeah, they're turning Japanese
You really think so?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

You won't find anything other than criticism of Republican/Christian views on mainstream media. Naturally they will spin such comments as being naive or ridiculous.

The other way to look at what he is saying is that these violent perpetrators of crime are godless heathens. Driven insane with a mental illness largely being spread by the godless left wing media who like nothing more than to stir up trouble.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Screw'd you should ask Weeksy if he'll change your user name to Devils Advocate, he did it for Cheesy.
cheb

Post by cheb »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:15 pm Screw'd you should ask Weeksy if he'll change your user name to Devils Advocate, he did it for Cheesy.
No he didn't, other wise Devil's Advocate would already be in use as a username.

Should I have mine changed to Mr Logic or contrary bastard?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:12 pm
You won't find anything other than criticism of Republican/Christian views on mainstream media. Naturally they will spin such comments as being naive or ridiculous.

The other way to look at what he is saying is that these violent perpetrators of crime are godless heathens. Driven insane with a mental illness largely being spread by the godless left wing media who like nothing more than to stir up trouble.
God would control the godless heathens, therefore God made the godless heathen kill honest god fearing folk. They must have an old testament god over there.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:39 pm God would control the godless heathens, therefore God made the godless heathen kill honest god fearing folk. They must have an old testament god over there.
It is not really a question of religious belief or doctrine, it is more about what an individuals belief system is or frankly, whether or not they even have one. That would include morality of course and at least some respect for sanctity of life.

Where would a "non religious" person absorb such morality? Where would they acquire any sort of belief system? I would suggest that is now under the direct control of the mainstream media, big tech and social media. It is no accident that the entire education system is effectively under attack from left wing liberalist nonsense.

Teacher walks into a classroom in a posh girls school. "Morning girls". You're fired!

NHS now refers to mothers as "birthing persons" just in case they risk offending some bloke who is himself offending nature.

There are a trillion such examples of lunacy and it's easy for "us" to see but consider what it is like for this generation growing up in this heavily censored "Big Brother" environment. Speak your mind but only if it complies with our narrative, else you will be punished.
Plato
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:50 pm It is no accident that the entire education system is effectively under attack from left wing liberalist nonsense.
Recent Conservative governments have done a good job of screwing UK schooling.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:15 pm Screw'd you should ask Weeksy if he'll change your user name to Devils Advocate, he did it for Cheesy.
Cheesey is now Devil's advocate? :shock:

I can't keep up.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:50 pm
Where would a "non religious" person absorb such morality? Where would they acquire any sort of belief system?
The same way they always have. As an evolutionary by-product.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:15 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:50 pm
Where would a "non religious" person absorb such morality? Where would they acquire any sort of belief system?
The same way they always have. As an evolutionary by-product.
Actually it was a rhetorical question which I answer later in that post.

This generation is not growing up in a jungle relying on some mythical inbuilt value system. They grow up in this new, fully network connected environment with extreme manipulation of the mass media. On top of that there are cultural tensions from displaced/immigrant communities and a general trend in poor parenting leading to this generation relying entirely on the equally lunatic education system.
Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

wheelnut wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:28 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:17 pm
They obviously just didn’t pray hard enough.

The Texas Rangers (ok, Walker of the Texas Rangers) had something to say about that - "You can't just sit down and pray to God and expect him to sort things for you, you have to pray AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SITUATION" :1 :1

FFS, have these Americans never seen Texas Rangers????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

But seriously. I do so fucking hate people that blame God or use God as the reason for things. Especially bad things. (And when I say hate, it isn't all encompassing because I just can't care enough about them). It's an excuse for not actually DOING something to sort out a problem. Or not accepting that sometimes bad things happen and we just have to pull together to help with the aftermath (earthquakes etc).

I rarely talk about religion because it is an emotive subject for many. I have a lot of respect for people that believe AND are good people with that (as well as The Priest, I have another friend that is a priest who I met when we worked in a pub!!!). I still don't talk religion with them because I feel it is disrespectful to tell them I do not believe in the same thing or even that there is a thing (Hopefully The Priest will understand why I'm posting this!!)

I despise those that are fuckwits all week and go to church on Sunday to get forgiven for their sins :roll: :roll: :angry-cussingblack: Product of a Catholic school as a non-Catholic, NI grandparent and seeing the local vicar being a fuckwit all week in the pub I worked in then standing in front of the congregation on Sunday saying "YOU must repent your sins" - Oh ok, so cos you have a pretty white collar on, you don't have to??

But the way the Americans* 'use' religion is just dispicable :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

I was brought up Church of England and we went to church every week, sang in the choir, even did bell-ringing. But from a very young age I could see people feeling pious because they went to church every week, but not being kind or even nice on the other 6 days of the week. I don't consider myself religious anymore. But I do believe that people can and should be kind to each other - surely that is all that is needed? Living where I do, I am surrounded by geography that makes me as a human feel small and insignificant, but so damn lucky to be here and able to enjoy this life (I'm also lucky to have found a group of internet strangers that are generally lovely and exceptionally kind!!). Maybe modern life has taken some of that feeling away? Or just humans have developed to be fuckwits overall??

I do spend a lot of time in confusion because of how people in the world behave!! One of the big reasons I avoid reading/listening to/watching the news!! It just makes me sad :( :(

*other nationalities can be added where necessary
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Who's to say God isn't working in the minds and hearts of people advocating gun control? Or those advocating mental health support and social/welfare services.

To quote family guy:

What's the point in praying to God if you're just gonna wipe your butt with his answers?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

It is less about "God" than it is cultural iconography. In America currently the media are creating cultural icons so as to suggest "this is your spiritual guide". People like Dylan Mulvaney, a man who decided he was really a woman. He has been feted by the Whitehouse(!) and paraded by the mainstream media/social as an example of the ideal woman. He has also celebrated his "300 days as a woman" while simultaneously prancing around in a tiny skirt also pretending to be a six year old child". The chap clearly has a sexual fetish and very strange notions about what a woman is.

He was also used in an advertising campaign for Bud Light (which didn't go so well).

A wry observation I saw was made by some redneck social influencer who pointed out his mother had "been a woman for 24 thousand days and she hasn't been invited to the Whitehouse. "The virgin Mary was a woman and she gave birth to Jesus." My paraphrase.

How this relates to what some Senator was suggesting regards the godless nature of some of these violent perpetrators, I don't know. I assume he was making a similar observation and it is all too easy to paraphrase what someone says or take a snippet of their comment out of context. That happens to me in this forum ALL THE TIME. it is a cheap trick and really annoying incidentally.

So am I advocating for God, for prayer and for indoctrination into Christianity? No. I have no faith but I do have a set of morals which broadly align with Christian views. My favourite excerpt from one of my own "cultural icons" Jordan Peterson is when he was asked bluntly "do you believe in God" to which he replied "I don't know yet but meanwhile I prefer to act as if I do".
Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am
So am I advocating for God, for prayer and for indoctrination into Christianity? No. I have no faith but I do have a set of morals which broadly align with Christian views. My favourite excerpt from one of my own "cultural icons" Jordan Peterson is when he was asked bluntly "do you believe in God" to which he replied "I don't know yet but meanwhile I prefer to act as if I do".
This, the bit in bold, is basically what I was trying to write. I don't do kind stuff cos there's someone 'up there' that I need to impress. I try to live in a way to cause minimum (ideally no) hurt to others whilst being as kind as I can be. Not cos I might end up with wings and a halo, just cos, why wouldn't you?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: