The ubiquitous 'GS'

Anything you like about motorbikes

Have you ever owned a BMW 'GS' model of motorcycle?

Yes
47%
No
21%
Fuck No
18%
Do I look like I smell of piss?
13%

Total votes: 38

KungFooBob

Re: The ubiquitous 'GS'

Post by KungFooBob »

I remembered I needed to tax mine at the end of April, tired to do it online and it's told me the MOT is out... so I'm now at the MOT station, hoping I can get it done and home before it rains.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:23 pm I remembered I needed to tax mine at the end of April, tired to do it online and it's told me the MOT is out... so I'm now at the MOT station, hoping I can get it done and home before it rains.
I've managed to offset the tax and MOT dates so the tax comes up at least a month before the MOT, but this year i mistimed it ...MOT runs out tomorrow, bit couldn't get a booking until Friday. D'oh!
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:14 am I've only ridden mine twice without a pillion.

I only really notice the extra weight at junctions. Makes no difference when moving.
Most of the miles on mine were 2-up+luggage* and I'd rather do that on a substantial bike than a little one tbh. (Then the passenger makes less difference :D ).

*Dunno about riding to the nearest bik-ey place and posing. We rode to Germany to get the luggage fitted on ours. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:25 pm ...no colour display...
[retches uncontrollably]
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I imagine regarding pillions, the gs is up there with the best of them, but for me, riding with a pillion always changes the ride, whatever bike your on. Usually needing to be a bit steadier stopping and going and more care parking up. More care in general I suppose.
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:04 pm. More care in general I suppose.
Nah, fuck em. You're doing it right when their legs are under your armpits and they are screaming for their dear life :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Supermofo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:30 pm You're doing it right when their legs are under your armpits and they are screaming for their dear life
I hope not, that means I've lost my topbox!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Both the 1100 and the 1150. Out of the two, I much preferred the 1100.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Interesting poll, 27 responses and nearly half have owned a GS.

That's 13 of us that either did or currently do stink of piss.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

It's been the best selling bike in the UK for years, hasn't it?
Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm Interesting poll, 27 responses and nearly half have owned a GS.

Ahem. Never owned GS, but owned 6 other Beemers

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I went through a period of lusting after one but could never decide if it was my idea or a sort of "fad" which led up to the "Long Way Round" thing." Interesting side note, my name was put forwards as a potential camera/tech for the series...

I just loved the look of the "full house" version which looked like a weapons delivery system. Probably horrific to actually ride on the dirt but you'd look great doing it until it fell on your leg.

Saw a Triumph <something something> 1200 stripped down in a workshop yesterday. It really looked awesome in a very functional way. Dirt bike version but ideal for the Mad Max style post apocalypse world or "London" as we typically refer to it.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm Interesting poll, 27 responses and nearly half have owned a GS.

Current.
Yamaha rocket 3
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

ChrisW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:50 pm It's been the best selling bike in the UK for years, hasn't it?
and most frequently dropped while parking :P
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:30 pm Nah, fuck em. You're doing it right when their legs are under your armpits and they are screaming for their dear life :thumbup:
Unfortunately, I went off the back so hard and so fast, I took the rider - my brother - off with me.

Since the bike was still on fast idle, it carried on for a good 100 metres before it mounted the pavement and crashed into a lamp post.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Docca

Post by Docca »

Rode an 1150 across Australia.

It was ok. Did everything well enough. Wasn’t actually that comfortable around cities. Also, my legs aren’t very long so every now and again I found myself getting light headed from the circulation being cut off.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Things I like about my GSA - it's a pussy cat once rolling, the vastness of it, miles between petrol stops, hazard warning lights.

Things I hate about my GSA - the vastness of it especially when filtering in London in a heat wave, the cost of fueling up, those fucking stupid indicator switches.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

When I had my rockster a mini cab driver jumped a red light and drove right into the side of me. If it hadn't been for the cylinder sticking out I dread to think what a mess it would have made of my leg/ankle/foot!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:31 am When I had my rockster a mini cab driver jumped a red light and drove right into the side of me. If it hadn't been for the cylinder sticking out I dread to think what a mess it would have made of my leg/ankle/foot!
I had a near identical thing happen with mine the say I picked it up!
Some old bag in Braintree drove straight in to the right cylinder head, made a mess of her bumper - not that she was even aware she'd hit me only me shouting at her through her open window :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:31 am When I had my rockster a mini cab driver jumped a red light and drove right into the side of me. If it hadn't been for the cylinder sticking out I dread to think what a mess it would have made of my leg/ankle/foot!
A good reminder of a BeDubya tale.

He was riding to work on one of his R60s, when someone's driving offended him. So he stopped alongside to give the driver polite information and advice.

IIRC "What is it, 'kill a motorcyclist day' or something?"

Driver decided that a face to face conversation would be more convivial, so opened the driver's door.

Bang! Into the cylinder head. BeDubya just leant the bike slightly left, and waited.

Obviously, the door wouldn't open far, so it needed a harder push. And another, and another. Each announced by a further Bang!

Eventually BeDubya decided to continue on.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: