Bob Heath Vee Wipe - does it work?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Hot_Air

Bob Heath Vee Wipe - does it work?

Post by Hot_Air »

:?: So, has anyone used one of these Vee Wipes? How well does it work (clear the rain off your visor)?

Bigyin

Re: Bob Heath Vee Wipe - does it work?

Post by Bigyin »

Havent seen one of them since the 80's

I remember trying one i got as a freebie and it sort of worked but ended up falling off the glove somewhere pretty soon afterwards
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I had some Bob Heath visor spray stuff many years ago.

Watched him race at Cadwell a few times too.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Yes they do IME :)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I do like the V2 Sponge as a visor cleaner :thumbup:
Bigyin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm Havent seen one of them since the 80's ... it sort of worked but ended up falling off the glove somewhere pretty soon afterwards
Never a company to sit on its rubber laurels, Bob Heath has used the intervening forty years to pursue a vigorous programme of innovation in rain clearance technology (adding a leash to prevent the Vee Wipe from falling off your glove).

However, hordes of screaming Amazon fans have given the Vee Wipe glowing reviews. Can a flock of Amazon rubber fanatics be wrong?
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Yep, I think they're great. But: they will fall off if you don't anchor them. I use a rubber band through one of the holes and round the wrist strap of the glove, and haven't lost one since. Some will say they'll scratch the visor, but there's usually a lot more rain than grit and I don't think the V-wipe has shortened the life of any of my visors.

Edit: didn't know about the leash - must be new since I got my last one.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Snake oil what you need is the "Turbo Visor"
https://images.app.goo.gl/qdeVCJHiB5ZWwtHd6
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Just Mr Sheen your visor to death then turn your head a little in the airflow and the water will bead off. Anything you use to wipe it will just smear and scratch your visor.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I get round this by not riding in the rain

Except when I do and then tend to be in my summer gloves which don't have a visor wipe. The best way round this is to wear my WP gloves as it then won't rain but I'll get sweaty mitts.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

They worked in 1986
Honda Owner
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

They work, but have an annoying habit of moving around your finger so the blade is in the wrong place.

NB. Before using one, modify it with a tether so it is attached to your glove. If you don't it will last approximately 1/2 an hour before vanishing into the distance.

A really good idea, but needs some development.#

Edit. £5.99, they are having a laugh! They are worth all of 99p. Mine was a freebie, years ago.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Never used one, but some gloves come with the rubber strip 'built in' - my BMW AllRound gloves have them.

I only use it if the grime coming off the road in really shitty weather is seriously bad (ie actual mud building up on the visor), otherwise I avoid touching the visor as much as possible. (Pledge every day for a super-slidey visor on the outside).

I use the Bob Heath Anti-Fog daily though, works much better (for me) than an insert.
non quod, sed quomodo
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:29 amA really good idea, but needs some development.
Bob Heath's not had long to develop this product - give the company a break! In the world of rain clearance technology, forty years is an R&D blink :)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:10 pmI avoid touching the visor as much as possible. (Pledge every day for a super-slidey visor on the outside).
Mr Sheen for me, and keeps the rain beading up and running off, but if the visor gets so crappy I can't see properly, I stop and clean it properly.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
TightRS

Post by TightRS »

Yeah had one for years, working well until it fell off somewhere. It did make one glove wetter iirc. It was a bit flappy on the end, but the black medium size fit snug on my small winter gloves. Still got a V wipe from a magazine, well about a 1 inch square left in the torn orange ziplock bag, which was awkward to open with gloves on.

I used Bob Heath anti-fog on my specs years ago, but it wasn't that great when it got colder. They were both last in this RiDE test, but I guess they've changed formula by now! I switched to Muc Off anti fog which seemed far superior. It did unscrew itself and leak so make sure to tighten up the spray lid. Looks like it was £7 when I got it but it's now £10.

One of the best purchases I made would be the ~£15 ' Black' muffs on Amazon, as the DL650 handguards didn't help much. I've actually had to turn down the heated grips in cold weather. Though they're the old analogue Oxford ones I got for £18 on ebay and newer ones are hotter?