In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

I have nothing to back this up statistically but my observation is a huge gap between wealth levels, I’m sure it wasn’t like this before.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Is the gap that big? Poor decades ago isn't the same as poor now. Now you can be poor, with sky tv, smart phone, £200 trainers......
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:34 am I have nothing to back this up statistically but my observation is a huge gap between wealth levels, I’m sure it wasn’t like this before.
Depends how far back you want to look, does rich mean owning your own home?
If wealth is a quality of life measure rather than financial then I expect pretty much everyone on here has an easier life than their grandparents, that doesn't necessarily mean happier so should happyness be a measure of wealth?

My point is the statement is easy to make but not so easy to back up.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It is all relative yes.

I've mentioned before that even the lowliest pleb in the UK has a much higher living standard than say.. Louis XIV or Alexander the Great.
Ant

Post by Ant »

The recent school leaver behind the Labour party PR makes yet again another blunder.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/l ... 15724.html
Last edited by Ant on Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

You may be correct. But if it's wrong, that clobbers the Great Reset theory on the rich getting richer.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Disney in another spat with Florida state.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65216192
The story itself isn't so interestng, what caught my eye is the contract period is tied to the existance of the British royal family.
BBC wrote:But last week, the new board said its powers had been stymied by a last-minute agreement that gives the entertainment giant almost total control over development in the district in perpetuity or until "21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England".
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mussels wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:42 am Disney in another spat with Florida state.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65216192
The story itself isn't so interestng, what caught my eye is the contract period is tied to the existance of the British royal family.
BBC wrote:But last week, the new board said its powers had been stymied by a last-minute agreement that gives the entertainment giant almost total control over development in the district in perpetuity or until "21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England".
That is just another government organization signing a contract it didnt understand. Lots of uk examples of that.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The thing about this Disney case is that Desantis is trying to punish Dinsey for disagreeing with him.

They don't support, or at least don't want to appear to support, his "don't say gay" thing, therefore Desantis wants to take away their tax/regulation perks.

Leaving aside anything about what you think of the actual bill or Disney, it does poke a few holes in the argument that only Democrats want to weaponise government function.
irie

Post by irie »

From the 'Merkan gun thread:
irie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:56 am
cheb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:48 am The SNP's squandering their supporters funds on campervans, and luxury socks and sandals?
I reckon the shortened SNP leadership campaign will run and run, probably through the courts as well ...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics ... p-contest/
At an emergency meeting the day after Nicola Sturgeon resigned, the party’s ruling NEC agreed to a rapid timetable for the contest, with a new leader in place within 40 days.

The party’s constitution states that the process should normally run for around 133 days.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:52 am The thing about this Disney case is that Desantis is trying to punish Dinsey for disagreeing with him.

They don't support, or at least don't want to appear to support, his "don't say gay" thing, therefore Desantis wants to take away their tax/regulation perks.

Leaving aside anything about what you think of the actual bill or Disney, it does poke a few holes in the argument that only Democrats want to weaponise government function.
The mainstream media narrative is fiercely pro LGBTQ+, it is actively promoting a specific set of sexual orientation. LGBTQ+ activists including so called transgender (transvestite) are targeting schools and desperate to get in at a very early age. They have all been instructed to refer to it as the "don't say gay " bill which is catchy, inflammatory and of course entirely false. Here's what the relevant section actually says:

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3"

That is to say, the LGBTQ+ activists would like to target 5 to 9 year olds with their chosen sexual orientation and adult fetishes., not to mention the body dysmorphic, mentally ill who insist they are not the sex they actually are in reality. This is an extremely young age to be discussing sex let alone sexual fetish. Looks like grooming to me.

You may wish to swallow the media narrative and their chosen euphemism but don't be fooled, the bill merely prevents the active recruitment of tiny children by a minority group of sexually obsessed adults.

The mutilation of children has become epidemic as this "gender identity" bollocks leads to more surgical intervention and life long drug treatments; castrating small children before they ever even begin to engage in normal sexual activity. It is sick and the motivation behind it is money. Surgery is expensive and they will be on these expensive and highly profitable "gender affirming" drugs FOR LIFE. So too is the inevitable life long therapy once the psychological damage starts to manifest in later life.

Is that the sort of thing we want to PROMOTE? And if Disney insist they are above the law, then they do not deserve to be allowed to continue as if they were an independent sovereign state either.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm not making any comment on the content of the bill. Merely the fact Desantis is using his position to 'punish' an organisation that doesn't support him.

Whether or not Disney have tax breaks or whatever is un-related to teaching something/anything in schools surely? The only reason he's connecting the two is because Disney publicly disagree with him?

I don't believe Disney run any schools for example (could be wrong, they have at least one town inside Disney World) so how are they going to directly effect/interact with this bill?
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:23 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:52 am The thing about this Disney case is that Desantis is trying to punish Dinsey for disagreeing with him.

The mainstream media narrative is fiercely pro LGBTQ+, it is actively promoting a specific set of sexual orientation. LGBTQ+ activists including so called transgender (transvestite) are targeting schools and desperate to get in at a very early age. They have all been instructed to refer to it as the "don't say gay " bill which is catchy, inflammatory and of course entirely false. Here's what the relevant section actually says:

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3"

That is to say, the LGBTQ+ activists would like to target 5 to 9 year olds with their chosen sexual orientation and adult fetishes., not to mention the body dysmorphic, mentally ill who insist they are not the sex they actually are in reality. This is an extremely young age to be discussing sex let alone sexual fetish. Looks like grooming to me.

You may wish to swallow the media narrative and their chosen euphemism but don't be fooled, the bill merely prevents the active recruitment of tiny children by a minority group of sexually obsessed adults.

The mutilation of children has become epidemic as this "gender identity" bollocks leads to more surgical intervention and life long drug treatments; castrating small children before they ever even begin to engage in normal sexual activity. It is sick and the motivation behind it is money. Surgery is expensive and they will be on these expensive and highly profitable "gender affirming" drugs FOR LIFE. So too is the inevitable life long therapy once the psychological damage starts to manifest in later life.

Is that the sort of thing we want to PROMOTE? And if Disney insist they are above the law, then they do not deserve to be allowed to continue as if they were an independent sovereign state either.
OK I’ll bite, how many children here and in the US have had surgical treatment related to Gender Dysphoria?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

If they want to stop children being brainwashed would they please exclude churches from having access to the kids as well, I've seen the damage a religious upbringing can do.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

JamJar wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:14 pm OK I’ll bite, how many children here and in the US have had surgical treatment related to Gender Dysphoria?
Tens of thousands... :(

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... outh-data/

This mental illness is an epidemic, created by and supported by drugs and medical services (Ltd.)
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:33 pm If they want to stop children being brainwashed would they please exclude churches from having access to the kids as well, I've seen the damage a religious upbringing can do.
Difference being, as soon as a child can start thinking for itself, it can either object or merely ignore those teachings. I agree there is widespread religious "indoctrination" perhaps even in the UK but it's not primarily Christian...

If you convince a child what it really wants is to have its dick chopped off and spend the rest of its life on a dangerous cocktail of drugs, it's too late. It won't grow back.

When I was that age, I wanted to be an astronaut, failing that I'd settle for Barry Sheene.
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

The next time we hear that the Police are under staffed and under funded, we'll have this badly thought out use of Police time to remind us that they obviously have too much time on their hands....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/golliwog-dol ... MjRtyQj3Q0
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:39 pm
JamJar wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:14 pm OK I’ll bite, how many children here and in the US have had surgical treatment related to Gender Dysphoria?
Tens of thousands... :(

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... outh-data/

This mental illness is an epidemic, created by and supported by drugs and medical services (Ltd.)
According to your link
The Komodo analysis of insurance claims found 56 genital surgeries among patients ages 13 to 17 with a prior gender dysphoria diagnosis from 2019 to 2021. Among teens, “top surgery” to remove breasts is more common. In the three years ending in 2021, at least 776 mastectomies were performed in the United States on patients ages 13 to 17 with a gender dysphoria diagnosis
cheb

Post by cheb »

How many unecessary male circumcisions?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:58 pm How many unecessary male circumcisions?
Or Female.

That wasn't really my point though. As above, my point is that Desantis is using the mechanisms of government to try and punish/influence an organisation for not supporting him. Disney don't run schools.

They've both painted themselves into corners now it would seem though.