In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Greenman

Re: In todays news...

Post by Greenman »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:25 pm
Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:15 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm But why save humanity? What's it for?

What Musk is saying that as a species, we need to be developing interstellar space exploration so that we can populate the galaxy (eventually).

You know, like Star Wars etc. It is all very doable but the time to do it is now, before we turn this precious planet into a sterile bowl of dust.
Do you really think that we will all be living on a new planet come 2050 then?

Mate as much as i would like to think this is reality it isn't. There would be no viable way of transporting all of us to the new planet for starters, do you really think Musk and the likes will give us all free travel to the new motherland? - it will be for the few and the many will be left here to rot!

I hope i'm wrong though!
Without exploration, what is our purpose?
Procreation. Unfortunately. And to live without limits.

I 100% see what your saying though, if we multiply too much then we are fucked, maybe we are already fucked? - Maybe we need to find a new planet to infect!

I think humans massive failure is thinking it is more than it is. Consumerism, body altering, plastic this, plastic that - i bet in in the stone age they never prioritised building something to reach the Sun, they probably worshiped it as it brings life to our planet, and without it we'd all be dead!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:55 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 am Or am I overthinking this and Kamala herself is actually writing this nonsense and the power behind the throne just don't care? :hmmm:
She lacks the intellect to write her own speeches, she only got where she is by sucking cock. Her staff turnover rate is astounding, I think the writers have some kind of game going to create the most nonsensical inanity possible.
There may be some truth in that argument. Sad part is, Joe Biden is clearly a meaningless puppet figure so where does that leave Kamala?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:40 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:55 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 am Or am I overthinking this and Kamala herself is actually writing this nonsense and the power behind the throne just don't care? :hmmm:
She lacks the intellect to write her own speeches, she only got where she is by sucking cock. Her staff turnover rate is astounding, I think the writers have some kind of game going to create the most nonsensical inanity possible.
There may be some truth in that argument. Sad part is, Joe Biden is clearly a meaningless puppet figure so where does that leave Kamala?
So if Biden is a puppet, who is pulling his strings?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:53 pm So if Biden is a puppet, who is pulling his strings?
Don't know. Last thing Obama said before he left office was the ideal situation for him would be to carry on doing "his job" but from behind the scenes.

I would not be at all surprised if that is in fact the case. Obama and Hilary Clinton with their ties to industry big tech, big Pharma etc.

I sincerely doubt anyone with a right mind is suggesting Biden is anything more than a puppet figure. It is a shame really because it is bordering now on elder abuse.
Plato
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:57 pm I sincerely doubt anyone with a right mind is suggesting Biden is anything more than a puppet figure. It is a shame really because it is bordering now on elder abuse.
Similar with Reagan towards the end of his presidency.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:22 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:57 pm I sincerely doubt anyone with a right mind is suggesting Biden is anything more than a puppet figure. It is a shame really because it is bordering now on elder abuse.
I seriously can't believe they don't have an upper age limit. Biden is clearly mentally infirm. Not often I agree with Screwd but its not right. I can remember them taking the piss out of Reagan on Spitting Image nearly 40 years ago, putting codgers that can be manipulated in the White House seems to be a thing.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Still a force to be reckoned with!

Cutting the ribbon at a new bicycle shed.

https://twitter.com/susaninlangside/sta ... dVNm_bW6BQ

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Parental uproar about Michelangelo's David being naked.

This was, quite literally, a joke on the Simpsons 30 years ago :lol: Strikes me as particularly daft cause the people who are parents now would probably have laughed at that episode growing up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65087218

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:28 pm Parental uproar about Michelangelo's David being naked.

This was, quite literally, a joke on the Simpsons 30 years ago :lol: Strikes me as particularly daft cause the people who are parents now would probably have laughed at that episode growing up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65087218

Isn't there also a thing going around about Lisa Simpson having Autism!

Step way from the screens, seroiusly, STEP AWAY FROM THE SCREENS!V Those people have serious issues! - but it's in our news, WTF!
irie

Post by irie »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:57 am
Horse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:22 pm
I seriously can't believe they don't have an upper age limit. Biden is clearly mentally infirm. Not often I agree with Screwd but its not right. I can remember them taking the piss out of Reagan on Spitting Image nearly 40 years ago, putting codgers that can be manipulated in the White House seems to be a thing.
I also remember Reagan on Spitting Image. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Biden being too old for the job and WH staff picking up the slack is different from him being installed as a ‘puppet’ with others pulling his strings.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:13 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:57 pm I sincerely doubt anyone with a right mind is suggesting Biden is anything more than a puppet figure.
Biden being too old for the job and WH staff picking up the slack...
Other opinions are available and there is scant evidence either way as to whether he was deliberately installed a sa puppet figure or as you suggest, merely became one as his feeble mind fades into oblivion.

For the most powerful nation on earth, it does not bode well whichever way you want to spin it.
Plato
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:39 am Other opinions are available and there is scant evidence either way as to whether he was deliberately installed a sa puppet figure or as you suggest, merely became one as his feeble mind fades into oblivion.
It doesn’t work like that Screwd - what you are suggesting is Russell’s teapot.
For the most powerful nation on earth, it does not bode well whichever way you want to spin it.
On that we wholeheartedly agree. If Biden and Trump are the best candidates that the US can muster then it most definitely does not bode well.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:10 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:39 am Other opinions are available and there is scant evidence either way....
It doesn’t work like that Screwd - what you are suggesting is Russell’s teapot.
I chose my words carefully.

There is plenty of evidence that Biden is literally doing as he is told.

In the first few weeks he was constantly making "jokes" about "getting into trouble" or "doing what he was told"
Cue cards on his rare stage managed "press conferences".
He has to be shown which way to go on stage (and still gets it wrong)
Numerous mumblefucks including the boots on the ground gaffe regards Ukraine (!) when he told troops "when you get there..."

But other than refuting your suggestion there is no possibility of disproof, I don't want to drag this off topic. Biden being a puppet is hardly "news"... :hmmm:
Plato
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:30 pm
There is plenty of evidence that Biden is literally doing as he is told.
To be fair, once you turn your attention away from the little things and start to think strategically, then you probably need help to do a fair few basic things.

I would imagine that if I was managing the most powerful country in the world then I'd need pointers on things like which way to go up on stage, because those sort of small details aren't for you to worry about, you have people for that.

If you've ever been around royalty you'll notice that they never look down, they don't need to, anything in the way has already been moved for them.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:30 pm There is plenty of evidence that Biden is literally doing as he is told.
All US presidents will pretty much do as they’re told, whether it be from the consensus of their advisors or through the limitations of having lost congress/senate.

The US presidency isn’t a one man show. I have no doubt he takes advice and guidance from lots of sources.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Fine then there seems to be a consensus that he's not in charge.

Even though I do not accept the propositions above, rather than argue with that, I'll just ask the obvious question then.

Who is actually in charge? Who is writing his cue cards? Who is deciding the political strategy wrt Ukraine?

While Biden certainly has his finger in that pie, at least we can agree he is not making decisions about how it is baked.
Plato
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:21 pm
Who is actually in charge? Who is writing his cue cards? Who is deciding the political strategy wrt Ukraine?

While Biden certainly has his finger in that pie, at least we can agree he is not making decisions about how it is baked.
Respectfully I'm not sure you (or tbf very many people at all) understand leadership in any sort of large organisation.

He's certainly not sitting there knowing every detail and giving every order on every detail. He probably doesn't know half of what goes on, he can't. If you run anything big then sometimes you'll have senior people that have already decided on a course of action and they're just coming to you to explain the outline and get sign off. He'll know the gist of most major things, some things will be light on detail and he'll know literally nothing about other things even when his signature is on it.

Bidden might actually be a senile old fool and I think he certainly does show the signs of old age, but even if he was a thirty year old genius he'd still be getting shown which way to get up on stage.

Now then...that said, you're certainly right that there are powerful figures pulling strings and influencing decisions, but that's not just Biden, that's all democratic governments everywhere, they're influenced by money, connections and votes.

I think what you're looking for is a dictator that makes every decision, has a sufficient ego that he can't be influenced and listens to no one.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:14 am

I think what you're looking for is a dictator that makes every decision, has a sufficient ego that he can't be influenced and listens to no one.
I am available. :D
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:22 am
Potter wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:14 am

I am available. :D
They tend not to last so long, or go mad with worry that everyone is out to get them.
Eric Blair reckoned that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I wouldn't fancy it.

Personally I'm of the Richard Branson school (or was it Steve Jobs?) - hire good people that know more about their job than you do, clear the path and then get out of their way.