The ubiquitous 'GS'

Anything you like about motorbikes

Have you ever owned a BMW 'GS' model of motorcycle?

Yes
47%
No
21%
Fuck No
18%
Do I look like I smell of piss?
13%

Total votes: 38

Mr. Dazzle

Re: The ubiquitous 'GS'

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm still a bit annoyed I didn't make Couchie an offer for his.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Had a 1200 then a 1250 that’s going in a couple of weeks.

Loved mine, 135 bhp and enough torque to climb a cliff it’s a much underrated bike.

Surprisingly good handling too especially on decent road tyres. It can be chucked about with the best.

A bit of a dilemma on mine, solo it’s great but 2 up it’s simply too top heavy. The dilemma is if I was riding purely solo I wouldn’t have a GS in the first place. I bought it for the pillion capacity.

The engine/ gearbox takes a bit of getting used to but the torque makes up for that.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

When i bought Rockster 3 i very nearly bought an 1150GS that Vines had in. I test rode both and they only thing really different was that the GS riding position made me slouch too much and i could see it kiling my back.
The Rockster had 10x less mileage and was £2,500 cheaper, and in better condition, and a year newer.... so it was a no brainer to carry on with Rocksters. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

Rockburner wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:58 am When i bought Rockster 3 i very nearly bought an 1150GS that Vines had in. I test rode both and they only thing really different was that the GS riding position made me slouch too much and i could see it kiling my back.
The Rockster had 10x less mileage and was £2,500 cheaper, and in better condition, and a year newer.... so it was a no brainer to carry on with Rocksters. :D
The Rockster looks a ton better than those horrid GS barnacles too. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Skub wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:02 am
Rockburner wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:58 am When i bought Rockster 3 i very nearly bought an 1150GS that Vines had in. I test rode both and they only thing really different was that the GS riding position made me slouch too much and i could see it kiling my back.
The Rockster looks a ton better than those horrid GS barnacles too. 8-)
Funny really because there's not a lot of difference between them, the GS just has longer travel suspension (pretty much).
Looks-wise i don't really care, that's for other people to worry about.
non quod, sed quomodo
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

v8-powered wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:10 am Nearest I've came was an R1150R Rockster, one of the few bikes I regret selling along with my 5VY R1 and RSV1000R Factory.

First impressions I hated it but within a few miles really bonded with it….
That’s not an unusual story. They do take a few miles to get used to for the first time. The telelever front end can feel ‘odd’ with a slightly dead feeling at times. Easily made up for with the lack of dive under braking.

The engines are an absolute peach, oodles of torque to fire you out of corners.

They are a bit of a pain to handball about but once you’re moving the weight disappears.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:04 am
Skub wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:02 am The Rockster looks a ton better than those horrid GS barnacles too. 8-)
Funny really because there's not a lot of difference between them, the GS just has longer travel suspension (pretty much).
Looks-wise i don't really care, that's for other people to worry about.
My preference was always the R over GS.

Partly because GS seats are too high and bars too wide :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:11 am
v8-powered wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:10 am First impressions I hated it but within a few miles really bonded with it….
That’s not an unusual story. They do take a few miles to get used to for the first time.
*cough* original type flappy indicator switches? *cough* :D They take a couple of days ...
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Horse wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:19 am *cough* original type flappy indicator switches? *cough* :D They take a couple of days ...
They were brilliant - it was a poor day when they changed to the standard way.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:11 am
v8-powered wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:10 am Nearest I've came was an R1150R Rockster, one of the few bikes I regret selling along with my 5VY R1 and RSV1000R Factory.

First impressions I hated it but within a few miles really bonded with it….
That’s not an unusual story. They do take a few miles to get used to for the first time. The telelever front end can feel ‘odd’ with a slightly dead feeling at times. Easily made up for with the lack of dive under braking.

The engines are an absolute peach, oodles of torque to fire you out of corners.

They are a bit of a pain to handball about but once you’re moving the weight disappears.
It was the first big handful.of throttle I gave it and yanked me to the other side of the road, didn't expect that :D
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I wasn't a great GS fan, a mate gave me a ride on a 1200 and I hated it, just didn't like it one little bit for some reason. I had a couple of old RT airheads so was a bit surprised. Went to have a ride on another a few years ago but fell in love with the K12 on sight and bought it instead.

Fast forward another 3 years and I needed a big trailie, another mate had bought an 1150GS with a minor oil leak and in typical fashion, had practically rebuilt it from front to back, I took a test ride around where he lives which is all shit roads and I fell in love with the thing. That was a year ago and it hasn't missed a beat since. I bought a second set of 17 inch wheels and it can take everything I throw at it. It's tank off road but it's a great road bike.

Having the K12 meant I was used to the funny front end and the indicator switches, which quite frankly are brilliant.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:47 am I wasn't a great GS fan, a mate gave me a ride on a 1200 and I hated it, just didn't like it one little bit for some reason. I had a couple of old RT airheads so was a bit surprised. Went to have a ride on another a few years ago but fell in love with the K12 on sight and bought it instead.

Fast forward another 3 years and I needed a big trailie, another mate had bought an 1150GS with a minor oil leak and in typical fashion, had practically rebuilt it from front to back, I took a test ride around where he lives which is all shit roads and I fell in love with the thing. That was a year ago and it hasn't missed a beat since. I bought a second set of 17 inch wheels and it can take everything I throw at it. It's tank off road but it's a great road bike.

Having the K12 meant I was used to the funny front end and the indicator switches, which quite frankly are brilliant.
A yellow 1150GS AND a K12? You're me aren't you? :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:33 am
Horse wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:19 am *cough* original type flappy indicator switches? *cough* :D They take a couple of days ...
They were brilliant - it was a poor day when they changed to the standard way.
Yup.

Switches that worked the way your thumbs swivel. Plus, press both and it's instant hazard lights.
Potter

Post by Potter »

They're about as far from my idea of motorcycling as it gets.
When I were a lad, you either had light and fast motorcycles to rip to the chippy and back, or you had nasty old heavy things to go on weekend rallies.

I'm not interested in going anywhere on a bike more than 2-3hrs ride.
(same as most of the GS owners who ride to the local spot <1hr away and then sit around posing :D)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Scotsrich wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:37 am Had a 1200 then a 1250 that’s going in a couple of weeks.

Loved mine, 135 bhp and enough torque to climb a cliff it’s a much underrated bike.

Surprisingly good handling too especially on decent road tyres. It can be chucked about with the best.

A bit of a dilemma on mine, solo it’s great but 2 up it’s simply too top heavy. The dilemma is if I was riding purely solo I wouldn’t have a GS in the first place. I bought it for the pillion capacity.

The engine/ gearbox takes a bit of getting used to but the torque makes up for that.
I'd imagine most bikes feel a bit top-heavy with a pillion on board. I carry pillions very rarely, but it does change the ride completely for me.
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've only ridden mine twice without a pillion.

I only really notice the extra weight at junctions. Makes no difference when moving.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:10 am I'm not interested in going anywhere on a bike more than 2-3hrs ride.
(same as most of the GS owners who ride to the local spot <1hr away and then sit around posing :D)
That’s most motorcycle owners, not just GS owners.
Potter

Post by Potter »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:15 am
Potter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:10 am I'm not interested in going anywhere on a bike more than 2-3hrs ride.
I suppose, but buying a GS to do it is taking the piss :lol:
Although saying that I've got a driveway full of Chelsea tractors.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:24 am
Potter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:10 am (same as most of the GS owners who ride to the local spot <1hr away and then sit around posing :D)
A C90 would do it. Whether or not the rider wanted to be on it for that long.

The fad for GSs is no different, really, to the previous one for Blades, R1s, etc.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Horse wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:44 am
Potter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:24 am

A C90 would do it. Whether or not the rider wanted to be on it for that long.

The fad for GSs is no different, really, to the previous one for Blades, R1s, etc.
This. If we all rode bikes designed for the actual riding we do, we'd all be riding CB500's