In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: In todays news...

Post by demographic »

Bit about the legal aspect of Fox News paying up.
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:06 am ...
If there's any actual evidence that Dominion were complicit Fox could have presented it. If Screwd has evidence he could have given it to Fox. There isn't any.
This ^^^
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

David Hallam, founder of XR Rebellion, in hospital with a broken leg after a cycling accident.
The XR founder also teased his followers about a “top-level design” he is working on, which he claims will “take control of the state” and eradicate capitalism.
Cue @Screwdriver, who's always in the know about the latest conspiracy theories, to enlighten us as to what this latest response to the alleged state sponsored conspiracy might be.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Mussels wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:51 am
Pirahna wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 am I've been reading this morning about the contract for the weekends phone alert. Apparently the contract was awarded to Fujitsu who then subbed it to one of their partners. They've been working with this partner for some time and the partner has previous worked on the phone alert system in Australia, so it makes sense to use them. The partner is Infosys, owned by Sunak's wife and her dad. I'm sure it didn't happen on purpose but still, more public money for Sunak can't be right, can it?
Should an MP having shares in a company automatically exclude that company from government contracts? It looks odd when a company gets a huge contract in proportion to it's normal business but Infosys is not a surprising choice for this.
MPs probably own quite a few shares in Capita, blocking that would cause problems.
As long as they tender and the tender process is fair then that's fine, but i bet you 100% that the tender process for these contracts is bias towards the companies they all have shares in! So not only do the rich get richer from our tax money the country also gets a lesser service.

Covid showed all this up in clear view, i shall find some links for Ant.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2825

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... corruption

I could post literally an entire page of these links!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:58 am
As long as they tender and the tender process is fair then that's fine...
I'll grant you that corruption in the UK is a huge problem, mainly because there has been such a spectacular job of convincing the general population that corruption only happens abroad, so there is massive corruption conducted at huge scale, right under everyone's nose, and instead of face it they'd prefer to moan about muslims or get involved in foreign wars.

Another significant problem is that the people in procurement are dullards, these are people that couldn't make it in anything more interesting than procurement, so incompetence is also very prevalent. They'll give contracts to whomever has the best smoke and mirrors policy, or even just whomever is cheaper.

Basically, in my opinion, the UK is screwed, it's a dying entity that will continue to devour itself, the poor will get poorer and the rich will get richer.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:52 am
I'll grant you that corruption in the UK is a huge problem, mainly because there has been such a spectacular job of convincing the general population that corruption only happens abroad, so there is massive corruption conducted at huge scale, right under everyone's nose, and instead of face it they'd prefer to moan about muslims or get involved in foreign wars.

Another significant problem is that the people in procurement are dullards, these are people that couldn't make it in anything more interesting than procurement, so incompetence is also very prevalent. They'll give contracts to whomever has the best smoke and mirrors policy, or even just whomever is cheaper.

Basically, in my opinion, the UK is screwed, it's a dying entity that will continue to devour itself, the poor will get poorer and the rich will get richer.
Totally agree.

Though i think the entire planet is screwed myself mainly due to overpopulation and greed, and is also why i think people like Musk etc is building these spaceships, they know we are all fucked and are trying to setup a new utopia for the rich on another planet, those that think it's for some new wirerless network are fully deluded and very gullible!
westers151

Post by westers151 »

Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:56 am

Totally agree.

Though i think the entire planet is screwed myself mainly due to overpopulation and greed, and is also why i think people like Musk etc is building these spaceships, they know we are all fucked and are trying to setup a new utopia for the rich on another planet, those that think it's for some new wirerless network are fully deluded and very gullible!
Taking that to the next logical level, the whole solar system is screwed, once the Sun blows up. I doubt Musk, or the mega rich can find a way to change physics, and so a) can't reverse that inevitability, and b) invent something that will allow them to zip around the universe to get out of the solar system in a blink of an eye.

To be fair, the rich can have their utopia on another planet - I can't see it being much fun having to live inside constantly, and bouncing of the ceilings because you forgot about the lower gravity when bouncing up out of your seat.
:lol:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

westers151 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:45 am
Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:56 am

Totally agree.

Taking that to the next logical level, the whole solar system is screwed, once the Sun blows up. I doubt Musk, or the mega rich can find a way to change physics, and so a) can't reverse that inevitability, and b) invent something that will allow them to zip around the universe to get out of the solar system in a blink of an eye.

To be fair, the rich can have their utopia on another planet - I can't see it being much fun having to live inside constantly, and bouncing of the ceilings because you forgot about the lower gravity when bouncing up out of your seat.
:lol:
But that won't be for a very long time, unless i am unaware of any issues with our sun!

My gripe is that they are fucking everything up NOW, we will be left with a planet that will have zero fossil fuels, a totally fucked polluted atmosphere and a population so mentally ill due to the pressures that would have been forced onto them by the rich before they fire off in their spaceships to their new utopia.

If Musk and the likes think the planet is going to be in a good livable state in several decades to come, why are they not using their billions of what seems to be disposable income to better the planet they are on now and that their children will be living in in the future?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

But why save humanity? What's it for?

What Musk is saying that as a species, we need to be developing interstellar space exploration so that we can populate the galaxy (eventually).

You know, like Star Wars etc. It is all very doable but the time to do it is now, before we turn this precious planet into a sterile bowl of dust.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

I wanted some books on interstellar travel, but I didn't have the space.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm But why save humanity? What's it for?

What Musk is saying that as a species, we need to be developing interstellar space exploration so that we can populate the galaxy (eventually).

You know, like Star Wars etc. It is all very doable but the time to do it is now, before we turn this precious planet into a sterile bowl of dust.
Do you really think that we will all be living on a new planet come 2050 then?

Mate as much as i would like to think this is reality it isn't. There would be no viable way of transporting all of us to the new planet for starters, do you really think Musk and the likes will give us all free travel to the new motherland? - it will be for the few and the many will be left here to rot!

I hope i'm wrong though!
westers151

Post by westers151 »

Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:58 am
But that won't be for a very long time, unless i am unaware of any issues with our sun!

My gripe is that they are fucking everything up NOW, we will be left with a planet that will have zero fossil fuels, a totally fucked polluted atmosphere and a population so mentally ill due to the pressures that would have been forced onto them by the rich before they fire off in their spaceships to their new utopia.

If Musk and the likes think the planet is going to be in a good livable state in several decades to come, why are they not using their billions of what seems to be disposable income to better the planet they are on now and that their children will be living in in the future?
I was being a little bit flippant :) To be honest, by the time the sun blows up I'd be amazed if any of the human race still existed. We're far more likely to annihilate ourselves, or a big space meteor does it for us before the sun says good night for ever.

The state of the planet isn't just on the head of the rich - everyone has had a part to play in that due to massive population increase and rampant consumerism. Sure, the rich get to afford a lot more, and bigger things than the average household, but I bet the amount of the planet that had been raped to fulfill the desires of a few billion "poor" people is a lot less than was needed for the comparatively few rich people. I can't prove that, but it seems logical to me.

The reality is that human growth is rapidly starting to impact the planet, and there's only a finite amount of resource to sustain the population. Once that's been consumed, we're doomed.

I don't think the planet will be in an unlivable state in the next 20 years; it'll be different, but it'll still be liveable. In the next 50 years, who knows.
westers151

Post by westers151 »

Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:15 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm But why save humanity? What's it for?

Mate as much as i would like to think this is reality it isn't. There would be no viable way of transporting all of us to the new planet for starters, do you really think Musk and the likes will give us all free travel to the new motherland? - it will be for the few and the many will be left here to rot!

I hope i'm wrong though!
We have to find a new planet that is similar to ours, and as far as I'm aware we haven't done that. I think some have been identified as having similar orbits as ours, but they're millions of years away the chances of us actually determining if they're liveable are as good as zero.

Mars is the only one available, but that's a long, long way off from being a reality of having infrastructure to support a large, long term colonisation.

And yep, the ones who can afford to get out will be the ones who go, but that's always been the same throughout the history of civilisation.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Should be in Arguing The Toss Thread :D
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Greenman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:15 pm

I hope i'm wrong though!
No but I think we'll have a base on Mars by then. Chap like Elon could probably put Man on Mars (Mankind i.e non gender specific human) within the next 3-4 years. Mars was once earth like with water oceans and a dense atmosphere. Be interesting to discover how and why it now doesn't. Venus is still a mystery and that's just next door.

Without exploration, what is our purpose? Merely to persist? Coz if we as a species wish to persist, we need to start looking after this planet, and we need to start doing that 20 years ago.

As for the technology and ability to go interstellar, that is easily doable over a couple of generations. There will eventually be ways using cryogenic suspension and AI robot nurses to spread ourselves across the galaxy. It is easily doable. We just need to focus.

If we don't, then we just sit here and stagnate. This new global environment where news and opinion pieces spreads like a virus, infecting minds on a mass scale is a new feature for human society. I don't think we are prepared for the consequences. The human mind is weak and devious humans with sufficient power and authority know exactly how to exploit our weaknesses for their personal benefit.

Elon is doing something for mankind. That's a step in the right direction if you ask me. Other opinions are available.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If anyone hasn't read them Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is an interesting set of books. Some of it is a bit 'out there' ie the genetic tweaking is a way off but there's lots of interesting ideas that may yet prove prescient. (The first is set in 2026 so it was a tad optimistic).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 am I've been reading this morning about the contract for the weekends phone alert. Apparently the contract was awarded to Fujitsu who then subbed it to one of their partners. They've been working with this partner for some time and the partner has previous worked on the phone alert system in Australia, so it makes sense to use them. The partner is Infosys, owned by Sunak's wife and her dad. I'm sure it didn't happen on purpose but still, more public money for Sunak can't be right, can it?
This conflict of interest should be shouted from the rooftops.

But it's not - because -
- the government is hellbent on polluting the media with insidious stories of how geezers dressed as unconvincing ladies are waiting on every street corner to finger your kids
- the government also want to point out that there are some 'nice ones' who want some rights, but watch-out!, this means they are stealing your own rights!
- and look at Diane Abbott mentioning a jew, sounds a bit racist!
Last edited by DefTrap on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:06 pm If anyone hasn't read them Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is an interesting set of books. Some of it is a bit 'out there' ie the genetic tweaking is a way off but there's lots of interesting ideas that may yet prove prescient. (The first is set in 2026 so it was a tad optimistic).
I found the first one so boring I didn't bother with the rest.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:36 pm This conflict of interest should be shouted from the rooftops.

But it's not - because -
- the government is hellbent on polluting the media with insidious stories of how geezers dressed as unconvincing ladies are waiting on every street corner to finger your kids
That^ absolutely. But theres enough tards out there who are chuffed ro bits when they find someone else who they can bully and persecute.
They find different reasons to persecute the same people theyve been persecuting for years.
Same victims, same people being cunts, just a different excuse to do it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

It's not because just because of "the government" - it's also because "the media" keeps feeding you shit and you keep swallowing it, there was a massive froth on here because of some lies made up about a woman who had to remove her rainbow hat in Qatar while she went through a security scanner - all absolute lies, and meanwhile you were all being rinsed for tax pounds being corrupted away.

Stop buying or reading tabloids, stop getting your sensationalist news from crackpots on YouTube, stop listening to Gary Lineker, and engage brain.