Re: In todays news...

Post by KungFooBob »

Magnum is from Barnsley!

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/b ... ws-4101927

Well some ancient relation is.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

I wonder if he 'wears' his English-American heritage with pride. Nah! I doubt it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Funny how all the yanks wannabe Irish,yet their distant relatives couldn't wait to get away from the oul sod.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Skub wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:29 pm Funny how all the yanks wannabe Irish,yet their distant relatives couldn't wait to get away from the oul sod.
In fairness, there was a wee famine to content with....
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigjawa wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:21 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:29 pm Funny how all the yanks wannabe Irish,yet their distant relatives couldn't wait to get away from the oul sod.
In fairness, there was a wee famine to content with....
Pah,semantics. :D
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

My last two bar fights were with Plastic Paddy's, neither of which could find Ireland on a map.
Ant

Post by Ant »

A GP, who is a man is refused as a blood doner, for refusing to answer whether or not he is pregnant....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/male-gp-turn ... 9Ij943sJXE
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:50 am
My last two bar fights were with Plastic Paddy's, neither of which could find Ireland on a map.
Most Americans couldn't find Alaska on a map, never mind Ireland.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Has Blackpool got wimpy seagulls?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-65274023

The fuckers here chased a pair of Harris hawks off that were supposed to scare the gulls, try putting one on a lead here and it would attack you.
Honda Owner
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:51 am The fuckers here chased a pair of Harris hawks off that were supposed to scare the gulls, try putting one on a lead here and it would attack you.
I went on a hawk experience day thing, they gave you a Harris Hawk for the day and taught you how to fly it. The things were like soft little puppies. Every time it went for a fly it would get chased of by stuff like Blue Tits then come back for a cuddle. Walking around with it I had to keep my arm close to my chest so that it could lean against me. A great day out though.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Ant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am A GP, who is a man is refused as a blood doner, for refusing to answer whether or not he is pregnant....

And these are supposed to be intelligent people FFS. That's the GP I'm referring to. Tick the no option and move on, unless you want to appear to a complete fool. As he said, 'Apply some common sense'
Ant

Post by Ant »

cheb wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:02 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am A GP, who is a man is refused as a blood doner, for refusing to answer whether or not he is pregnant....

And these are supposed to be intelligent people FFS. That's the GP I'm referring to. Tick the no option and move on, unless you want to appear to a complete fool. As he said, 'Apply some common sense'
Why should he be coerced into such wokery?

They're asking a man, if a man is pregnant.

No, a man cannot be pregnant, it isn't even an option. It's a misogynistic attack against women who are struggling with starting a family.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Utter bollocks. It's not woke to to give a sensible reply to a badly worded questionnaire. Unless you are a tool of course, and they seem to be increasing in number. Maybe they should have two forms, one for sensible people and one for wallopers like him.
Also the man is a GP, I hope he doesn't show such fuckwittery towards his patients.
Ant

Post by Ant »

He's a GP, exactly, even he has called it out on the utter nonsense that it is.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

cheb wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:16 pm Utter bollocks. It's not woke to to give a sensible reply to a badly worded questionnaire. Unless you are a tool of course, and they seem to be increasing in number. Maybe they should have two forms, one for sensible people and one for wallopers like him.
Also the man is a GP, I hope he doesn't show such fuckwittery towards his patients.
With all the money spent on the NHS you'd think they'd be able to produce a questionnaire that isn't 'badly worded' and doesn't create ridicule.

It shouldn't cost the earth, a bunch of schoolkids could do it for a project. This current questionnaire probably cost the NHS a few hundred thousand quid for a 'consultant(s)' to produce.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Well that's a first for me . Agreeing with " I've 'ad her " Ant rather than ( Mr. Sensible ) Cheb .

Matron , please check my meds :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

I'll confess I can't remember the wording, it's a while since I gave blood, but the question has been asked for as long I can remember.
Maybe it's not badly worded, maybe it just asks 'Are you pregnant?' and you get a yes/no choice. In which case that idiot up there has even less to get exercised about.
cheb

Post by cheb »

https://www.scotblood.co.uk/media/2828/ ... sample.pdf

That's the questionnaire. Page 2, question 12. Are you pregnant, or have you been in the last 6 months? Yes/No. That GP is a fucking clown.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

That was my first thought: someone is looking for something to be offended by.

Gonna take a flying guess here but I bet there’s a box for male/female/other/pnts and also it would have to be a universal form for men women and err, others. In which case, in order for it NOT to ask if you are pregnant, they would have to have two (or more!) forms AND they would have to ascertain if you were m/f/o before they gave it to you.

Seems like a lot of effort to avoid the odd idiot looking for something to be offended by.

Having said that, this sort of thing is just the tip of the iceberg. If they can get away with excessive identity politics bollocks in the USA it’s only a matter of time before it becomes more widely spread over here. It is effectively a mass psychosis being spread by social media.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

S'not even the first time this has happened, or been mentioned in this thread IIRC.

Its not the "you're not woke enough" which is the problem, it's the "we can't fill in a form for you". There are pretty strict rules on 'putting words in people's mouths', which you'd think a GP knows.

I gave blood yesterday and ticked "no" BTW. I'm never pregnant so that answer is always valid :lol: It's the 30 somethingth time I've answered it and I've never struggled.
Ant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:05 pm No, a man cannot be pregnant.
Seems like he should have answered "no" then. :lol: