In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
DefTrap

Re: In todays news...

Post by DefTrap »

I give blood quite a lot.
Over the years they have asked me all sorts of questions about where I live, where I've been, what I've been snorting, most often who I've been shagging, how dirty they might have been, and how much laughing juice I've injected.
There's masses to be offended by if you really want to be offended.
But I'm only there to give away my blood because other feckers can't be arsed, and waste as little time on it as possible - so I just tick the right boxes, drink a gallon of water like a good boy and behave myself.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

When I give blood I'm more offended by the fact you can't get a cup of tea any more. :thumbdown:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Ant

Post by Ant »

If you do not believe that giving money to an organisation to drive your car into London, makes the air cleaner, then you're probably a COVID denier and a member of the far right.....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sadiq-khan-c ... d-deniers/
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:54 pm When I give blood I'm more offended by the fact you can't get a cup of tea any more. :thumbdown:
It's the only place down south I see Seabrooks crisps though. :thumbup:
irie

Post by irie »

cheb wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:16 pm Utter bollocks. It's not woke to to give a sensible reply to a badly worded questionnaire. Unless you are a tool of course, and they seem to be increasing in number. Maybe they should have two forms, one for sensible people and one for wallopers like him.
Also the man is a GP, I hope he doesn't show such fuckwittery towards his patients.
I can't give blood any more because I've had (and have completely recovered) from cancer, but in my book giving a sensible answer to a self evidently woke question actively condones the wokery.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Ant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:00 pm If you do not believe that giving money to an organisation to drive your car into London, makes the air cleaner, then you're probably a COVID denier and a member of the far right.....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sadiq-khan-c ... d-deniers/
He's probably not far from the truth, just like he has his own rent a mob that will turn out to protest against anything a Tory ever did or said.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

irie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:18 pm in my book giving a sensible answer to a self evidently woke question actively condones the wokery.
It's been a question for longer than the word "woke" has been a thing probably. Certainly as long as I can remember, >20 years.

"No" is a sensible answer.

"Are you pregnant?"..."No".

"Are you pregnant?"..."No, because I'm a man".

Second bit is redundant on what it supposed to be a quick questionnaire. It's like how they ask "have you ever been given money or drugs for sex?"....they don't provide an option for "No, but is there someone around here offering? Because lack of opportunity is the only reason the answer is no".
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:30 pm Gonna take a flying guess here but I bet there’s a box for male/female/other/pnts and also it would have to be a universal form for men women and err, others. In which case, in order for it NOT to ask if you are pregnant, they would have to have two (or more!) forms AND they would have to ascertain if you were m/f/o before they gave it to you.
BTW...on this...

Every time I've been it's been the same form, give or take. The questions have changed slightly, but even the format had stayed remarkably consistent.

There are some questions whcih start with "If Female" or "If Male" but I'm 99% sure pregnancy isn't one of them.

I'd be curious to know the reason for splitting some qs by man and woman and also what they do about trans people in that situation.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:32 pm
irie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:18 pm in my book giving a sensible answer to a self evidently woke question actively condones the wokery.
It's been a question for longer than the word "woke" has been a thing probably. Certainly as long as I can remember, >20 years.

Difficult to understand how it can be a 'woke' question when:

A 2015 review reports that as many as 52% of pregnant women worldwide have an iron deficiency.

Anemia occurs when the body either does not make enough healthy red blood cells or they do not work efficiently, and this can prevent the body from having enough iron.

Meanwhile, pregnancy creates a higher demand for iron to help the fetus grow. During pregnancy, the average woman requires 350–500 milligrams of additional iron in order to prevent a deficiency.

Blood donation may increase the risk of developing iron-deficiency anemia.

The British pregnancy charity Tommy’s notes that, although the chances are low, untreated iron-deficiency anemia may lead to:
premature birth
low birth weight
placental abruption — the placenta coming away from the wall of the uterus, which can be dangerous

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... e-pregnant
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ant

Post by Ant »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:43 pm

Difficult to understand how it can be a 'woke' question when:

A 2015 review reports that as many as 52% of pregnant women worldwide have an iron deficiency.

Anemia occurs when the body either does not make enough healthy red blood cells or they do not work efficiently, and this can prevent the body from having enough iron.

Meanwhile, pregnancy creates a higher demand for iron to help the fetus grow. During pregnancy, the average woman requires 350–500 milligrams of additional iron in order to prevent a deficiency.

Blood donation may increase the risk of developing iron-deficiency anemia.

The British pregnancy charity Tommy’s notes that, although the chances are low, untreated iron-deficiency anemia may lead to:
premature birth
low birth weight
placental abruption — the placenta coming away from the wall of the uterus, which can be dangerous

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... e-pregnant
But still, a man cannot be pregnant.
irie

Post by irie »

It has become a woke question, times have changed.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So what do you want them to do? Go through and review/change questions to avoid offending you?

Sounds pretty snowflake ;)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

It is the thin end of the wedge. Mothers ar now “birthing people” for example.
Just in case a man who gave birth is offended. Err, what now??

I think this GP is of course a bit of an idiot for picking that example which is totally innocuous. Plenty more where that came from and things can only get worse. Ask Budweiser how their campaign is going….
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:25 pm So what do you want them to do? Go through and review/change questions to avoid offending you?

If as you say the form hasn't changed in at least 20 years then the form should of course be reviewed.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Its changed plenty, I said that too.

What hasn't changed is that they haven't appended "if you're a woman" to the front of the longstanding "are you pregnant?" question.

Asking them to do that to avoid offending you is pretty snowflake, like I said ;)
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:25 pm So what do you want them to do? Go through and review/change questions to avoid offending you?

Maybe he's not offended, perhaps he just can't see the logic in being asked as a man, if he is pregnant.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Being offended or logic or just not filling in a form at a blood donor session because you're an arse all pathetic reasons for creating a fuss when people are just trying to do their jobs.
Fill it in and donate or don't and don't. Simple enough.
Ant

Post by Ant »

.....so if they need the blood that badly......
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:10 pm Its changed plenty, I said that too.

What hasn't changed is that they haven't appended "if you're a woman" to the front of the longstanding "are you pregnant?" question.

Asking them to do that to avoid offending you is pretty snowflake, like I said ;)
The over 20 year old form should be left exactly as it is now to avoid offending you. :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:26 pm .....so if they need the blood that badly......
No, they don't need it.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: