SMARTening motorways

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
The Spin Doctor

Re: SMARTening motorways

Post by The Spin Doctor »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:47 am I can access my handbook via the touch screen (there is a paper copy in the book pack too).
Cool! You can read it whilst driving ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:47 am I can access my handbook via the touch screen (there is a paper copy in the book pack too).
Cool! You can read it whilst driving ;)
It reads Wikipedia articles about local points of interest out loud, I'll checked if it reads the manual to you too.
The Spin Doctor

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:28 pm
It reads Wikipedia articles about local points of interest out loud, I'll checked if it reads the manual to you too.
You'll be telling me it does Fox News next...
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah they do News...not Fox though, some random organisation I've never heard of. Also shows you the weather on the Sat Nav map. Goes without saying you can ask the car "what's the weather like at home/my destination/anywhere you choose".
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:54 am anywhere you choose
Your car
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:54 am Somewhere random
My car's voice recognition
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

All this middle console control stuff is a bit shit if you've got a spazzy arm on that side :( Depending on the day, I can't reach the hazard button with my right hand and have to lean across and use my left :o :o Not exactly ideal :roll: I don't remember older cars having having the hazard light button right in the middle of the car? I remember that button as being for the driver to press and so being closer to the driver!!! I guess that, if my memory is not tricking me and the button has moved it's a combination of access for all and not having to change so much when selling vehicles to the uk!!

TBF, this winter has been the first time I can actually change the controls (most days but not all) with my right hand. Motorbikes are much easier for this 'handicapée'!!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

In every car I can remember, including the two I own now, the hazards have been a largish red, physical button somewhere centre-ish on the dash.

Mrs D calls them the Taxi parking lights.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Noggin wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:05 pm I guess that, if my memory is not tricking me and the button has moved it's a combination of access for all and not having to change so much when selling vehicles to the uk!!
I'm pretty sure the 'not having to change for the UK' is a factor with our Skoda. The handbrake is closer to the passenger than the driver, and the bonnet-opener lever is in the left hand footwell. Fortunately it's a good car in important respects.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:11 pm In every car I can remember, including the two I own now, the hazards have been a largish red, physical button somewhere centre-ish on the dash.

I've always thought they were closer to the driver - but then, if I was sat int he right hand seat, maybe they would be!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
The Spin Doctor

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:11 pm In every car I can remember, including the two I own now, the hazards have been a largish red, physical button somewhere centre-ish on the dash.

I seem to remember one where it was a button on top of the steering column, which meant poking a hand through the spokes of the wheel.
Horse

Post by Horse »

In the news today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68848418

Claims that smart motorways tech leaves drivers at risk

The technology behind England's smart motorway network stops working on a regular basis, the BBC has discovered.

Figures obtained by Panorama have revealed hundreds of incidents when crucial safety equipment was out of action.

I think it's a fairly open secret that some of the tech hasn't been wonderful when working.

One point to note:

The worst problems were in the latest period ... there were 174 power outages - almost one a day.

The longest was at junction 14 on the M4, where there were no signals or sensors for 11 days.

J14 - if that's correct - isn't a 'smart' motorway. Normal 'D3+HS'. The only tech will be vehicle detection loops and, possibly, Variable Message Signs (I can't remember what's there).

Edit: VMS
20240422_090854.jpg
20240422_090854.jpg (111.08 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I would imagine breaking down on a motorway "with" a hard shoulder to be quite scary, I'd be out of the car and behind the barrier pretty sharpish. With no hard shoulder, bloody frightening. Then in the dark, I dread to think.

So many shit drivers around these days, in touch screen cars, paying no care and attention to the road ahead. 🤦‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Smart motorways just aren't really. They don't work.

Pretty much every time I'm going west on the M25 they'll be an assortment of variable speeds but they'll go something like
Blank screen - so some people go back to NSL others stay at 50

For those bottom 4 for example why not just have them all at 40 or 50. The constant changing means means you have to keep checking your speed meaning more time looking at speedo's/pressing cruise buttons than looking at what's going on. That's before dealing with drivers (vans more often than not) doing the speed limit under the gantry then back to as fast as possible chopping lanes left and right to get ahead.

And that's before the nonsense of having 40 mph speed limits when you are actually only doing 5 cos it's stop start traffic and you couldn't do 40 if you wanted.

As for lane closures, on the odd time I've come across one that seems to mean 70% of people try and get out of the closed lane when told. The other 30% actively get in that lane to get as far ahead as possible and cut in at the last second. A good portion of people only get out of the closed lane when they get to the blockage having driven through multiple lane closed signs.

The only difference I notice on Smart Vs non smart M'Ways is that on the Smart ones 95% of people are doing 70mph max cos of the threat of camera's.