Historical vehicle information?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bennydog42

Historical vehicle information?

Post by Bennydog42 »

Hi Everyone.

I’m hoping that someone can give me some help regarding when a motorcycle becomes a historical vehicle, for road tax and mot purposes.

I have recently bought a very nice Suzuki gsx250. It was registered on 30/10/1980 so will be forty years old next month. The mot lapsed last month. The bike has done about 200 miles before the mot ended.

I was told that the bike will become historical vehicle eligible on the 30/10/20 which would mean that I didn’t have to get a new mot. I was also told that if I took a form v112 to the post office, I could tax the bike as a historical vehicle, too.

Now before someone tells me “Google is my friend” (It isn’t DuckDuckGo is) There is quite a bit of out of date information, and some misleading stuff out there. I really want to hear from someone who has recently had to deal with the same thing.

I have a old mot, and the “New Keeper” part of the registration document. What should I do next. I obviously don’t want to get a mot if I don’t have to. The same goes for road tax.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice..
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Historical vehicle information?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Try asking the VJMC, they might be able to help
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd hope that the governments info isn't out of date or misleading?

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
Bennydog42

Post by Bennydog42 »

Without making any jokes about government information, being out of date or misleading..
The gov website is quite ambiguous.

This is why I’m looking for someone that has real experience of transitioning to a historical vehicle status.

Thank you, anyway.. 👍
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bennydog42 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:26 pm The gov website is quite ambiguous.
Which bit?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

I’ve done it a couple of times it’s quite simple, fill in change of taxation class on the V5, take it to a post office and they will send it to DVLA. In a few weeks you will get new V5 and shortly after any RFL refund you are due. My understanding is that the vehicle has to be over 40 years old on the 1st Jan of the year you are applying for free RFL in
Amulree

Post by Amulree »

Yes, that's right you have to wait to the beginning of the next year. I had my 1979 Austin Allegro all ready to apply for historic status in October 2019 but in fact had to wait until 5 April 2020 before I could apply. When I did I ran into Coronavirus which slowed the whole thing up for 6 months but that's another story! Anyhow the car is now an historic vehicle!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Amulree wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:15 pm Yes, that's right you have to wait to the beginning of the next year. I had my 1979 Austin Allegro all ready to apply for historic status in October 2019 but in fact had to wait until 5 April 2020 before I could apply. When I did I ran into Coronavirus which slowed the whole thing up for 6 months but that's another story! Anyhow the car is now an historic vehicle!
You spelt Horrific wrong.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

You spelt Horrific wrong.
No he hasnt there are indeed two L's in Austin Allegro
Bennydog42

Post by Bennydog42 »

But what about the mot. My bike will be over forty years old on the day after 30/10/20

Please see attached. It doesn’t say forty years from the following year.
Attachments
4D6896EA-9097-4433-BD6D-D67B01B1359C.jpeg
4D6896EA-9097-4433-BD6D-D67B01B1359C.jpeg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Amulree

Post by Amulree »

As I understand it you need the V5 showing the 'Historic' tax class before you can drop the MoT. If you have the standard V5 the DVLA computer will simply do the automatic insurance and MoT check before you can re-tax the vehicle.
Oh, and Austin Allegros are much maligned, but there's only 280 left!
Bennydog42

Post by Bennydog42 »

This is what I meant about the government site being ambiguous..
Why can’t this information be put out clearly?

I’m going to ring the dvla tomorrow.. Just to make sure. But I won’t be surprised if they don’t know what the rules are. 🙄

Thank you everyone who has replied to my post.

I’ll let you know what finally happens..
Bennydog42

Post by Bennydog42 »

I found this. https://www.spannerrash.com/v112-form-mot-exemption/

Why couldn’t this information have been made clear on the government website?

Looks like I’m getting my bike mot’d tomorrow.. 😏

Once again, thank you for all the help and advice.
David

Post by David »

Amulree wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:15 pm Yes, that's right you have to wait to the beginning of the next year. I had my 1979 Austin Allegro all ready to apply for historic status in October 2019 but in fact had to wait until 5 April 2020 before I could apply. When I did I ran into Coronavirus which slowed the whole thing up for 6 months but that's another story! Anyhow the car is now an historic vehicle!
I am surprised it was quick enough to catch up with Coronathingy.

Has it got a "Quartic" wheel?
David

Post by David »

Amulree wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:04 pm As I understand it you need the V5 showing the 'Historic' tax class before you can drop the MoT. If you have the standard V5 the DVLA computer will simply do the automatic insurance and MoT check before you can re-tax the vehicle.
There is a reason for the last bit...
Watch how you jack it up.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Amulree wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:04 pm As I understand it you need the V5 showing the 'Historic' tax class before you can drop the MoT. If you have the standard V5 the DVLA computer will simply do the automatic insurance and MoT check before you can re-tax the vehicle.
In 1989 I had a 1979 Allegro 1.5L with twin SU carbs, apart from the rust and horrendous oil usage (5 litres of oil for every tankful of petrol) it was a good car, it did 115 mph, handled well (with a lot of body roll) and was comfortable, it was great fun chasing an XR3i from Hastings to the M25 in it, I couldn't pass it, but it couldn't leave me either. The fuel consumption was pretty bad from memory, about 25mpg, this may have been due to the way it was driven.
Honda Owner
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:17 am
In 1989 I had a 1979 Allegro 1.5L with twin SU carbs, apart from the rust and horrendous oil usage (5 litres of oil for every tankful of petrol) it was a good car, it did 115 mph, handled well (with a lot of body roll) and was comfortable, it was great fun chasing an XR3i from Hastings to the M25 in it, I couldn't pass it, but it couldn't leave me either. The fuel consumption was pretty bad from memory, about 25mpg, this may have been due to the way it was driven.
A friend had one with twin carbs, it was so horrendous on fuel we got a set of single carb bits(including exhaust for some reason) It seemed faster afterwards.. Also, if you take the wheels out an MTX125 will fit on the back seat..
Horse

Post by Horse »

chillitt wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am Also, if you take the wheels out an MTX125 will fit on the back seat..
You mean take the wheels off the car, use it as a shed?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

chillitt wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am
A friend had one with twin carbs, it was so horrendous on fuel we got a set of single carb bits(including exhaust for some reason) It seemed faster afterwards.. Also, if you take the wheels out an MTX125 will fit on the back seat..
Most of the exhaust fell off mine going over the Orwell Bridge
If you fold all the seats flat it makes a comfy double bed, a useful attribute in a car when you're 22.
Honda Owner
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am
chillitt wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am
Most of the exhaust fell off mine going over the Orwell Bridge
If you fold all the seats flat it makes a comfy double bed, a useful attribute in a car when you're 22.
She found out we had moved a bike with her precious car so that would not have been useful on this occasion..