Autumn is upon us.. Did you make the most of the good weather this year ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Autumn is upon us.. Did you make the most of the good weather this year ?

Post by weeksy »

How did summer treat you then? What were your highlights? Your best rides ?

For me this year has been a whirlwind as i did something i didn't expect which was selling the 690KTM, do i regret it, not for a second actually. Despite having an incrdible day at Donny on it, it was time for it to go and be replaced, the only shock was that it wasn't a 790.

I then followed that up with a day at Silverstone GP chasing Mrs Weeksy on her ZX6R on my new XSR900, which was again, a fantastic day.

Due to Covid i didn't get as many big days out as i wanted, we were all in lockdown when it should have been time for our trip to Scotland and the trip to Wales got canned too.

But we got the yearly trip to Pembrey, which was the highlight of the season for me.

Sadly the broken scaphoid then put paid to any more rides for 2020. Well, maybe, i'm hoping for a late bit of sun at the end of Oct to allow me out.
chillitt

Re: Autumn is upon us.. Did you make the most of the good weather this year ?

Post by chillitt »

I ordered a fuel pump for the ZX6R yesterday so if that fixes it, should be just in time for the cold and wet to get here, so no, not exactly a good biking summer..Head start on next year maybe.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I had a good one. I'd bought a Ducati Monster 1200 late last autumn so was keen to have some fun with it this spring.
We had a plan for a trip down to the Pyrenees which was of course aborted, but the 6 of us got out for regular rides at weekends as soon as lockdown lifted. I also put some miles on the Triumph Tiger which usually gets used for commuting (remember commuting? :) ).

Already looking forward to next year, hopefully get the Pyrenees trip in, The Brno MotoGP, British MotoGP (have weekend tickets for both already) and maybe= a tracjday or two.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Covid threw a spanner in the works for at least two decent road trip/tours for me (and likely would have been three)- one was to be a complete loop of the isel of Ireland , where we were going to take in Skerries too so that was a disappointment.

It's also meant I've done one or two fewer trackdays than I probably would have, but overall I've still been a good year- have had some fun single-day road rides, some of them with a pillion which has been a new and nice experience for me (taking my kids on the back for 30min rides here and there when they were small doesn't really count for me in this context), and the 2 or 3 trackdays that I've done have all been great, from both a riding and particularly a social aspect.

It hit the Jolly-boys green-laning days that I do with Crust and a couple of other good mates, but as soon as lockdown lifted in early June to allow us to go out in groups of up to 6 we were out

The year isn't done yet,will still be out on the roads when the weather and roads are decent , the green-laning is almost all year round, and if I'm feeling brave, I might even might even chance a late season trackday on my new toy too if I can fit a reasonably local one in
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

No trips, but have managed around 4000 miles on a KTM 790 which have been revealing in my total lack of confidence in riding a motorcycle and inability to ride properly, sigh
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Been a bit poor motorcycling wise for me, I booked two trackdays at Cadwell, first one was a wash out in the morning but better in the afternoon, second one was last Friday and I didn't bother going the weather was so bad, hopefully Snetterton on Monday will be better.

I enjoyed riding my bike to work when the roads were empty during lockdown, but I've been very busy at work this year so haven't really had much time for motorcycling.

OTOH I've bought a 350 YPVS project bike that's turned out to be better than I thought it would be, I've fancied another YPVS for a while and it does feel good fiddling with a 2 stroke again. I've also had a good time with my EMTB, electrically assisted cycling is the future of off road riding for me.
Honda Owner
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Nope 2020 sucked, I think I only put just over 1000 miles on the bike this year.
I usually like to ride somewhere and have a coffee, that was out during lockdown, and my usual stomping ground of Wales was pretty much locked up tight
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:04 pm Nope 2020 sucked, I think I only put just over 1000 miles on the bike this year.
This. For various different reasons I didn't get much riding this year.
non quod, sed quomodo
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

S'not fair. Can't join in with this thread. :(
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yes I did.... Put 5500 miles on the T9 in the last 12 months which is a lot for me. Managed to get a recent trip to the Scottish Borders done, Oulton Park TD and the fabulous Pembrey weekender. Plenty of day trips during furlough. BBQs galore and been living in T shirt and shorts. 🌞 All in all, some really good bike time had ,
Just need our experts to rid the world of this bloody virus and we'll all be happy again. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

2000 miles on the KTM commuting in all weathers, 900 miles on the ZH2 commuting (in all weathers) and trips to the Rye Bay Fish shop.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's been a very odd year for me and I doubt I'm alone in saying that.

Due to one thing and another,the last few years I've been a bike owner more than a bike rider. Lockdown changed all that. It seems all I needed was to be told not to travel and that's exactly what I wanted to do. :roll:

Thus,when lockdown eased,the hunger to ride again burned afresh.

On 31st July I had a brainstorm and bought a new bike and I've been on it every opportunity available. I don't think it's entirely being new fangled,but undoubtedly it played a part. I did more miles in 3 weeks than in the 2 years previous.

These days I ride alone and utterly selfishly,it has been my one refuge from demanding family duties and has kept me sane. I've more of the same tribulations in the times ahead without the bike refuge (I don't ride once the salt goes down) Maybe I'll polish the schitt out of it to compensate. :lol:

Sweet and sour sums up the year,to date. The bike side of things I've greatly enjoyed.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Probably put 1200 miles on the Gutsi and 600 on the Enfield.

Would have been a lot more if it wasn't for lock down. I bought the Guzzi 3rd week in March, did 125 miles, then... nothing until we were allowed out again.

Still, the Guzzi has done more miles than the Tiger it replaced did in two and a bit years.

Still plenty of year left tho', here's hoping for a mild December.
Druid

Post by Druid »

It's been quite a good year for me. Lockdown started three weeks after I bought a new (to me) bike, causing the cancellation af a planned trip to Wales with a couple of mates. Once things eased a bit I got a few days out locally averaging 150-180 miles a time and home for dinner*
Skub wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:51 pm These days I ride alone and utterly selfishly,
I have always enjoyed solo rides, bet this was the first year I did a long weekend solo. At short notice I booked a b&b in Inverness for 3 nights over the August Bank Holiday and had a brilliant time riding round the west of Scotland. I need to figure out how to arrange something similar next year without causing any matrimonial upsets.

*Dinner is a meal taken around noon, just in case all you southerners think I was out till after tea ;)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I missed out a chunk of riding. Most missed were a very roundabout visit to my Aunt/Uncle in Yeovil for a weekend, the north Devon coast over a weekend and a trip round the Sussex downs. I also didn't do any commuting except 1 day in the office for a H&S visit.

On the other hand I managed 2k miles which isn't bad as didn't start riding till June or whenever it was and haven't ridden in the last week or 2.

Best bits? Making a day out of seeing Mr Weeksy when he very kindly gifted me his heated grips (thanks again). Few nice rides out to Heybridge, Suffolk/Essex for hooning in the lanes and the standout was the group ride the other week to Southwold. Given I've done 2k miles, all of those were fun rides out so can't complain too much.
Claude

Post by Claude »

Late bloomer for me this year. no real interest in riding, move house late February then lockdown hit so juggling working from home and homeschooling our boys. In July I went back to a full-time role, having decided to sell the bike and having 'one last ride' the love for riding has been rekindled. I'm trying to get out now at every opportunity.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I got the bike out for one training session in mid-March and picked up a puncture before I'd managed five miles so had to cancel it, then got locked down till June. I've been reasonably busy with training since then, and also took a short break to Shropshire / mid-Wales on the bike with t'other half and had some decent weather and great riding... and I've also done some day long rides, most two-up but one long ride up towards the Wash with my buddy Keith from Oxford. So not too bad, though I have missed my cross-channel fix.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Been a busy riding year for me this year mainly through work as we continued working providing CBT training for NHS and key workers through lock down. Once the restrictions on non essential travel eased off then the floodgates opened and my part time job turned into 6 days a week for a month as everyone who had been waiting for months wanted a CBT and either a 125 or through license routes

The Fazer has done about 6000 miles through commuting and work but the Multistrada hasnt done anywhere near what i wanted as i did t=get down to Lands End this year and my only decent run away was to Pembrey for the annual trackday. Despite the weather and covid restrictions it was a superb weekend away and great fun hooning round the track on the Ducati finding out more about my riding and the bikes capabilities. My trust in tyres is a lot higher as a result and wet weather riding i am a lot more relaxed :thumbup:

Now just need to sort the Fazer out for winter with either some heated grips or adapting the bar muffs i used on the GS1150 and Multistrada over the past few winters
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

As usual, NI didn't have much good weather and along with C19, it was a bit of a bollocks. Only one good day out with the boy on his HD and a mate on her CBF600 but did 2k on the BMW, just over 1k on the Pan and 700 on the 125 just pootling about.

Didn't help that I've been mostly working and sleeping with not much time to myself.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Been an odd year for me. Having a bike meant I was the one person who could get into London to check hte office was okay and keep the H&S side of things running. The whole riding thing has been upended and I sold the Honda and bought the BMW so I have something I want to ride. Only done 300 miles on it so far, but loving them more than the 3500 I did on the Honda this year. For me, most importantly, I was ordained deacon and life changed somewhat! Riding will carry on and I will be looking to do a trackday, a long trip and more.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.